Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
OK.
Now, everyone go back and edit their posts to list whether they watched their overrated choice on release, or years later on streaming media!

Seriously though, I am genuinely curious how much of a factor context is here. Take for instance The Matrix. I am only using this as an example, but I will happily admit that at the time I found it groundbreaking. While there were a few dark gems of science fiction such as Dark City or 12 Monkeys floating around, my memory of science fiction at that time was polluted with by-the-numbers films like Independence Day, Event Horizon (shivers), and Men in Black. I say by-the-numbers in regards to casting, simplicity of plot, or pushed blockbuster intended hype. In that context, The Matrix was quite unique (IMO). Granted The Matrix had hype, but I believe that was more to do with how the trailers only teased at what the hell was going on in that movie, which typically are notorious for just being a mini outline of the movie, exposing all of the possible plot points. I remember a comment that it may have been the first time WB allowed their logo to be distorted for the first time during the intro title sequences (I may very well be wrong on that, but that memory is popping up for some reason!).

I think if I had waited until now to see that movie---out of its context of where sci-fi was at its time of release---, then I probably would laugh in watching a movie (with now mediocre effects) taking itself way too seriously.

As far as to the OP's topic:
Little Miss Sunshine pissed me off.
ID4 (if that wasn't already obvious!)
Titanic.
Shutter Island.
Interstellar
(cries).
The Martian.
Probably Avatar. Though gorgeous, it was so simple and should have been a lot more given the scale of production.
and Wing Commander. Ha! Just kidding. That movie had no hype. It just sucked. Bad.
hm... why am I listing mostly only sci-fi!?

Oh. I loved Kane, btw.
Agree. Loved the Matrix at the time of release but watching it recently, it is clear that both I and it are older than we were then and neither is fairing as well as we would like. I still rate it really highly though. Mainly because of the my reaction to it at release. Same with Jaws - Still a quality film but the effects are comedic, but I was convinced it was a real shark until I was 25

Citizen Kane. Haven't seen it, but I can't imagine a world where anything lives up to that level of hype.
You are correct in that it is overrated. It isn't the most overrated, however.

But you judging a film you haven't seen is kinda strange.

IMO the two most overrated films this year were La La Land and Moonlight. The most underrated was easily Batman v Superman.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it.

Two movies I couldn't finish:
Swiss Army Man (suffered 1 hour before switching it off)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (NOT funny (watched half of it))

Not that it is overrated, but I couldn't finish Hardcore Henry, because I felt nauseated by it (had to hold it in for 1 hour).

I've said it before and I might as well repeat it again: Deadpool & The Wailing were two perplexingly well received flicks of 2016.

The Big Lebowski.

I finally saw it just recently and was super pumped due to the huge cult following around it but it disappointed me. There are plenty of Comedies that are much funnier.

I didn't find much of it laugh out comedy the characters were cool but it just wasn't really that funny. I didn't get it I probably have to watch it again, I really want to like this film and join the cult. John Goodman stole the Movie his scenes were great, He gave an Oscar worthy performance in my opinion. The acting was really good it's just not that funny.

Step Brothers and Team America are the 2 best comedies ever in my opinion.

Shawshank Redemption
I really don't understand how this is considered to be one of the goats. It's an OK movie but it's just doesn't grab my attention much. It didn't grab me by the pussy.

Titanic
This Movie was a boring crock of ****, I couldn't wait until they all drowned. Geez Leo was so punchable back then.

This Movie went on for too damn long. The villain was awesome but the rest I don't really remember.

The Nice Guys
I don't get what so great about this film. It was average I've seen better. This didn't make my Top 10 for 2016.

I liked War Dogs much better than this but I didn't hear many people talk about it. Now that was a really good Movie!

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
This was a ok funny movie but a lot of people seem to REALLY love it for some reason. Dude Where's My Car? and Harold and Kumar are much better stoner flicks.

Kevin Smith
I've herd people putting him in the same category as Quentin Tarentino which is completely bogus.
He writes good funny dialogue but he doesn't make great films.

The Big Lebowski.

I finally saw it just recently and was super pumped due to the huge cult following around it but it disappointed me. There are plenty of Comedies that are much funnier.
The Coen Brothers do make comdies, but none of them are lol-funny, in my opinion. Still, because they are quite subtle and well-written, I do consider them to be great comedies, no matter how many times they make me laugh. Some movies are the opposite. They are not considered to be comedies, but have a few laughs here and there. Like your average Marvel movie for example.

Anyways, I strongly believe TBL deserves a second watch. When I watched it the first time as a teenager, I was fascinated by it, and didn't know whether I should like it or change the channel. It took a second watch for me to take a liking for it.

Shawshank Redemption
I really don't understand how this is considered to be one of the goats. It's an OK movie but it's just doesn't grab my attention much. It didn't grab me by the pussy.
Maybe the hype for that movie will slowly die now that the IMDB boards are no more. Still, that movies plays with your emotions like a fiddle, which is the reason for said hype. It's a tear-jerker and simply an emotional rollercoaster.

The Nice Guys
I don't get what so great about this film. It was average I've seen better. This didn't make my Top 10 for 2016.
I hated that flick.

The Big Lebowski is hilarious. So is Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading as well as many of their non-comedy films. I LOL lots during all of them. The Big Lebowski took a rewatch for me to love it though and i've liked it more everytime, that seems to be quite a common thing.

Goodfellas
Another film that is extremely over hyped that I don't get what's so great about it. I didn't really like the way the film was shot with the protagonist talking over the whole movie , It didn't make the character any more interesting. It was still just an average just the average movie protagonist. Decent gangster movie flick but no where near as good as Scarface.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Goodfellas
Another film that is extremely over hyped that I don't get what's so great about it. I didn't really like the way the film was shot with the protagonist talking over the whole movie , It didn't make the character any more interesting. It was still just an average just the average movie protagonist. Decent gangster movie flick but no where near as good as Scarface.
Scarface is overrated af. Goodfellas is an interesting character study. Scarface is an overlong exploitation flick.

"The Master" dir Paul Thomas Anderson.

I get that it is a movie supposed to challenge the viewer. However, it still sucks.

Yes, the performances are good (when they are playing human beings). Great even. But..that does not make a great film. "There Will Be Blood" took me viewing 2-3 times before I could appreciate it, but The Master? No way, jose. Sucked the big one. Bad.

PTA is so far away from Sydney/Hard Eight/Boogie Nights/Magnolia now..I'm not sure that's a good thing at all. It's like he's playing a joke on people and they're eating it up. I'm sorry. I take issue with his later films. Inherent Vice?!.. ..you say?! Please, don't go there with me. It will be a bloodbath!

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Shawshank Redemption
THIS.

It's overrated AF.

Titanic

I didn't like how the movie was more of a romance film with the ship used as more of a prop.

The Godfather

I fell asleep five times while watching that film. I went back several times and watched it again just so I could see whether or not I missed some kind of great, transcendent moment that made the movie as amazing as the hype suggested it was, and I never found it. I don't like this film at all.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Asimov

MC for the Great Underground Circus
The Godfather

I fell asleep five times while watching that film. I went back several times and watched it again just so I could see whether or not I missed some kind of great, transcendent moment that made the movie as amazing as the hype suggested it was, and I never found it. I don't like this film at all.
+1 [though the scene with the bride humping (?) was .... nice]

The Force Awakens everyone thought it was good just because it had Star Wars in the name, smart on Disney's part though.

Oh, that one, definitely.

The Force Awakens everyone thought it was good just because it had Star Wars in the name, smart on Disney's part though.
Is it, though? I'm not sure that movie is that highly praised.