Pedro Almodovar

Tools    

anyone familiar with his work? i've seen about 6 or 7 of his movies and i adore him....my favourite would be his latest films : all about my mother, talk to her and bad education ( all about my mother and talk to her being amongst my favourite movies of all time )...kika is also of of his better works...a comedy filled with eccentric and colorfull characters that are his trademark....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm a fan, based on the two I've seen: Bad Education and Talk to Her.
I think his cinematography is gorgeous.
The writing and direction are very intelligent.
Not to be a prude, but I wish he was a little less sexually graphic - I feel a little limited in who I can recommend him to,
WARNING: "both" spoilers below
given the butt sex and walk-in vagina and all

I see he has a new one in pre-production - will be looking for it next year.

hmmm...i guess he is a bit explicit...but i see it as a good thing...why should we be affraid of our sexuality...if anything he's done wonders as far as opening up the rigid, catholic society spain was untill he came along...

Originally Posted by adidasss
hmmm...i guess he is a bit explicit...but i see it as a good thing...why should we be affraid of our sexuality...if anything he's done wonders as far as opening up the rigid, catholic society spain was untill he came along...
After an unfortunate evening spent watching Nurse Betty with my dad in the room (who kindly pretended he didn't get any of the dildo jokes) I got a little cautious of sexually explicit stuff. Bad Education has a great murder mystery plot, for instance, but not everybody is up for watching explicit gay sex, so I recommend it with a warning. I can't exactly tell my mom to check it out, unless I'm trying to give her another heart attack.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Not to be a prude, but I wish he was a little less sexually graphic - I feel a little limited in who I can recommend him to,
you're absolutley right...i can't exactly recommend him to my family....
hahha.....bad education especialy...my family are very homophobic...
i see your point...still....movie buffs should still check him out ...i'm sure they'll apreciate his genius....

no but i got really excited when you mention he was making another film...i barely recovered from talk to her when bad education came out...he's very productive...i like that....can't wait for the new one to come out...( did you notice the opening scene in bad education?....i have a feeling it was sort of autobiographical...)

I have only seen one of his movies, Bad Education must look a few others, by the way I was impressed

no but i got really excited when you mention he was making another film...i barely recovered from talk to her when bad education came out...he's very productive...i like that....can't wait for the new one to come out...( did you notice the opening scene in bad education?....i have a feeling it was sort of autobiographical...)
In the drag show?
I wouldn't be surprised.

no no...when the director was trying to find ideas for his next film....( maybe it wasn't the opening scene but it was at the begining...)
ah! I only saw it once, so I am a little unclear on the order too. Yeah, no doubt most people who make films have had a phase like that. I used to write scripts with some friends and that scene reminded me of old times.

I was a little disappointed with Bad Education. It's kind of Almodóvar revisiting Law of Desire but mixing 81/2 and Vertigo with it, and while it mostly works it is just a tad too self-conscious for me and doesn't have anywhere near the emotional impact of his previous two (despite a magnificent performance by Gael García Bernal), which for my money are the best movies of his entire career. He's definitely one of the best and most interesting filmmakers working today.

I'd rate Almodóvar's stuff....

Talk to Her, A
All About My Mother, A-
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, A-
Live Flesh, B+
The Flower of My Secret, B+
Bad Education, B
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, B
High Heels, B
Law of Desire, B-
Kika, C
Matador, C

Other than Kika and Matador, I recommend all of them. You may connect more with different ones than I did, but they're all good movies, and I love Pedro's voice, heart, characters and style.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i thought kika was very funny ( maybe you have to know a bit of spanish to apreciate the humor ) and deserves a B+, while live flesh was in my opinion a bit dry, the story is interesting enough but i guess i'm just used to eccentric characters which seem to be lacking in that film....i do agree talk to her and all about my mother are his best films ( bad education falls a bit short, but that's what i thought after seeing talk to her, but then i saw it again a month ago and was simply blown away....)
i love the way he incorporates other arts in his movies ( showing he's a big fan of arts in any form ), like the dance scenes in flower of my secret and talk to her, as well as his hommage to theatre in all about my mother.....an amaizing artist...i wish i could pick his brain, but i feel unworthy of talking to such great artists.....

I'm in the same boat as Nebs, only seen Bad Education and few snippets of Live Flesh, Talk to Her and All About My Mother. I have to agree with Holden in regards to Bad Education, it was a bit similar too Vertigo and the movie within a movie premise is becoming a bit over used. I liked it enough to want to pursue his other work, though i hope there's less ass sex in them. If that was with anyone but Bernal, who is always excellent, i would have thrown it out the window.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I'm in the same boat as Nebs, only seen Bad Education and few snippets of Live Flesh, Talk to Her and All About My Mother. I have to agree with Holden in regards to Bad Education, it was a bit similar too Vertigo and the movie within a movie premise is becoming a bit over used. I liked it enough to want to pursue his other work, though i hope there's less ass sex in them. If that was with anyone but Bernal, who is always excellent, i would have thrown it out the window.
yes there is less ass sex in the others, but most of them have at least one spicey sex scene...i think all about my mother and talk to her don't have any...but i'm not sure....

I have seen:

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! <-- so much fun!
All About My Mother <-- wonderful movie, great direction, great cast, great story
Talk To Her <-- overrated but still very good
Bad Education <-- uhm.. disappointed me
Flower Of My Secret <-- good less known movie, i reccomend it

In september new digipacks are going to be released where i live (italy), i'm going to buy them all:
law of desire, pepi luci bom and women on the verge of a nervous breakdown

yes, i love his movies.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Oh, i love sex scenes, just minus cock and man ass

Nudge nudge, wink wink!!!
I would say I'm behind you 100%, but you might take that the wrong way!!! Take it the wrong way, tee-hee, oh I gotta stop now.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?