Connor Macgregor Reviews...Music!

Tools    

After being on this forum for many and many of years (which has been wonderful, so thank you all for your kind comfort and cosy safe space), I've decided to tap into reviewing a format of entertainment I've long avoided due to a lack of understanding, and a format of which to reviews.

Until now...

Starting tonight (or soon if laziness rears its ugly head), I will take up the mantle of reviewing random songs in this thread, in a bid to find out what are some of my favourite songs of all time thus far.

It will be a challenge, it will be fun, and I welcome requests or suggestions as this musical journey can only be enhanced and broadened by the support of others who have vastly different tastes than my own.

I will be doing reviews hopefully in ten. So ten songs a post, with a paragraph of review and opinion, followed by a grade. Which will be done in marks out of 10, rather than the US grade system of As, Bs, etc...

All music will be different of genre, though I'm avoiding classical music and film scores. There has to be lyrics of sorts within the song for it to properly count.

But never the less, I'm eager to listen to all sorts of genres too. Ambient, Jazz, Country, Heavy Metal, Pop, you name it. I want it.

So, without further ado, let's begin...

Sorry - Justin Bieber (3:20)
I found this song kind of a funky. A good chilled nightclubesque tune which would rock the boats of many young Bieber fans out there who still scribble Mrs Justin Bieber in their diaries. Lyrics are basic, yet the chorus has a catchy beat to it, as well as a creative use of ‘Ooh’ which sounds very computery at points.
Rating – 7/10

I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker – Sandi Thorn (2:30)
What a creative yet very basic song. I mean, Sandi Thom deserves this hit when she initially wrote and made this song. It’s very passionate yet the use of other instruments is minimal, with only a tambourine, drums and chorus assisting in her only. I love her voice too, very natural and sounds like a bird spreading its wings for what may be the very first time in her life. Terrific song!
Rating – 8/10

Rock Bottom – Hailee Steinfeld, DNCE (3:18)
It’s not a bad song, nor does it really stand out. I find that Hailee Steinfeld has struggled to really be a major pop star in the music field, considering who she is going up against. The pre chorus & chorus are good, yet the verses can be quite weak and unmemorable, and it took me a few listens to get some layer of a story. Also neither Steinfeld or DNCE have very memorable voices.
Rating – 7/10

Diamonds – Josef Salvat (4:07)
This version of Diamonds is almost so different to that of its parent version. A much more somber and sincere version, but yet if put in various different contexts, can masquerade in both upbeat and downer moods. It’s a very beautiful listen, one that can enhance all types of emotions if possible.
Rating – 8.5/10

Murder On The Dance Floor – Sophie Ellis-Bextor (3:50)
This is such a fun listen. Argueably one of my top nostalgic songs of the 2000s, and one of the most underrated songs out there. Great fun cheeky lyrics with a great backing track to go with it. It’s a song that gets you on your feet, and one to have great fun with at the same time.
Rating – **** it: 9.5/10

Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson feat Bruno Mars (4:29)
Uptown Funk is saved by its absolute killer beat, which is the main anchor of the song. Lyrics can get a little repetitive and at times hard to make sense, yet the disco funk feel of the song is key to its inevitable enjoyment.
Rating – 8.5/10

Why Her Not Me – Grace Carter (3:50)
Grace Carter is really a rising star in her own right, after this devastatingly powerful track which is arguably one of the most personal and volatile I’ve ever heard. A powerful, dramatic, emotional, angry song with a strong voice backed by haunting music to really deliver the punch. Grace writes her own words in a song that deals with betrayal, loss and anger.
Rating – 9/10

Ocean Eyes – Billie Eilish (3:20)
What a sweet enduring listen. There is known to be two types of Billie Eilish right now: the more eccentric, experimental harder listen like bad guy, and then there’s the more softer more beautiful listen like ocean eyes. Lyrics are poetic and easy to digest, while the music remains tranquil and ambient for the eardrums to feast on. A delicacy of pure music.
Rating – 8.5/10

These Days – Bailey Jehl (2:31)
A much more softer and nicer rendition to this song. Bailey Jehl has a gorgeous little set of vocals, as well as nice relaxed guitar to conjure up a slower yet more sweeter version. I liked it. Very Sunday morning listen, and one I will happily go back to many times more.
Rating – 7/10

I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker – Sandi Thorn (2:30) What a creative yet very basic song. I mean, Sandi Thom deserves this hit when she initially wrote and made this song. It’s very passionate yet the use of other instruments is minimal, with only a tambourine, drums and chorus assisting in her only. I love her voice too, very natural and sounds like a bird spreading its wings for what may be the very first time in her life. Terrific song!
Rating – 8/10
I like Thorn's voice. Reminds me a little of Crystal Gayle's. That's a good song, and very catchy, so it's understandable that it was a hit.

The video is interesting and unusual in that the background and action speeds up and slows down, but her lip syncing and vocals remain in normal speed.

Factually punk rocker gals were not particularly known for wearing flowers in their hair, whereas Hippies were. Instead of the term "punk rocker" they could have used "Hippie girl" or some such. But you can't knock success!

