NFL 2019 Season

Tools    

It finally kicks off Sunday night and the product is as strong as ever.

Can anyone stop the Patriots or is this the year they go 19-0?

What becomes of Antonio Brown?

Can Patrick Mahomes pick up where he left off last year?

Who are your surprise teams?

Be interesting to see if this goes more Randy Moss or more Josh Gordon.

I've got Brown in fantasy and it's been a bit of a roller coaster and I still don't know if I'm happy or not.

I've got Brown in fantasy and it's been a bit of a roller coaster and I still don't know if I'm happy or not.
They have so many weapons at receiver and in the backfield that you wouldn't think 1 guy would have a huge year. Who knows.

Yeah, that's usually the case. Though he's big on the short/crossing routes, unlike most other guys who can serve as deep threats, so I can see a Welkery type year. Who knows. There's not a lot of precedent for this stuff.

Tough break for the Jags with Nick Foles going down for an extended amount of time. You hate to see anybody get hurt. Except Tyreke Hill.

The Ravens that good or are the Fins that bad?

I think the best thing for the Pats about getting AB is keeping him from the Chiefs, Hawks, Boys, Pack, etc. He could have put some teams over the top.

A system of cells interlinked
The Patriots won't go 19-0 but if be damned if their first games aren't the easiest of anybody's.
I am a die-hard Pats fan and even I think their first half schedule looks rigged.

Yeah, SOS had them literally with the easiest of any team, IIRC, statistically speaking. Pretty weird. You'd assume the algorithm for schedule generation would be a little more advanced these days, but .

Tough break for the Jags with Nick Foles going down for an extended amount of time. You hate to see anybody get hurt. Except Tyreke Hill.
Yeah, hard to feel bad for that dude. For real life reasons, not because I drafted Sammy Watkins. That's just the cherry on the sonovabitch sundae.

The Ravens that good or are the Fins that bad?
Yeah, the Week 1 game we have to play every year with like a dozen teams. Seems like the answer is usually both to some degree. It can be particularly silly when one of the awful teams is one everyone expected to be good, like Cleveland. Opinions are probably really diverging with them right now.

I think the best thing for the Pats about getting AB is keeping him from the Chiefs, Hawks, Boys, Pack, etc. He could have put some teams over the top.
Reportedly Colbert had a much higher asking price for contenders as a potential trade partner than he did for the Raiders for exactly this sort of reason. Thanks AB.

Teddy Bridgewater is 5-0 since taking over as the Saints starting QB. I guess that's evidence that Drew Brees isn't as good as he's made out to be?

"5-0" isn't the relevant stat if we're talking about Bridgewater, particularly since two of those wins came with 12 and 13 points, respectively. He may not have messed those games up, but he didn't win those for them, either.

Anyway, looking at his actual stats suggests he has played quite well, but it's only been over a few games, so I'm inclined to think he's playing a little over his head. Note how many close games they've been winning: that's not sustainable. If he reverts to his mean even a bit, those close wins are going to turn into close losses.

But as a general response, sure, Bridgewater's success is a potentially meaningful data point that any reasonable person would have to use to reconsider and reevaluate some of the things they thought about that situation. Even though I expect, with more time, they'll be a lot less to explain. If he does, then I will definitely conclude that the Saints as a whole--at least the Saints of the last couple years--are a bigger part of Brees' longevity than previously believed.

I'm still undecided on Brissett for the Colts for similar reasons. He isn't really winning games for them, but he's holding his own. They could have a legitimate shot at winning that division after all the despair of Andrew Luck retiring and leaving the Colts as +400 or something favorites to win the AFC South going into the year.

"5-0" isn't the relevant stat if we're talking about Bridgewater, particularly since two of those wins came with 12 and 13 points, respectively. He may not have messed those games up, but he didn't win those for them, either.

Anyway, looking at his actual stats suggests he has played quite well, but it's only been over a few games, so I'm inclined to think he's playing a little over his head. Note how many close games they've been winning: that's not sustainable. If he reverts to his mean even a bit, those close wins are going to turn into close losses.

But as a general response, sure, Bridgewater's success is a potentially meaningful data point that any reasonable person would have to use to reconsider and reevaluate some of the things they thought about that situation. Even though I expect, with more time, they'll be a lot less to explain. If he does, then I will definitely conclude that the Saints as a whole--at least the Saints of the last couple years--are a bigger part of Brees' longevity than previously believed.
I was actually completely joking. Everyone knows who Drew Brees is, but a team with good talent and coaching can come together and find other ways to win. It's just that their ceiling and floor are both lower. One of the best NBA bets historically is to bet on a team the first game that they're missing their star player. This type of success can last a little bit longer in the NFL simply because there are many more players that can make an impact.

I'm still undecided on Brissett for the Colts for similar reasons. He isn't really winning games for them, but he's holding his own. They could have a legitimate shot at winning that division after all the despair of Andrew Luck retiring and leaving the Colts as +400 or something favorites to win the AFC South going into the year.
I like him. He has great intangibles and he is talented, although I'm sure he needs a better supporting cast than Luck would. You need that anyway though to go far.