Why do some of you just quit watching a Movie?

Tools    

Don't think CDB is wrong here he just seems like a young person that has just got into films and thinks he is a TRUE CINEMA FAN or whatever, i apologize if you aren't 14 mate but that's how all of your posts read and maybe you shouldn't post like a teenager if you aren't one, jesus.

I agree with a post i saw from Iro, it makes zero sense for you to watch a film you aren't enjoying; please don't, that's cool but don't attempt to pretend you have an informed opinion on said film if you didn't actually watch it.

That's all!

I guess you could ask the same question in reverse :

Why do some of you continue watching a movie you strongly dislike?

I do it sometime in hope it will get better.

Welcome to the human race...
Like I said before, if you're interested in film as an art form then it can be a learning experience.

I do it all the time.

Just because something is 'art' doesn't mean it's unassailable or automatically worthy of a couple hours' time. Also, some of these 'art' pieces are straight up money grabs. In that case, they got what they wanted from me, caveat emptor.

This may make me 'immature' by your standard but I think looking for Michelangelo in every piece of celluloid one encounters is equally so, not to mention a bit naive.

From my point of view, I work no less than 12 hours per day, sometimes 6 days per week and support a family and household. I'm not obligated to subject myself to someone's bad art (if I deem it to be so).

Art is an exchange between the artist and the viewer and it's an equal playing field. If they come together it's a gift to both, if not it's normal. The creator doesn't have an elevated position in the exchange.

Even if being art meant something was unassailable, it wouldn't change the fact that time is finite, and that to watch one thing is to not watch another, so even using the integrity of every movie as your North Star, it still wouldn't necessarily lead you to the conclusion that you should finish every film.

Personally, I rarely fail to finish movies I start, but there are certainly times I wish I had.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I might have missed something and will go back... sometimes even multiple times. Case in point, last night I watched The Innkeepers in its entirety on my third attempt. I decided to tough it out as I like some of Ti West's other work. It ended up getting better but it's not a favorite by any stretch.

I do it all the time.

Just because something is 'art' doesn't mean it's unassailable or automatically worthy of a couple hours' time. Also, some of these 'art' pieces are straight up money grabs. In that case, they got what they wanted from me, caveat emptor.

This may make me 'immature' by your standard but I think looking for Michelangelo in every piece of celluloid one encounters is equally so, not to mention a bit naive.

From my point of view, I work no less than 12 hours per day, sometimes 6 days per week and support a family and household. I'm not obligated to subject myself to someone's bad art (if I deem it to be so).

Art is an exchange between the artist and the viewer and it's an equal playing field. If they come together it's a gift to both, if not it's normal. The creator doesn't have an elevated position in the exchange.
I like this post, and I agree too

I am more important to myself, than any movie ever will be. I owe nothing to a director and so I'm under no obligation to finish watching something I don't want. That's part of growing up, one realizes that they always don't have to 'clean their plate' just because someone once said they had to.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That's part of growing up, one realizes that they always don't have to 'clean their plate' just because someone once said they had to[/b].

Needs to be in bold
My mum: there are starving children in Africa
Me: OK so send my brussell sprouts to them.

She thought I was being precocious. I was only 3 and had no idea where Africa was. Might have been the house next door for all I knew.

Then years later I was still torturing myself with books I didnt like. A librarian said - If you dont like a book, put it down and pick up another. No time to be sentimental about something you're not enjoying. Would the OP stay in a relationship that had gone off just because? What a dreadful thought thinking back.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
If I put in a movie, I go into it making sure I can finish it, with no pauses if possible, and even then it's just a quick 30 seconds... In the past, I would finish a movie regardless, but I know I can only watch a certain amount of movies because of time and other circumstances, so I look through many before choosing...

If the first half hour of a movie is total garbage, I can't imagine it suddenly turning a new leaf and becoming great.. Sometimes I re-watch because I remember the circumstances (not enough sleep, life distractions, tape quality, etc).

That's what I'm saying. I'm actually serious about this. Maybe bad movies could be used as a sleeping therapy.
Yeah, but just because a movie bores me doesn't mean somebody else won't be riveted to it and think it's the greatest movie ever made...it's a very subjective thing and I was hoping that the OP would realize that...everyone has different tastes and to say someone is wrong for turning off a movie that is not holding their attention is just as wrong.

I usually give a movie a least 30 minutes, and if I'm feeling generous, I'll give it one hour. If that still doesn't do it OUT it goes. My time is to valuable to be wasted on a dud.

Yeah, but just because a movie bores me doesn't mean somebody else won't be riveted to it and think it's the greatest movie ever made...it's a very subjective thing and I was hoping that the OP would realize that...everyone has different tastes and to say someone is wrong for turning off a movie that is not holding their attention is just as wrong.
I agree. Also, it occured to me that actually good movies could be used. Like you say, it deppends on what you consider good/bad. But it's definatelly those calm ones, like 2001, you know boring or whatever. They should be used, whether you consider them good or bad (in my case good).

I think that at least one of you, if not more work for the movie industry.

I think that you are in part trying to teach people how to watch lesser quality movies because you work in the industry.

I think that that this thread is movie politics, because most movies of the 2000-2017 era aren't as engaging and are of lesser quality.

I think movie makers lost a step in how well they make movies

I think that someone in this thread is trying to teach us how to watch lesser quality movies motivated by money. ""please watch our terrible movies, because we need more money, and we don't make em as good as we once did""

That's what I am reading here in between the lines, in a nutshell, the gist of it, basically....

I watched crouching tiger hidden dragon for about 10 minutes in a theatre where I lived in cvillle virginia. I got up to use the bathroom, and left. The reason why is because I found it too culture shocking in style, and I had to pee, so afterwards my bathroom trip I just left the theatre. To me It wasn't worth the walk back down the isle.

I will try to enjoy your lesser movies sir! paid for by fandango theatres, or whatever is going on in this thread....heh heh

7 Pages.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I think that someone in this thread is trying to teach us how to watch lesser quality movies motivated by money. ""please watch our terrible movies, because we need more money, and we don't make em as good as we once did""
That actually does not compute. If I spend 25 bucks to walk into a cinema and then decide after 30 minutes I'm bored to tears and would rather go to the pub/a restaurant/home, well they already have my money. It's not like they're missing out on $$$.