The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab

Tools    

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
Andrei Rublev! I'm still mystified by that film, and I haven't watched it in over 2 years! #1 next to The Sacrifice in my personal Tarkovsky list.

Godard fan, eh?

Unique top 10 you got there, Notre Musique was my first Godard, not great but Definently an intresting piece by the man

Agreed, I was trying to pick the films that had a noticable effect on me. I would actually say that 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her is a far better Godard film, but some of his Nouvelle Vague films don't have the same visceral force as the later (Notre Musique, Keep Your Right Up!, Forever Mozart) which lack the narrative cohesian the earlier films.

I agree with your sentiment regarding Dead Man, I still adore Down by Law for its mise-en-scene. The noirish New Orleans, steady, understated. Roberto Benigni's character kept the movie interesting after the break out (the restaurant with the Italian woman is particularly fun) Waits and Lurie were uninspiring.
Definitely. I put a spell on you....

Simon of the Desert

Film: If church isn't enough to convince you of the high absurdity of religious fanaticism, then watch Simon of the Desert. Filmed by Luis Bunuel in Mexico, the film takes religious text of bible, and shows it when worshiped as truth. It could've showed the more genocidal and hellish acts depicted as "good deeds", but instead it brings the parts that make the bible (or more the worshipers) a laughing stock. It's much more than a mockery though. It's a story of obsession, spirituality, and self inflicted misery. The film has been overshadowed over the years, but I encourage a watch of this satire. It left a surreal feeling on me, it's a great perspective on excessive spirituality.

Picture: B&W picture always looks great on criterion discs, so obviously no complaints

Audio: Sounded good to me, nothing amazing, but good

Arthouse/Packaging: Disc was easy to remove, cover art looked fine, and artwork on the book was awesome

Supplements: There were only two things on the disc (it's a $25 release afterall). One was a pretty boring documentary on Bunuels works in Mexico and the other was an exclusive interview with Pineal. The booklet had a very nice essay and a though provoking interview

Total:

For the price get it, and if Criterion continues its pattern this will be OOP anyday now

Releases for April

Richard III (reissue) - Olivier
Gate of Hell - Kinugasa
Naked Lunch (reissue) - Cronenberg
Repo Man - Cox
Pierre Etaix collection
Eclipse 38: Kobayashi Against the System

Good releases, I'm especially looking forward to Richard III. March and April releases are gonna empty my wallet, I have mixed feelings on that.

Fritz Lang's Ministry of Fear
Charlie Chaplin Monsieur Verdoux
Jean Loach and Edgar Morin Chronicle of a Summer

I might be up for buying 2 and 3, I'll catch the Chaplin flick on Hulu plus, to spare my wallet.

Jean Loach and Edgar Morin Chronicle of a Summer
Jean Rouch.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just wanted to post the art for Repo Man. Has to be amongst my favourite ever pieces of cover art. I'd be tempted to buy it for that alone

Question mofos, from the March criterions which ones are you expecting to buy if any? I'm very intrigued by the Chaplin one and The Blob personally.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I already own Blimp but it and Verdoux are the best, and The Blob the worst although it's campy enough for a few watches.

Just wanted to post the art for Repo Man. Has to be amongst my favourite ever pieces of cover art. I'd be tempted to buy it for that alone

I can't wait to get this.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

April 16th???!!! I can't take the pressure!!!