Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I get that. I’m just willing to believe him transforming her from street urchin to woman of privilege buys some friendship cache despite his enormous shortcomings.

Not enough for a romance, because jeezy creezy is he repellent on that front, but as an eccentric amigo that’ll help her live fat? I can live with that.

But he is clearly gay, right? If he didn’t fall in love with her at the end (which I’m not saying he does!), everyone would chalk his mannerisms and behavior to the era not being able to explicitly state his homosexuality. This movie is essentially Queer Eye for the Poor Girl. I will die on this hill!
Yeah, I've had more than a few discussions about this rich, older gay couple that takes in a street urchin and trains her to be a "lady".
I mean, "Why Can't A Woman Be More Like A Man", amiright?

Agreed. But his ownership of her success---again, it's always that he has made her--and his inability to acknowledge her feelings means that he is welcome to some affection and pity but also that he really doesn't deserve to be the "last stop" for her character. Have that reconciliation sequence AFTER she's married Freddy and I'm cool with it, honestly.

I can live with him being her one weird friend, but the intent of that ambiguous ending is to open a door for romance, and on that front I find it repulsive and a betrayal of her story arc.

He strikes me, frankly, as being more asexual than gay (though this might be more the effect of the way that gay characters have their sexuality scrubbed away in older movies/writing). While he does literally sing a song about how much he'd like to be married to someone exactly like Pickering, it seems to me that he has no sense of romance at all. He wants company and predictability. As an intelligent person, I think that he wants someone who is more of an equal who will grace him with some friction from time to time--something his servants are limited in their capacity to do. I do think that his "Why aren't women more like men?" song is kind of a joke, because the fragility that he describes in woman (being upset if someone is home at the wrong time) is exactly the behavior he himself exhibits.

He does, completely seriously, make me think of students I have (and adult clients I've worked with) whose disabilities make it incredibly challenging for them to regard other people as having wants and needs that might be as important (or more important!) than theirs.

In other words, he's a self-centered buffoon, and the movie gets this hilariously correct until the moment it suggests that Eliza might choose him as a romantic partner.
I think structurally it works as their relationship is the center point of the film, though I would’ve liked to see the outcome of her away from him regardless.

While I agree the intent is to leave the door open for romance, I have to remark on how easy they made it to close that door. There’s no big kiss scene with sweeping music (unless I blocked it from my mind), truly definitive declarations of romantic love, nor epilogue of marriage and kids. Compared to many of Hepburn’s other oddball pairings (Bogart, Astaire, and Cooper for instance), the film becomes oddly non-committal on that front.

I know a great deal of my reading comes from my “death of the author” and refusal to give into the romantic reading but I find it highly intriguing that the film doesn’t do that and has those scenes where he expresses a preference for men. It almost strikes me as though the director, George Cukor (noted high profile gay man that would throw lavish gay parties) was wanting to say something about the male/female dynamic that transcends romance/sexual preference and hadn’t been portrayed on screen (beard culture, if you will).

I’d need to rewatch it before I could truly articulate this reading but I know upon watching, I felt like I’d cracked a secret meaning to the film, hidden to escape cultural norms.

But I agree, there’s many other things wrong with Harrison’s character than any closeted resentment of women/poor people. He seems to have a distinct issue with treating other humans as human. Then again, I usually just chalk that up to wealth and privilege.

I know a great deal of my reading comes from my “death of the author” and refusal to give into the romantic reading but I find it highly intriguing that the film doesn’t do that and has those scenes where he expresses a preference for men. It almost strikes me as though the director, George Cukor (noted high profile gay man that would throw lavish gay parties) was wanting to say something about the male/female dynamic that transcends romance/sexual preference and hadn’t been portrayed on screen (beard culture, if you will).
Well, it's really death of the second author here. The problem is that the film (both films, actually) stay faithful to Shaw's play literally up until the last 10 minutes or so.

I do resist the "he's just gay" argument a bit, because I think that this actually would undercut some clear messages about the way that men find it natural to claim ownership over women and also seek to deny them power. Eliza repeatedly says that she wants to have a job and earn a living. Higgins repeatedly positions her as a potential bride.

I also think that there's some not-so-subtle gaslighting happening when she finally stands up to him and his response is to basically go "Yay! You passed the test! Telling me you want to leave me has actually made me want you! You did it!".

To say that he is gay would be to imply that his lack of caring about her feelings and his indifference to her is a result of a lack of sexual attraction. But I see those things as being symptomatic of the very objectifying way that he regards her. I definitely think that there's a lot of subtext (and, um, TEXT) that implies Higgins is gay---the relationship with his mother and absent father, his total disinterest in ANY women in the film in an overtly romantic light, his song about wishing he could marry a dude (sorry, a woman who is just like a dude).

I think that it makes the most sense to me, overall, if he's gay but also kind of a misogynist. (And the roots of his character, remember, was a man who thought women were so "dirty" that he secluded himself in his home and then built himself a sex statue). I mean, he claims to treat everyone the same, but I can't remember him saying anything insulting to the face of any male character, while he gleefully calls Eliza a hussy, baggage, a squashed cabbage leaf, a pain, etc. There is definitely a sub-set of gay male culture that is pretty hateful toward women, so he can be both, I suppose.

