Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Brother (2000)

A blot in the Takeshi Kitano copybook in my estimation. Predictable storyline and whereas his normal long shots and sparse dialogue lead to interest they just seem there for style reasons here. it's not awful, it's watcheable, it's just not that good. Omar Epps is fine as are the rest of the cast. I read that "Beat" was unhappy with the finished article and I can believe it but the truth is he probably wanted bigger exposure and was willing to compromise for that.

"White"'d out his mind....amazing performance.

Rocketman (2019)

Musical biopics are basically sports movies with more glitter.

I saw the Marks and Spencers Ad and that was enough.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)
I'm surprised by the amount of praise this has been getting. I found it totally predictable and cliché, the dialogue was at times awful and the worst was watching Vince Vaughan try and fight like an ex boxer! Honestly, they might as well have used footage of Frankenstein fighting. His punches were so slow he was almost going backwards!

So much of it didn't really make that much sense to me but it had enough violence (which at times was poorly done) to keep me from turning it off.

I do feel sorry for Vaughan after that, massively miscast.

You might be right about that, SL. I skipped the picture because I've grown weary of prison movie stories, just as I have kidnapping movies.

But I suspect in comparison that Vaughn more than made up for "99" in Dragged Across Concrete. I thought his work was top shelf in that role.

I don't like violence and gore in movies as a general statement, but director/writer Zahler will be on my watch list now because of his work in "Concrete".

~Doc

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)

I'm surprised by the amount of praise this has been getting. I found it totally predictable and cliché, the dialogue was at times awful and the worst was watching Vince Vaughan try and fight like an ex boxer! Honestly, they might as well have used footage of Frankenstein fighting. His punches were so slow he was almost going backwards!

So much of it didn't really make that much sense to me but it had enough violence (which at times was poorly done) to keep me from turning it off.

I do feel sorry for Vaughan after that, massively miscast.

A shame you didn’t like it. I really enjoy this director’s films. And I thought Vaughn was pretty great. Took me 20 minutes or so to adapt to his new look and style, but it worked for me...

The violence is done intentionally bad though. Zahler’s work are clearly grindhouse-ish inspired b-flicks with some pulp mixed into it. I would say it’s definitely an acquired taste though. Very heavy on style.

The Perfection
(2018)
3.5/5

All I can say about the ending is "F*CK YEAH!!"

@cricket .. you gotta see this!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw the Marks and Spencers Ad and that was enough.
It is basically the same as that John Lewis ad but 10 times as long and with more drugs.

Buena Vista Social Club (1999) Wim Wenders

There is nothing I don't love about Cuba.

We Cubans can be thankful, I don't know, to the Man up there... that we are the way we are. If we cared about possessions, we would have disappeared long ago. But we Cubans are very fortunate. We're a small country. But we're very strong. We've learned how to resist... the good and the bad.
Ibrahim Ferrer

Unregistered User
A shame you didn’t like it. I really enjoy this director’s films. And I thought Vaughn was pretty great. Took me 20 minutes or so to adapt to his new look and style, but it worked for me...

The violence is done intentionally bad though. Zahler’s work are clearly grindhouse-ish inspired b-flicks with some pulp mixed into it. I would say it’s definitely an acquired taste though. Very heavy on style.

I absolutely love Bone Tomahawk, like
much but I really didn't buy into this one at all. I'm could also almost call myself a fan of Vaughn too, just he's not that type of character.

Glad you enjoyed it though and I'll still try and get to see Zahler's new one. Is it good?

Unregistered User
You might be right about that, SL. I skipped the picture because I've grown weary of prison movie stories, just as I have kidnapping movies.

But I suspect in comparison that Vaughn more than made up for "99" in Dragged Across Concrete. I thought his work was top shelf in that role.

I don't like violence and gore in movies as a general statement, but director/writer Zahler will be on my watch list now because of his work in "Concrete".

~Doc

Good to hear that Doc, I just mentioned that I would still be happy to check out Dragged Against Concrete.

Glad you enjoyed it though and I'll still try and get to see Zahler's new one. Is it good?
Happy you enjoy Tomahawk at least!

Yeah, I think it’s pretty good but Concrete is definitely his most polarizing yet. I have no idea if you’ll like it or hate it. I was disappointed but maybe it’ll grow on me. I think though that if you have a problem with his dialogue or more self-indulging aspects you’ll probably not like Concrete.

It’s really long but If you prepare yourself I think you’ll have a fine enough time If you are willing to embrace it. But yeah I don’t know.... it really feels like Zahler trying to make a cult classic gritty cop movie but the ambitious nature kinda falls down several places. As you can here I really don’t know how I feel about it yet. In one way it’s awful. In another it feels like something greater. Who knows.

Unregistered User

Oasis (2002)

What a brilliant film and an amazing story. Performance by So-ri Moon who's character has severe cerebral palsy, is honestly astonishing. One of the best Korean films I've seen so far.

Unregistered User
Happy you enjoy Tomahawk at least!

Yeah, I think it’s pretty good but Concrete is definitely his most polarizing yet. I have no idea if you’ll like it or hate it. I was disappointed but maybe it’ll grow on me. I think though that if you have a problem with his dialogue or more self-indulging aspects you’ll probably not like Concrete.

It’s really long but If you prepare yourself I think you’ll have a fine enough time If you are willing to embrace it. But yeah I don’t know.... it really feels like Zahler trying to make a cult classic gritty cop movie but the ambitious nature kinda falls down several places. As you can here I really don’t know how I feel about it yet. In one way it’s awful. In another it feels like something greater. Who knows.

Oasis (2002)

What a brilliant film and an amazing story. Performance by So-ri Moon who's character has severe cerebral palsy, is honestly astonishing. One of the best Korean films I've seen so far.

I think it was Sean Baker who raved about this one. I really need to see it.