Film Expectations

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Sure, the first time I saw The Matrix was awesome! It was in Dublin, btw. But a really good film I think you should be able to watch over and over again. And I guess someone is able to watch The Matrix over and over again, so......
heh, maybe I was being too simplistic but the resonance is there.

It all boils down to taste in the end I guess. There's quite a few films that I never tire of watching (which would make them 'timeless' in my eyes I guess) though they tend to be character driven and not effects-led, which is what we're all basically saying.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by MinionTV
I like that idea. Wasn't the original WOTR used by Orson Welles on the radio to produce major general panic?
Saw a prog on that the other day. They did it 'realism' style - but the radio also put out intermissions stressing that it was a play once panic started to break out. People somehow glossed over those bits and got carried away anyway. (Part of the prob was that it was done as news bulletins arriving between sections of music - the style of the day).

Guess they were just primed - that was where their fears were at maybe? (And Welles played expertly on the media-forms/expectations of the time ).

Adding your own messgages to that rollercoaster ride could induce slight brain washing techniques too.
Yeah, i reckon 'suggestive' stuff can take place. Not sure whether Spielberg always goes to the most stellar of places with his ponderings tho. Wouldn't be surprised if the swing he's put on the story is a bit of a mish-mash of sentiments and other puppy-dog things.

Just how far could it push the scare-tactic? (Surely heading for one hell of a dystopia where big bro fills us in on current events.) Maybe going off-tangent...
They ain't there yet . But there's plenty of residual ideas that hang around in the media web.

And that sort of leads to this other tangent o'sorts...

Sure, the first time I saw The Matrix was awesome!
I thought they had some potential going on too . Definitely got sucked in on first bust-a-move/suggest-a-groove viewing. Shame that whatever potential it had turned to poo.

I think it'll be remembered mainly for its action-formula-revision, and its apparent attempt to add in potential existential ponderings too. In the end tho the series sided fully with visual-shock-jockery.

Now, something that'd shake my expectations would be a film that actually managed to be visually/emotionally bombastic in the successful Hollywood vein, yet shockingly-questioning and suggestively-informative at the same time.

Reckon i'm asking for too much ; ).

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Golgot
Now, something that'd shake my expectations would be a film that actually managed to be visually/emotionally bombastic in the successful Hollywood vein, yet shockingly-questioning and suggestive/informative at the same time.
I think it'll be sometime before we see Lost in Terminator 2. However, saying that I do think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind hits that vein quite nicely, well not in a Hollywood way anyway.

I think it'll be sometime before we see Lost in Terminator 2. However, saying that I do think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind hits that vein quite nicely, well not in a Hollywood way anyway.
Ah, it was kinda glam. Had a slick thing going on. But, yeah, it's indy roots still showed through.

I think the thing i'm hankering after is an almost pointless creation anyway. You shouldn't have to engage people's emotions to make them want to think. That emotion kick should come along anyway - the personal thing you bring to a movie that Piddz and Tas were talking about.

But still... maybe a movie that was both sensationally and cerebrally tight (alright... and profuse too). That'd be good.

I'd love to think The Constant Gardner is gonna hit that spot, but i'm not sure you can really combine issues and those style of thrills.

Interesting, I was thinking sort of the same thing about The Constant Gardner. I think it's very difficult to promote these types of movies, however way I look at the trailer I know I'll be misdirected.

But you're right, you shouldn't need to be engaged to think a certain way and I think that even applies to before you watch a movie. Some of my favourite movies have been 'late night' suprise viewings in which I've never seen the trailer.

Anyway, i'm changing your point a bit. We've all seen so many movies in which we're 'guided' through, it's a bit patronising.

Anyway, i'm changing your point a bit. We've all seen so many movies in which we're 'guided' through, it's a bit patronising.
Yeah, problem is, a lot of complex 'issues' can't be summed up in a presentable way. You've either gotta have the hard-graft of dealing with the details - or you get the glossy air-mag summary.

I'm still tempted by the idea of a film that sells itself as frolicking fun but sneakily sinks the fangs of intrigue into its victims instead .

(Or, failing that, cuts the controversy and sticks one-option thoughts in their heads. Should i move into politics or what? )

As long as there's movies pumping over our screens and I am fully aware (or try to be) of what message (if any) they're trying to send out then I'm happy.

For some reason I'm having flasbacks of Pearl Harbor. Mixing war with pleasure? You decide.

