Musicals
40.35%
23 votes
War
31.58%
18 votes
Noir
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I don't know that I would consider a two-vote swing a "surge" exactly, but yeah.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think we should realistically have these 4 choices be the next 4 countdowns, not including the decade countdowns that we will do redux.
I like this idea, and it may be the only way we ever get a musical countdown.

I think voting each time for a genre choice can work good, if we do it like this poll is made. I like how the genre choices are new ones and not genres we've done before...and if we keep doing it like this poll then eventually we'll get to those other choices so that then people who are patiently waiting for musicals or noir will eventually get their turn.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I like this idea, and it may be the only way we ever get a musical countdown.
I have a feeling you are right. I'm not a monster fan or anything but it deserves a proper list just like the other 3 as well.

Comedies the only option here that makes sense for a full 100 countdown to me, I'd participate in all but musicals- but comedies only one that really intrigues me.

Tbh I'm gonna be kinda bored till we start the 2010s countdown

And comedies take a commanding lead! It's all over, people.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not sure what is a comedy will be as clear cut and easy to define as it seems. I've tried making a preliminary top ten for all four of these categories and comedies is actually quite hard. Do you go for the best film that happens to be listed as a comedy somewhere? Or should your list of comedies be comprised of the films you find funniest? Do we take a Shakespearian view of comedy as anything that isn't a tragedy? What if it's both comedy and tragedy? Does visual style go out the window in favour of a focus on humour? (For directors of comedies, the answer to that would seem to be yes, often, but should it?) Will the entire countdown be people moaning that the films aren't funny enough? (Probably - the 90s and 2000s countdowns had people moaning the films weren't 90s/2000s enough, even though the criteria was literally only to be released in the given decade). Or do I just not watch enough comedies? Come to think of it, TV comedies come to mind much quicker than film comedies.

(Obviously the answer to most of these questions is going to be that it's up to each person to compile their top 25 as they see fit.)

If it ends up being Comedies, and judging by the absolute thrashing its giving the other categories, it will be... we all know Paul Blart will take the top spot, with Ghostbusters (2016) taking 2nd place.

Comedies should have the least amount of debate about what would qualify. Every movie should be eligible. If you think There Will Be Blood is the funniest film you've ever seen and it keeps getting funnier every single time you see it, have at it.

If it is comedies, my list would probably be based off of how many laughs I get from the movie. Dr. Strangelove is a top 3 all time movie for me but in terms of overall laughs it's maybe top ten. One of the Jackass movies, which will never be confused with great cinema, would probably place higher than Strangelove on my ballot. There will be
"comedy" movies that won't even make my top 25. When it comes to comedy, plot is a distant second in terms of importance. I want laughs and lots of them. That's it. My top films probably will have both, a ton of laughs and a good story but that's a rare bird and should only take up about four spots. There Will Be Crap would be appropriate title for my top 25 comedies list.