Criterion Collection Top Ten

Tools    

When you register for an account on the Criterion Collection's website, they allow you to make a top ten list of your favorite films in the collection. I think it would be interesting to see everyone's top ten; it may expose me to some films I wouldn't otherwise be interested in. The site lets you sell out and "tie" two movies for a singular spot, hence why some numbers have two films.

10.) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie reeks of low level sleaze; and that's why I love it.

9.) Mafioso (1962)

From the more fraternal Sicilian Mafia to the syndicated New York Mafia, I love the duality
of how the Mafia is portrayed in Mafioso.

8.) Pickup on South Street (1953) TIE

A solid noir by Samuel Fuller which adapts to the paranoia of the Cold War. Equally solid performances by the amazing Richard Widmark and the beautiful Jean Peters.

8.) The Naked City (1948) TIE

Decades ahead of its time in realistic, police procedural dramas. Another film that doesn’t get the praise that it deserves for its influence on modern culture.

7.) Night and the City (1950)

If not the best noir, Night and the City is definitely one of the most hard hitting and cruel. Can't say enough good things about this movie.

6.) Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

The first time I saw Ralph Meeker in a movie was his role as Bugs Moran in Roger Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967). I thought Meeker was the perfect fit for the role; he seemed like the only actor that could buck the great Jason Robards' over the top portrayal of Capone. I then saw Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957), and his portrayal of Corporal Paris made the movie for me. By the time I got to Kiss Me Deadly (1955), I was excited to see Meeker in a lead role in a film noir. Meeker's viciousness as Mike Hammer makes Kiss Me Deadly one of my favorite noirs, with an apocalyptic ending appropriate for the closing of the classic period of the genre.

5.) Homicide (1991) TIE

David Mamet has a great talent for writing dialogue that convinces me that's how people really talk; and the dialogue in Homicide boarders on poetry.

5.) Thief (1981) TIE

What I love about Thief (1981), and can be seen in Mann's Heat (1995), is that Mann's criminal underworld is an ecosystem, filled with different criminals specified to do different jobs.

4.)The Hit (1984)

What I love about The Hit is its basis in reality. In the beginning of the film, when Stamp is being led out of the courtroom after informing on his gang, the accused start singing "We'll Meet Again". This was a real event that happened to Derek Creighton "Bertie" Smalls, the first major informant, which they call "supergrass” that struck a deal with the government in exchange for testimony in 1974; sort of like a British Joe Valachi. Given a new identity, Smalls went to Spain, but quickly came back to London. But in the late 70s, several British gangsters would lam it in Spain, following the collapse of the extradition treaty between Spain and the United Kingdom.

3.) The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

This is John Huston in top form. The brutish, yet human, Dix Handley, brilliantly portrayed by Sterling Hayden, makes this my favorite Huston film and Hayden performance.

2.) The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) TIE

I don't think any other actor could have captured the inherit masculine sadness of the role of Eddie "Fingers" Coyle like Robert Mitchum. Operating on the fringes of the Boston underworld, Coyle and his "friends" eke out a meager existence in low level crime. The release The Friends of Eddie Coyle is well timed in hindsight, given the revelations of Irish gangsters like Whitey Bulger cooperating with authorities while they continued to commit crime.

2.) The Long Good Friday (1980) TIE

Razors: Who's big enough to take you on?
Harold: Well, there were a few.
Razors: Like who?
Harold: Yeah, they're all dead.

For some reason, since the first time I saw The Long Good Friday (1980), that conversation always stuck with me. I think it not only summarizes who Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) is, a violent thug that killed his way to the top of the London Underworld, but foreshadows the violent conclusion of the movie, which seals his fate.

1.) Blast of Silence (1961)

This is a mean movie. Not only does Blast of Silence (1961) hold up extremely well, but its influence on the modern gangster genre goes almost unrecognized

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Copied from this earlier thread where we eventually all listed our own.

My fave Criterion movies are apparently not going to be mentioned right now, but these ten are ones I will mention which I adore and believe that everyone should watch. I only wish I could add some more British comedies. These are organized as if they were tracks on a 33 and 1/3.

Z
Pygmalion
The Shop on Main Street
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Straw Dogs
Night and Fog
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
Days of Heaven
Berlin Alexanderplatz

I will get one of my fave Bergman's in the mail today or tomorrow for rental. It was just released yesterday. There is also one out-of-print "Essential Art House Classics" which is available for Netflix rental. Oops! Netflix doesn't have it (nor Bonderchuk's War and Peace), so it's available at Blockbuster online. At least one person here told me they rented and loved it.

****ing Berlin Alexanderplatz!!!!!

When I was in college, our library had the criterion copy to rent out to students.

Usually for mid terms and finals, we would get the Friday before off to study. Instead of doing that, it became a tradition to marathon Berlin Alexanderplatz in my dorm, and try get through all of it in one sitting. After three attempts, me and a group of friends were unsuccessful, and I eventually just watched it over the course of a week on my own. Had someone in the same group claim that he marathoned The Dekalog in one sitting.

Also, solid list. I'm also a big fan of Z (1969)

The most loathsome of all goblins
1) Mulholland Dr
2) The Red Shoes
3) Red River
4) Kiss Me Deadly
5) Beauty and the Beast
6) Only Angels Have Wings
7) Charade
8) My Darling Clementine
9) Black Narcissus
10) Orpheus

1. Dr Strangelove
2. Mulholland Dr
3. Seven Samurai
4. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
5. Rashomon
6. Eraserhead
7. Man Bites Dog
8. Le Samurai
9. Kiss Me Deadly
10. Chasing Amy

Kind of hard to do this top ten. I could have easily put in Tokyo Story, Sansho the Baliff, damn near everything Kurosawa ever made, Blue is the Warmest Color, the Wes Anderson movies, Rififi, Ashes and Diamonds, Army of Shadows, and so many more movies.

1) Mulholland Dr
2) The Red Shoes
3) Red River
4) Kiss Me Deadly
5) Beauty and the Beast
6) Only Angels Have Wings
7) Charade
8) My Darling Clementine
9) Black Narcissus
10) Orpheus
Nice selections. I particularly liked The Red Shoes and Kiss Me Deadly. Le Belle and Le Bete was very good too.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Nice selections. I particularly liked The Red Shoes and Kiss Me Deadly.
Kiss Me Deadly is my second-favorite noir after The Big Sleep. Incredible film, and holy crap that ending.
Le Belle and Le Bete was very good too.
I'd go as far as to call it a masterpiece, amazing atmosphere. It was also a huge influence on Ridley Scott's Legend,which is my favorite film of all time.

Kiss Me Deadly is my second-favorite noir after The Big Sleep. Incredible film, and holy crap that ending.I'd go as far as to call it a masterpiece, amazing atmosphere. It was also a huge influence on Ridley Scott's Legend,which is my favorite film of all time.
Kiss Me Deadly is actually my favorite Noir. Double Indemnity would be my number 2. We totally agree there.