Dark Phoenix

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's called the Dark Phoenix Saga for a reason. One damn movie isn't going to do it justice.

Suspect's Reviews

I’m one of those who didn’t mind Apocalypse too much, but this one looks bad. Every trailer I’ve seen doesn’t get me moderately excited. Not one bit. It looks bland, boring and nothing interest me. It seems so recycled and stale.

At least my expectations are low. If I ever do end up seeing it when it hits digital.

Welcome to the human race...
I saw it last night and, while I definitely don't think I liked it, I'm still kind of torn on how much I do dislike it. Like I noted elsewhere, there's nothing egregiously bad like in the first Wolverine movie or The Last Stand, but it's so inert for the most part that acknowledging its few strengths (i.e. the train sequence) still feels pointless. Then again, I don't exactly hold the non-Logan installments in high esteem to begin with (yes even the "good" ones like First Class or X2) so this really is just more of the same as far as I'm concerned.

I saw it last night and, while I definitely don't think I liked it, I'm still kind of torn on how much I do dislike it. Like I noted elsewhere, there's nothing egregiously bad like in the first Wolverine movie or The Last Stand, but it's so inert for the most part that acknowledging its few strengths (i.e. the train sequence) still feels pointless. Then again, I don't exactly hold the non-Logan installments in high esteem to begin with (yes even the "good" ones like First Class or X2) so this really is just more of the same as far as I'm concerned.
I'd agree Logan is really the only film in the franchise that I think holds together as a great complete piece of cinema. Besides that there has always been a tendency for even the better films to feel rather fractured that IMHO makes them seem a bit less impressive now relative to the MCU.

22% @ RT, 22!?, worse than Apocalypse, X3 and Origins?
Also it's raining 'Save your money' reviews all over the interwebz.
Don't know if it's a DC fans hate campaign or the Russian hackers from TLJ , but it worked; canceled my plan to go see it this afternoon.

Welcome to the human race...
Depends on whether or not it's worse to be an inessential mediocrity or a bone-headed trainwreck, I guess.

I'd agree Logan is really the only film in the franchise that I think holds together as a great complete piece of cinema. Besides that there has always been a tendency for even the better films to feel rather fractured that IMHO makes them seem a bit less impressive now relative to the MCU.
Even Logan arguably depends on a familiarity with the franchise to really work - it'd be a decent enough superhero deconstruction on its own, but it wouldn't be quite as good if you hadn't already seen the various adventures and tragedies Wolverine had had to go through to get to that point.

Saw it last night and while it isn't a great movie, I thought it was decent. I always loved the scenes in these movies that involved the mansion. It reminds me of the comics which I loved. I would give it a B- overall and as mentioned it is part of a saga and it fits well into all of that. I also love Quicksilver action sequences, very fun.

Even Logan arguably depends on a familiarity with the franchise to really work - it'd be a decent enough superhero deconstruction on its own, but it wouldn't be quite as good if you hadn't already seen the various adventures and tragedies Wolverine had had to go through to get to that point.
The first two films would probably be enough to understand the situation pretty well in Logan I'd say.

Again in retrospect though my memory of those films tends to be more their iconic moments rather than the film as a whole, stuff like Magneto escaping from the plastic prison. Indeed I think that holds true up to Days of Future Past where I remember the set pieces much more than the overall plot.

By comparison I think the MCU has been able to come up with films that can be quite set piece heavy but still hold together better, even with large casts. Perhaps part of the difference is that Marvel tends to focus heavily on character not giving as much attension to the wider setting and more overt politics connected to it meaning fewer placeholder characters.

Boldly going.
Saw it last night. I thought it was way too dark. I think they may have been trying to emulate the mood of Avengers Infinity War, but went too light on the humour. The movie needed more Quicksilver. They also seemed to be emulating Captain Marvel, with the shape-shifting aliens and the cosmic battle. They would've been better to have Rogue come back as Phoenix's main foil, as Rogue also has the ability to sap a mutant's powers (although if this would work on Phoenix, I don't know).

Probably my least-favourite X-Men movie.

I saw this one on Saturday. It may be unpopular but, I like it. However, this isn't the best X-Men movie out there. For me Logan was the best. On the other hand, I don't think Dark Phoenix is the worst of all. I liked better what was done with Jean Grey in this one than in X3.

I have this idea in my mind that part of the misfortunes in Dark Phoenix come from the Disney-Fox merge. So, if it is true, f_ck you Disney. I didn't look forward for Disney to buy Fox. I do believe that something like Logan would never happened under Disney.

A bucket of anxiety
There is no point in complaining about some talentless hacks cashing out on the popularity of characters they have the rights to, and you're not entitled to get a good movie from them
I feel like you would love my channel because you sound like me, but you also said there's no point in complaining about it, so I'm not sure lol. I find talking about bad movies is a lot of fun and the subject can be a case study for learning how to write better films. (or become drinking games, whichever you prefer)

I feel like you would love my channel because you sound like me, but you also said there's no point in complaining about it, so I'm not sure lol. I find talking about bad movies is a lot of fun and the subject can be a case study for learning how to write better films. (or become drinking games, whichever you prefer)
Talking about it, sure. You can learn something from that. But complaining... what is that going to change? It's just people with resentment and entitlement wanting closure.

So, what's your channel?

By the way, I poked my head in at the theater... oh my... I heard it was bad, but it was a cringe-fest. Every line was as cliche and boring as possible.

By the way, I poked my head in at the theater... oh my... I heard it was bad, but it was a cringe-fest. Every line was as cliche and boring as possible.
That's one of the most frustrating things. You might see some phenomenal acting but if it's unsupported by the quality of the writing it's such a waste.

You ready? You look ready.
I can’t take Sansa serious now, so I did a hard pass on this one. Sounds like I was right.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

None of the Xmen movies are exactly like the comics.. .as well as any other Marvel movie... so why was everyone expecting it to be so?... She is and always will be one of my favorite X-men characters and she can still kick the a$$ of 99.8% of all Marvel and DC characters.. nuff said!

I can’t take Sansa serious now, so I did a hard pass on this one. Sounds like I was right.
I can't say I've got a lot of experience with Bryan Singer's films but the casting of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane really puzzled me at the time. Sophie Turner's casting did appear to be just a profile thing rather than getting the best actor for a role with a lot of future potential; in retrospect I appreciate Famke Janssen a lot more. I saw Turner saying that acting opposite Michael Fassbender (who looks off the charts in that helicopter scene) was daunting and really someone with a bit more range would only have improved the character and the films. Tye Sheridan seems a bit lost as well, but without seeing all of the last two films it's unfair to assume too much.

I don't think Fox ever did a great job of making these movies for the general audiences like Marvel did with their universe. I am a casual comic book fan. Like most the movies don't read the comics. If you asked me to put all the X-Men movies in order I'd be completely lost. I really have no clue how any of these characters connect or what most of them do. The only X-Men movies I really saw and gave two sh*ts about were Deadpool and Logan. I trust marvel will handle these characters better and make a causal like me like them and understand the world better.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

How quickly you can become a highly paid actress. Just like Sophie Turner, there are millions, I do not notice her special talent.