Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance?

Tools    

Adrian Dunbar in the final episode of Line of Duty Series 5. Very skilled and has to be the most intense performance he's given over the five series.

Russell Hunter as Mr. Stabs in Shadows: Dutch Schlitz's Shoes (1975). Phenomenal range he had.

I was idly looking through some YouTube videos of old cartoons recently. The Galvatron creation sequence in The Transformers: The Movie was fantastic and really sticks out in my memory. Orson Welles was great as Unicron. I love the way he delivers his lines – it's so interesting. I particularly like when he says "You belong to me now" as he lets the "now" trail off quietly, and you really feel the isolation of the planet-sized robot along with its phenomenal power.

Anyway, going on from that I was looking at some voice comparisons for animated characters and Magneto stood out as he usually does. I was surprised to see that the great Dwight Schultz had provided the voice in one cartoon. Rather than use his own voice he'd clearly done a brilliantly observed replication of Ian McKellen's voice. Unbelievably good. They've been re-running The A-Team for a few years in the UK and I often notice how versatile he was with his voice. This is one talent I haven't encountered with him until now.

Plus, I was laughing at the voice of Shockwave in The Transformers. Apparently the team wanted David Warner or a similar voice (due to his appearance in Tron) and the voice they ended up with is really nothing like him at all – and camp in its failure.

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

More like JoaKING Phoenix :P (I am so sorry for that but I really wanted to say it)

Anita Ekberg in Boccaccio '70. A case of director and actress in perfect harmony, and not for the first time. Impressive movie making from her and the Maestro. A brilliant and immortal performance by the star.

Anita Ekberg in Boccaccio '70. A case of director and actress in perfect harmony, and not for the first time. Impressive movie making from her and the Maestro. A brilliant and immortal performance by the star.
A cute movie, which I haven't watched in a long time. Ekberg was something else! Who could forget her iconic scene, sensuously wading around in the Trevi Fountain in La Dolce Vita?

~Doc

Isabelle Adjani, Possession
Love that film

Joe Pesci in The Irishman.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies.
Good movie, but Blethyn is an actress who needs a firm director. She was particularly OTT in this movie.

Joe Pesci in The Irishman.
Can’t wait. Streaming on the 27th.

⬆️ Haven’t been in a movie theater for decades. I need pause & rewind buttons when I watch a movie.

If this is where you go, it’s a beautiful Art Deco theater.

Yes, that is the interior of the main theater at the AFI (American Film Institute) complex in Silver Spring, MD (just a few blocks from the Washington, D.C. line). The Irishman was showing on one of the two smaller screens, and those rooms are less ornate and Deco-inspired, but still nice.

I have seen many films on that screen, new features and lots of revivals. Everything from Casablanca to Xanadu to The Hateful 8 in 70mm.

⬆️ Haven’t been in a movie theater for decades. I need pause & rewind buttons when I watch a movie.
Same here .

Joaquin Phoenix in Joker.

Blew me away so much I went back to the theater to see it two more times and have already ordered the blu-ray.

The last actor to really blow me away before that was probably Joaquin Phoenix in Her.
There might be a pattern here.