The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens (2:42)
I always enjoy listening to this version, even if its predecessor has very little difference. The music feels at times other worldly, yet remains very jungle themed throughout. Lyrics are easy to follow and its nice not to hear very sexual or love inducing lyrics for once.
RATING: 7/10

Like A Prayer – Madonna (5:38)
This is rather epic sounding when you really listen to it. Madonna’s consistent run in pop culture is damn impressive despite your feelings about her today, and this is just one of those songs that has proved her staying power through generations. This is a mix of funky dance and serious operatic music, with the final third of the song being rapid and intense. That being said lyrics could have been better, and were quite generic at times.
RATING: 8.5/10

The Sound Of Sunshine – Michael Franti & Spearhead (3:45)
This song just makes me so happy when it begins. Such an upbeat beach friendly tune with an exotic and awesome vibe that makes you want to sing on a deckchair. There’s nothing negative about this song, and a perfect alternative summer tune.
RATING: 9/10

Just The Two Of Us – Grover Washington Jr & Bill Withers (3:57)
This is such a gorgeous and almost timeless song in itself. Beautifully composed with a nice soft jazz melody that was part of a unique genre, with some romantic undertones and lyrics that just makes this such a gem of a listen.
RATING: 9/10

Glorious – Macklemore ft Skylar Grey (3:40)
To say this song is underrated is an understatement. It’s a brilliant song that could really lift up so many in a tight mood. It has a catchy exciting beat, with good uses of several instruments such as piano among many things. The chorus is to die for with lyrics so fantastic and inspiring, its absolute to listen again.
RATING: 9.5/10

Beyond The Sea – Robbie Williams (4:27)
It’s a nice listen, absolutely. Though it doesn’t touch the original at all, and the end tends to drift out a bit for my taste. Still, good attempt by Robbie.
RATING: 7.5/10

Thriller – Michael Jackson (5:57)
I don’t really to tell you how good Thriller is. I mean, its up there as one of the best songs of all time, which in many ways already reveals the score. But hey. It’s a horror song done right, with groovy fun spooky music with lyrics to die for. Michael Jackson is at the top of his game with a song he must know will be a success. But the cultural impact it has had is undeniable. For many generations going forward, this has been one of the songs to listen to, along with an epic and game-changing music video alongside. Oh, and Vincent Price being involved makes it just as special.
RATING: 10/10

The Gambler – Kenny Rogers (3:34)
Paying tribute to a legend of country music, Kenny Rogers’s The Gambler is arguably one of the most iconic country songs ever made. With creative lyrics that tell a beautiful effective story, it’s a very atmospheric country song with gorgeous vocals and a melody that has you swaying back and forth along with Rogers himself.

RIP Kenny

RATING - 10/10

For this post, I've decided to review an entire album to shake things up a little. And I'll start with arguably the most famous singer in the world right now...Taylor Swift!

Her first album was released in 2006, almost an entirely different music scene at the time. Yet she took the country route and made a splash very quickly.

Tim McGraw – Taylor Swift (3:52)
Ah, Tim McGraw. The song that began it all for Ms Swift. It’s a very soft melody that has a nice sound, very easy to listen to. To unwind. Very beginners country. Though it does lack a bit of a punch perhaps.
7/10

Picture To Burn (2:53)
A much more funky song to listen to. Though it comes off a bit too easy for my taste. The melody is good though, as well as a nice chorus.
6.5/10

Teardrops On My Guitar (3:23)
One of Swift’s more delicate and softer songs to listen to. It’s much more sincere and sadder, yet has a sweet touch to it. The rhyming here is beautiful and distinctive and it overall comes across a very strong song on the album.
8/10

A Place In This World (3:19)
I think it’s a bit bland for my taste, though I do think the chorus is pretty strong. It just contains pretty weak verses.
6/10

Cold As You (3:59)
This is a really nice listen, with some power in this song that others in the album really lack. The Lyrics are nice too, with a great melody and chorus that absolutely wins me over.
7.5/10

The Outside (3:27)
This is ok. Not great nor bland, just ok. Beat is pretty nice but not a very distinctive song.
7/10

Tied Together With A Smile (4:08)
Long, deep yet very nice. Soft and nice to listen to. Much more country than country pop and definitely underrated.
8/10

Stay Beautiful (3:56)
This is quite a bland tune, that doesn’t come off very memorable or distinctive at all. It has dull lyrics and is very forgettable.
5.5/10

Should’ve Said No (4:02)
The melody is not very memorable here and I don’t even think Swift performs this song very well. The lyrics are somewhat decent.
5.5/10

Mary’s Song (Oh My My My) (3:33)
It’s a lovely song with a nice melody and feels sweet to listen to.
7/10

Our Song (3:21)
Ah, our song. Very country sounding and overall just very jolly to listen too. I like the lyrics and just how cheerful the music is all around.
7.5/10

I’m Only Me When I’m With You (3:33)
Unlike the other songs on this album, this has more of a pop-rock feel to it than country. It is also very forgettable and quite boring to listen to.
5/10

Invisible (3:23)
I think this is a nice and sincere song. It has a good melody and the lyrics are nice to listen too.
7.5/10

A Perfectly Good Heart (3:40)
This song is a bit generic to end the album and doesn’t really stand out as a song. It has repetitive lyrics as well as no second verse at all.
6.5/10

Lean On Me – Bill Withers (4:18)

Paying tribute to a legend tonight with a gorgeous piano led song about relying on others through tough times. Ring any bells? Beautiful simple lyrics with striking use of piano and lounge music to make this a soothing and moving listen.
9/10

Ain’t No Sunshine – Bill Withers (2:03)

A short yet sombering song which focuses on sadness due to absent love. Its nice, a good 70s R&B soft song to relax too.
8/10

Lovely Day – Bill Withers (4:09)

This one is more upbeat, both in lyric and melody. A joyful song with the image of Bill Withers strolling through 70s New York without a care free in the world. I really like it. Something happy, upbeat and sweet to listen to. With a growing smile. The type to tap your feet to.

8.5/10