Schitt's Creek

Tools    

After watching the show sweep the comedy categories at the virtual Emmys, my curiosity was naturally aroused regarding this show, which premiered in syndication where I live last night. I watched the first two episodes of this offbeat sitcom about a wealthy family who have lost everything and must now start over in the one-horse town of the title. It reminded me a bit of Arrested Development, which I happen to be binging right now, but the writing is a little more sophisticated here, maybe a little more sophisticated than it needs to be. The show coasts a long way on the talent of its stars, Eugene Levy (who co-created and co-writes the show with his son Dan) and the brilliant Catherine O'Hara. Also enjoyed Dan Levy as their son David and Chris Elliott as the smarmy mayor. Not sure what it is, maybe it's because I'm in the middle of Arrested Development now, but something just isn't working here for me. The acting is brilliant, but I just didn't find the show terribly funny. Of course, all new shows need time to find their footing and I always give any new show at least a three episode tryout before giving up. Considering all the talent in front of and behind the camera here and the fact that the Television Academy is impressed, I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes.

Pretty much agree with you, Gideon. This is pretty much how I've felt also. Arrested Development is one of my all time favourite sitcoms and a show that i've sat through on numerous occasions. Tried to get into SC about 2 years ago and struggled to connect with it in any of the same ways as AD. After the recent awards scoop decided to give SC another go, am now on season 3, but really, while there are times when can appreciate the writing and the cast, it just doesn't seem to resonate with me in any of the ways that AD did.

Will continue to push on with it though, because the awards were for the most recent seasons, so am holding out hope that it does come together, but as of right now, halfway through S3, am still not feeling it in the same way.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've seen all the episodes and grew to love it more with each episode. Push through. It builds on its own crazy characters. The only thing I had problems with were trying to get used to Eugene Levy as a straight man to almost everyone else.

But I love Levy and O'Hara from their SCTV days, so I might be biased in their favor.

Watched eps 3 and 4 last night...the bit about the "welcome to" sign was hilarious and O'Hara playing drama coach to those school kids was golden, but other than that....

Never made it through the pilot.

I've continued to watch this on syndication, but if the truth be told, this show is really starting to lose me...if it weren't for Catherine O'Hara, I probably would have stopped watching already, she's the only thing on this show that is consistently funny.

As over-the-top as the premise and title are "Schitt's Creek" succeeds because the characters, as outrageous and cartoonish as they may be on the surface, are incredibly endearing and their triumphs become relatable and emotional, especially for David, Stevie, and Alexis. While each episode usually has some laugh-out-loud moments, as it went on - especially the last few seasons - it was the believable arcs of these unbelievable people that was incredibly rewarding.

I didn't have to wait for Netflix or for it to set Emmy records to finish the series, I watched it on cable.

But, to each their own. Your mileage may vary.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So I work for the company that supplies the cameras and lights for this show.

The first season is the weakest. Towards the end, it picks up and the seasons to follow are indeed funny. We watched it as it aired. Glad we did.

The Adventure Starts Here!
As over-the-top as the premise and title are "Schitt's Creek" succeeds because the characters, as outrageous and cartoonish as they may be on the surface, are incredibly endearing and their triumphs become relatable and emotional, especially for David, Stevie, and Alexis. While each episode usually has some laugh-out-loud moments, as it went on - especially the last few seasons - it was the believable arcs of these unbelievable people that was incredibly rewarding.

I didn't have to wait for Netflix or for it to set Emmy records to finish the series, I watched it on cable.

But, to each their own. Your mileage may vary.
Well said. This series became incredibly endearing, lettings its character move beyond the cartoony beginnings and yet somehow keeping the outrageous extremes in their behavior intact.

I found Alexis particularly endearing as the seasons went on, despite thinking her the worst of the family in the beginning.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Being an SCTV fan myself, I enjoy the show, it's a good laugh and think it deserved the awards it got