I'm feeling so skatty today, one side of my head is trying to contradict the other. Wait a minute, what was this thread about again?

Baby's brains...

...and...

---
EDIT
---

Ok, i'm worried now. Not only does that baby have an arachnoid in its brain - but his brain is labelled 'brain'.

Dumb dumb-ing down.

*mumble incoherently.... yet perceivably*

That is amazingly excellent. 'Brain' is the only bit I remember, I think (*minion asks own brain*), yeah.

Would you watch that cartoon version of Great Expectations with your family? There's a scary thought. I don't think that version will hold the test of time, even against the recent adaptations.

(How's that for getting the thread back on subject?)

I didn't expect that.

(Are you a film?)

---
EDIT:
---

Oh alright, thread duty...

I didn't expect The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to be any good.

Does that count? (It wasn't either - and i swear that wasn't down to just me)

I thought it'd be ok but I'd only read the first book before hand. Seemed rushed to me though, they got through the first book in about 20 mins.

There's a film on channel 4 at the moment called 'Jism' and I don't know if you're aware of it's slang word meaning but the movie is not what I expected at all.

I thought it'd be ok but I'd only read the first book before hand. Seemed rushed to me though, they got through the first book in about 20 mins.
Yeah, its just didn't catch the more strung-out ponderings of Adam's style. I thought that was their biggest mistake. Emphasis on silliness alone rather than the sense-searching side to his style.

There's a film on channel 4 at the moment called 'Jism' and I don't know if you're aware of it's slang word meaning but the movie is not what I expected at all.
Ain't Bollywood sexy enough for ya?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Yeah, I agree with that. There's a part in which Tim Robbins portrays some sort of paranoid schizophrenic who ends up posing an equal threat upon the main characters. I couldn't help think that there was some sort of social satire afoot here but couldn't put my finger on it.
I read a brief interview with Tim Robbins last night. He said that his character represents all the mobs and what war can do to the individual and to the mob. That's how he wanted that character to be read but he also said that's not how it necessarily has to be read or that it is how Spielberg necessarily meant it to be perceived. Robbins is as we all know very critical of Bush and the war in Iraq. Just like in War of the Worlds no occupation can be successful in the longrun, he says.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

In the Beginning...
I read a brief interview with Tim Robbins last night. He said that his character represents all the mobs and what war can do to the individual and to the mob. That's how he wanted that character to be read but he also said that's not how it necessarily has to be read or that it is how Spielberg necessarily meant it to be perceived. Robbins is as we all know very critical of Bush and the war in Iraq. Just like in War of the Worlds no occupation can be successful in the longrun, he says.
Whether you agree with him or not, just be glad that he expressed himself this way in an appropriate role (and not in a romantic comedy or something).

Just like in War of the Worlds no occupation can be successful in the longrun, he says.
I guess Robbins never heard of that little place an occupying force once named America a few hundred years ago…

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I guess Robbins never heard of that little place an occupying force once named America a few hundred years ago…

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…
Hmm.... I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

In the Beginning...
Hmm.... I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
She meant that the colonial settlers who fought for independence and founded this country have occupied the land for quite some time now.

Only, I think Robbins means that a military force cannot successfully occupy a foreign place for an extended period of time (which would hold true for the British who gave up fighting here).

Originally Posted by Sleezy
She meant that the colonial settlers who fought for independence and founded this country have occupied the land for quite some time now.

Only, I think Robbins means that a military force cannot successfully occupy a foreign place for an extended period of time (which would hold true for the British who gave up fighting here).

I guess that is one way to put it… but I was actually referring more to the fact that to American Indians, the colonial settlers were the occupying force… and that for them (the settlers), the occupation worked out quiet well…

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I guess that is one way to put it… but I was actually referring more to the fact that to American Indians, the colonial settlers were the occupying force… and that for them (the settlers), the occupation worked out quiet well…
Ah, good point. Although, I think the situation with this country was a little different, because it wasn't the occupation by one nation. The French, English, Spanish, German, and many more nations were all here fighting for control. Had it just been one nation, we might have had different results.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
Anyway, unlike the original the aliens die of bird flu which is relevant.
Bird flu? I thought they died from germs, bacteria and viruses (Yeah I know. Bird flu is caused by virus). I believe the part in which the birds are on the tripods it's just to show the energy shield was off not to say the birds infected the aliens.
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".