But I agree, there’s many other things wrong with Harrison’s character than any closeted resentment of women/poor people. He seems to have a distinct issue with treating other humans as human. Then again, I usually just chalk that up to wealth and privilege.
But Pickering and Freddy are both wealthy and privileged, and neither of them show Eliza the contempt we see from Pickering. It's partly why his (false) claims of equal treatment fall flat: Pickering is nice to everyone.

Again, I think that this really all stems from having things laid out in the play that get upended when you tack on the happy/ambiguous ending but don't change the groundwork that came before it. It creates rifts in the character arcs of both Eliza and Higgins.

Well, it's really death of the second author here. The problem is that the film (both films, actually) stay faithful to Shaw's play literally up until the last 10 minutes or so.

I do resist the "he's just gay" argument a bit, because I think that this actually would undercut some clear messages about the way that men find it natural to claim ownership over women and also seek to deny them power. Eliza repeatedly says that she wants to have a job and earn a living. Higgins repeatedly positions her as a potential bride.

I also think that there's some not-so-subtle gaslighting happening when she finally stands up to him and his response is to basically go "Yay! You passed the test! Telling me you want to leave me has actually made me want you! You did it!".

To say that he is gay would be to imply that his lack of caring about her feelings and his indifference to her is a result of a lack of sexual attraction. But I see those things as being symptomatic of the very objectifying way that he regards her. I definitely think that there's a lot of subtext (and, um, TEXT) that implies Higgins is gay---the relationship with his mother and absent father, his total disinterest in ANY women in the film in an overtly romantic light, his song about wishing he could marry a dude (sorry, a woman who is just like a dude).

I think that it makes the most sense to me, overall, if he's gay but also kind of a misogynist. (And the roots of his character, remember, was a man who thought women were so "dirty" that he secluded himself in his home and then built himself a sex statue). I mean, he claims to treat everyone the same, but I can't remember him saying anything insulting to the face of any male character, while he gleefully calls Eliza a hussy, baggage, a squashed cabbage leaf, a pain, etc. There is definitely a sub-set of gay male culture that is pretty hateful toward women, so he can be both, I suppose.

But Pickering and Freddy are both wealthy and privileged, and neither of them show Eliza the contempt we see from Pickering. It's partly why his (false) claims of equal treatment fall flat: Pickering is nice to everyone.

Again, I think that this really all stems from having things laid out in the play that get upended when you tack on the happy/ambiguous ending but don't change the groundwork that came before it. It creates rifts in the character arcs of both Eliza and Higgins.
I’m definitely in the camp that he’s a gay, misogynist, classist. While I don’t inherently think that riches and privilege inherently make someone like Higgins, I do think they’re major contributing factors.

I think with this in mind, her impact on him is in lessening his classism and misogyny, which is a believable foundation for a friendship. A healthy friendship? Nah. But one that strikes me as plausible and earned within the context of the narrative.

I’m definitely in the camp that he’s a gay, misogynist, classist. While I don’t inherently think that riches and privilege inherently make someone like Higgins, I do think they’re major contributing factors.
Definitely.

I think with this in mind, her impact on him is in lessening his classism and misogyny, which is a believable foundation for a friendship. A healthy friendship? Nah. But one that strikes me as plausible and earned within the context of the narrative.
But are those things lessened? At all?

It annoys me at the end when he says that Eliza has changed him. Like, how? I really do not see it.

And the whole thing is challenging because everything he says to her is out of desperation, anger, and frustration that she left him. When he claims to admire her, he's admiring her fortitude, but she had that BEFORE she met him. And yet he says "Ah yes, I like you this way!". Again, he's taking credit for her positive qualities, including those he had nothing to do with!

He can't regard her as her own person. He can only see her through the lens of what he wants (familiarity, comfort, routine). In the play he ends their conversation by telling her to go run some errands, a clear sign that he still regards her as "his" despite her telling him explicitly otherwise. His remark about "now where are my slippers?" then laying back in his chair is a nod to this.

I got stuck on this, it's pretty good - King Arthur, the 2004 version. If you're Arthur-curious like me, this is the theory that Arthur (Artorius) was a Sarmatian mercenary, 4th century, in Britain, as the Romans were in decline, leading resistance to the Saxons on behalf of the Romans. We have Guinivere and Merlin as natives aligned with the Romans and Lancelot as a Sarmatian ally, not quite as savage as the Picts or the Saxons, more inclined to fight in the wilderness than what remains of the Romans, who don't like the climate in wet, chilly Britain.

It has a decent level of LOTR inspired drama, excellent visuals considering its limited budget and suitably tragic music, well suited to the lost-cause aspect of most versions of the King Arthur story. I was curious, now I'm stuck on it, even though it does not seem to lead to a good ending. Dark Age stories seldom do. We all know that the Saxons win in the end and Arthur ends up in legend, but it's victory for a while. The movie is much better than the trailer.

