Favorite movie panned by critics ....

Tools    

You're a Genius all the time

The Brothers Grimm (2005)

A lot of people seem to think this was a major misstep for Gilliam. But, in my eyes at least, the man can do no wrong. Gilliam on his worst day is still better than almost any other director on their best. He's got such an innate, acute visual sense. The Brothers Grimm, while lacking the depth of many of his other films, certainly has that vintage Gilliam feel to it. It reminds me very much of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film which was basically Hollywood's watered-down answer to Gilliam, anyway. Tons of fun to be had with this flick.

There's definitely plenty of wasted potential and unmined material here, though. And some of the CGI is downright horrible and completely takes you out of the moment. But all in all, The Brothers Grimm is entertaing enough to be considered a worthy addition to the resume of a living legend.

Mars Attacks! (1996)

Mars Attacks! gets a pretty bad rap, but I sure enjoy the heck out of it. I totally understand the "disjointed", "poorly edited" and "mess of movie" critiques, but I think those just add to the sheer glory of this film. It's so self-aware and fun and hilarious. The cast is great all around; particularly Pierce Brosnan, Annette Bening and, of course, Nicholson. Just really fun stuff.

Saw III - they said it was boring when it isn't... I think its the second best in the series.

Stuck in the middle with you.
Ya' know Scarface was loathed nationwide upon release so I guess that's my pick.

What movie is one of your favorites, but was panned by the critics? Please don't say gigli!
With Citizen Kane, it wasn't so much that it was panned as it was ignored. Hearst (on whom the film is supposedly based) ordered his newspaper chain not to write a single word about it when it was released. No ads, nothing. Largely because of that, the movie didn't get the kind of box-office that the studio was expecting from new wonder-kid Orson Welles, and he never again had the budget or the freedom he'd enjoyed in making that movie. It wasn't until the movie's rerelease in the 1950s that it started to become a favorite classic and is now considered by many (me included) as the best movie ever made.

I would have to go with Gladiator...

I saw it in the theaters opening night dispite the 1 1/2 stars and the bashing it received for being to long and drawn out...

I loved it and then enjoyed watching the critics go to 2 stars then 3 stars and then 4 stars and then the Academy Award!!! It was a great movie which deserved the academy award but it was even better watching the critics squirm...

"Lords of Dogtown"- great soundtrack, and it took me right back to my youth-- California in the 70's. Health's role as Skip made me an instant fan of his work.

Hype Williams' "Belly" is a phenomenal movie for many reasons; visually superior to most films, the soundtrack is hot AND the message at the end is poignant and under-appreciated.

"The Doors" is another flick I can turn on and enjoy each and every time. Val Kilmer still looks like Morrison in everything he does, IMO.

"Bram Stoker's Dracula" is another movie that has outstanding visuals, and Gary Oldman steals each scene he's in.

http://www.sizzlequiz.com/SelectFreeGame.aspx?c=Movies

Also Silent Hill is another fav from me, which got mixed but when it was panned, it was well panned.