Totally Random Question

Tools    

I don’t drive, but the horizontal road markings here in Brooklyn look very strange to me. Have not seen them in Connecticut. What do they mean? Is that where pedestrians are supposed to cross?

You ready? You look ready.
Yeah, they look to be crosswalk related. So if you get hit by a car make sure you're between the squares. Gotta win that lawsuit provided you don't get dead.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they represent intended crosswalks. I believe they represent where the intersections (crossroads) are. That gives a heads up to the drivers, that people could be crossing there. That's all just a guess though.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they represent intended crosswalks. I believe they represent where the intersections (crossroads) are. That gives a heads up to the drivers, that people could be crossing there. That's all just a guess though.
Have you ever seen road markings like this before?

Crosswalks are the most dangerous things for pedestrians, unless there's a light there.
Even with a light they're dangerous. Couldn't tell you how many times I've nearly been run over by some idiot driver not paying attention. Usually somebody trying to turn right on red. And I don't even live in a big city.

Even with a light they're dangerous. Couldn't tell you how many times I've nearly been run over by some idiot driver not paying attention. Usually somebody trying to turn right on red. And I don't even live in a big city.
Oh yea, but without the light I always see confusion by drivers because 1 car can block the sight of another. With 2 lanes each way it's 10 times worse. Also the pedestrian can get a false sense of security.

Have you ever seen road markings like this before?
Nope. But looking closer at the photo I see a lighted crosswalk sign on the left side...so maybe they are crosswalks.

Either way it's dangerous being a pedestrian in a city...and it's dangerous for drivers. As Cricket said, vehicles can block the view of pedestrians crossing the street.

I'd hate to drive on the street in the photo!. When I was in Boston on vacation I had to drive in the city and that was the most stressful driving experience I ever had.

You ready? You look ready.
And this is why I love living in a podunk city. We have a lot of one way streets in the city but even the two lane roads are super easy to cross. Then I go to some major city and I get pissed because I can't just walk out in the road wherever I feel like it.

And this seems far more likely.

Are they not simply social distancing markers for those driving???

Serious suggestion incoming: speed hump / traffic calming markers?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Serious suggestion incoming: speed hump / traffic calming markers?

like ...group therapy star stickers?

seriously though. do you ever sleep?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
also, deliberately not touching the speed hump bit. i don't want to catch anything.

seriously though. do you ever sleep?
Not in the late afternoon / early evening no lol.

also, deliberately not touching the speed hump bit. i don't want to catch anything.
Nothing to worry about - it's like a slightly more adult variant of speed dating and I'm sure they've all been vetted for transmittable diseases.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don’t drive, but the horizontal road markings here in Brooklyn look very strange to me. Have not seen them in Connecticut. What do they mean? Is that where pedestrians are supposed to cross?

Those lines are definitely crosswalks. That's what they look like in NY.

What do they look like in the rest of the world?

Usually they're just solid lines outlining the pedestrian crosswalks.

I remember in Tokyo years ago, at each crosswalk they'd have a basket stand full of yellow flags on sticks. When you were ready to cross, you'd grab a stick and wave the flag around in the air while you were crossing. Probably saved a lot of lives in that wild 'n crazy city. Don't know if they still have the flags or not. It would never work in the U.S. People would steal the flags...