Dopesick

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
New series on Hulu about the opioid crisis and the culpability of the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma.

Starring Michael Keaton.

Based off the book by Beth Macy

Anyone else watched this yet? Some of y'all know I am pretty enthusiastic about my region, and it has been really difficult to watch this series because there isn't a single family in this area that hasn't been touched, or knows of a family that's been touched, by the opioid crisis. Yours truly included.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I have heard a lot about this, and I expect it to be great if I get around to it.

Got it in my Hulu watchlist for the next time I join Hulu again.

Got the first episode down, and it seems to be off a beat in some way...I'm hooked to watch the whole series though.

[quote=John McClane;2247351]New series on Hulu about the opioid crisis and the culpability of the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma. [quote]

Resubscribed to Hulu this week (and their current website is for the birds. Took at least one hour to resubscribe. )

I have this show in my watchlist there.

I'm about halfway through still enjoying it, but the dramatic subplots are getting to be a bit much

I'm through 6 episodes. There are good bits like Keaton and there are bad bits like the whole medical rep subplot with Will Poulter - some of that is over the top. Some of the writing is awful too (the rehab clinic scenes are quite terrible). But it's quite interesting to learn about the story.

Just finished it, and its....OK. The ending felt rushed which was disappointing given how this all came down in real life. The subplots just took up so much screentime that you almost forgot what the purpose of the show was.

I'm about halfway through still enjoying it, but the dramatic subplots are getting to be a bit much
This was a problem through the 5 episodes I’ve seen so far. What was the purpose of the prostrate cancer subplot? The lesbian couple subplot? Rosario Dawson & her boyfriend/husband? Etc., etc.

I'm through 6 episodes. There are good bits like Keaton and there are bad bits like the whole medical rep subplot with Will Poulter - some of that is over the top. Some of the writing is awful too (the rehab clinic scenes are quite terrible). But it's quite interesting to learn about the story.
Loved Will Poulter in the show. Had no idea he’s British. We definitely needed his subplot to show how gullible some of the reps were. If, indeed, they actually were.

Just finished it, and its....OK. The ending felt rushed which was disappointing given how this all came down in real life. The subplots just took up so much screentime that you almost forgot what the purpose of the show was.
Exactly. So many characters too. But, I will finish.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Someone needs to sack the Sacklers.... Let them rot in prison. I wonder if the show talks about the worst things about them, which might be boring, but who knows.

I won't watch the show, but I guess I support it.

The book it’s based on is primarily about the effects of the Sacklers and OxyContin on small town America, and by proxy America as a whole. That’s why there are so many subplots. It wasn’t too long ago that OxyContin was plastered all over the place in advertising to elevate pain, but now everyone recognizes its name as being synonymous with pain. I thought the show did a good job of exploring those stories and the pervasiveness of big money inside an unchecked system.

Healthcare in this country is broken and has been for a very long time. The Sacklers were an inevitability given the brokenness of things

Kaitlyn Dever stole the screen. This is easily her best work.

The book it’s based on is primarily about the effects of the Sacklers and OxyContin on small town America, and by proxy America as a whole. That’s why there are so many subplots. It wasn’t too long ago that OxyContin was plastered all over the place in advertising to elevate pain, but now everyone recognizes its name as being synonymous with pain. I thought the show did a good job of exploring those stories and the pervasiveness of big money inside an unchecked system.

Healthcare in this country is broken and has been for a very long time. The Sacklers were an inevitability given the brokenness of things

Kaitlyn Dever stole the screen. This is easily her best work.
Dever was amazing. No argument there. Always liked her.

So what was the point of the prostrate cancer subplot? I defy you to tell me its significance.

So what was the point of the prostrate cancer subplot? I defy you to tell me its significance.
That the Sacklers built an empire that preyed on people even when in their weakest state, and that they coopted the entire medical system to work to their favor: nursing staff, doctors, and even the pain chart worked to push Oxy. And that, knowing what he knew, bearing the pain was preferred to the risks of getting hooked. Furthermore, the scene gets painted as something ordinary Joes didn’t stand a chance fighting against. He was lucky to know what he knew, but millions more weren’t just unlucky; they were preyed upon.

Finished the series. Enjoyed it very much. @John McClane, loved the shots of Virginia. Beautiful.

Altogether, well worth viewing.

Finished the series. Enjoyed it very much. @John McClane, loved the shots of Virginia. Beautiful.
Yeah, we got some picturesque vistas. I wish more movies/TV shows would film in this area. Clifton Forge is a must visit if you ever pass through the state.

Yeah, we got some picturesque vistas. I wish more movies/TV shows would film in this area. Clifton Forge is a must visit if you ever pass through the state.
I always thought I’d never been to VA, but, then, I realized I had visited Arlington Cemetery. (God knows how I got there.) So, I have been to your lovely state.