Everyone Seems To Pay More $$$ For Cable/Streaming

Tools    

I think whether you save money using streaming or paying for cable depends on how many TVs you have. This was my experience. For me, I had one cable box. I cancelled cable and tried youtube tv, and I ended up not saving much money. Also, if I had to actually pay for all of the streaming services that I currently have, it would actually exceed what I paid when I was paying for cable. So, I'm sometimes kind of not understanding why cord cutting is so popular, and there are so many articles of how cord cutting saves money, since for me, it was a negligible amount of savings between Youtube TV and a cable subscription. The people saving money must have 3 TVs and be paying for cable boxes for each one, or have an expensive plan with a ton of channels that cost $200 a month. Also, if you have a nice TV, generally, the quality of things like Youtube TV is worse than cable, since cable is a direct connection that is hard wired, and things like youtube tv are largely wireless. Also, many channels streaming are only 720p rather than 1080p. I found the hard line of a cable connection had a significantly better picture on my TV, and this is also true of the company aps on Apple TV like Fox, ABC, NBC, etc. Additionally, when you try to only pay for Internet, the cable companies downgrade the quality of your Internet, which negatively impacts the picture you receive, and also, a disproportionate share of the costs are for the Internet. When you bundle Internet and TV, you usually pay less than if you paid for either of them separately.The strategy people are talking about in this thread which involves signing up and cancelling different streaming services depending on what you want to watch and when, and cycling through that way, would obviously save money. Would be interested if any people with only one TV ended up saving a substantial amount of money by going Internet only with their cable company.

I suspect a lot of cord cutters (and the articles around saving money by doing so) aren't looking to completely replicate what they had with cable.

I haven't had cable in decades. I'm just wondering what was the difference in price for you for internet + cable vs just internet? Asking out of real curiosity, since at this point I have no concept of what the cable part of the package runs.