Antlers (2021)

After all the fuss around this one, the film was a disappointment. It's like Cooper doesn't know the horror genre at all, and the result is a generic "modern horror cliches 101" (from the camerawork to complete predictability to replacing characterization with trauma). It's so bland that I can't even hate it.

Hello Everyone,

I just watched the New Bond Movie- NO TIME TO DIE... I was amazing!Highlyrecommend watching it!

What do you think about it?

Hello Everyone,

I just watched the New Bond Movie- NO TIME TO DIE... I was amazing!Highlyrecommend watching it!

What do you think about it?
I think it was the worst Bond movie.

1st Re-watch...don't get it twisted, I only watched this because there was nothing else on TV at the time that I wanted to watch. It was just bad as it was the first time. Someone decide it was a good idea to take a musical that was set in the Depression and set it in 2014. It doesn't work and neither does the mangling Martin Charnin and Charles Strouse's score. The only thing that works here is Jamie Foxx's performance as Will Stacks. What a waste of money.

I just got back from seeing the new West Side Story.
My review: West Side Story (2021) is a triumph, a remake that is even better than the original (which was itself pretty darn great). Masterfully directed by the great Steven Spielberg, this is an entertaining and well crafted musical. The song and dance numbers are fantastic and I loved the costumes and sets. The ensemble is mostly terrific. Rachel Zegler gives the best performance and really shines. Mike Faist is another standout who brings a lot of dynamic energy to Riff. Rita Moreno is wonderful and makes the most of her limited screentime. Ariana DeBose has some really strong and effective moments late in the film that sell me on her performance. The weakest link for me is Ansel Elgort, who I feel was miscast. He has a pretty singing voice but his acting is just alright and he isn't always convincing in the role. Even with his mediocre performance, West Side Story is still one of the best films of the year. My rating is a

Point Break, 1991

Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) is a young FBI agent whose partner (Gary Busy) enlists him to help catch a gang of bank robbers. The robbers are a crew of local surfers, led by the charismatic Bohdi (Patrick Swayze). Johnny ingratiates himself with another surfer, Tyler (Lori Petty) as an in. But his relationships with both Bodhi and Tyler quickly complicate the mission.

This film is an action classic and I totally get it. Not really something I loved, but at the same time full of some iconic moments and images.

In terms of strengths, the action scenes were really good. Whether it was the bank robberies, the surfing, or skydiving, the action is dynamic and easy to follow. And like most great action films, these scenes manage to layer the action with character development.

Reeves and Swayze are appealing leads, though I really struggled with Bodhi, and his "gotta crack a few eggs" philosophy towards his choices and the very real harm they did other people. The real surprise for me was Lori Petty, who I love, and did not realize was going to be in this. As the woman caught between Bodhi and Johnny, she really holds her own and I appreciated that the character was written with some depth.

The film also nails the final act, and manages to have a conclusion that has weight and just the right degree of closure.

On the down side, I did find some of the dialogue---especially the police banter--verged a bit too much on the silly side of things. And Bodhi as a character never really clicked with me, making it a bit hard to gel with Johnny's affection for him. Enjoyable and I get why it's got its reputation.

Point Break, 1991

Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) is a young FBI agent whose partner (Gary Busy) enlists him to help catch a gang of bank robbers. The robbers are a crew of local surfers, led by the charismatic Bohdi (Patrick Swayze). Johnny ingratiates himself with another surfer, Tyler (Lori Petty) as an in. But his relationships with both Bodhi and Tyler quickly complicate the mission.

This film is an action classic and I totally get it. Not really something I loved, but at the same time full of some iconic moments and images.

In terms of strengths, the action scenes were really good. Whether it was the bank robberies, the surfing, or skydiving, the action is dynamic and easy to follow. And like most great action films, these scenes manage to layer the action with character development.

Reeves and Swayze are appealing leads, though I really struggled with Bodhi, and his "gotta crack a few eggs" philosophy towards his choices and the very real harm they did other people. The real surprise for me was Lori Petty, who I love, and did not realize was going to be in this. As the woman caught between Bodhi and Johnny, she really holds her own and I appreciated that the character was written with some depth.

The film also nails the final act, and manages to have a conclusion that has weight and just the right degree of closure.

On the down side, I did find some of the dialogue---especially the police banter--verged a bit too much on the silly side of things. And Bodhi as a character never really clicked with me, making it a bit hard to gel with Johnny's affection for him. Enjoyable and I get why it's got its reputation.

Amazing bit in Point Break where they jump over fences. Patrick Swayze has just robbed this bank, and Keanu Reeves is chasin' him through peoples' gardens, and then he goes to shoot Swayze but he can't because he loves him so much and he's firin' his gun up in the air and he's like 'ahhh!' Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone 'ahhh'?

Amazing bit in Point Break where they jump over fences. Patrick Swayze has just robbed this bank, and Keanu Reeves is chasin' him through peoples' gardens, and then he goes to shoot Swayze but he can't because he loves him so much and he's firin' his gun up in the air and he's like 'ahhh!' Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone 'ahhh'?