Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

West Side Story ( Robert Wise, 1961)

Wow, that was epic! No wonder West Side Story won a whopping ten Oscars including:

Best Picture
Best Supporting Actor: George Chakiris - Bernado
Best Supporting Actress: Rita Moreno - Anita
Best Director: Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins
Best Cinematography, Color
Best Music Score
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Best Costume Design, Color
Best Sound
Best Film Editing

And I agree, it deserved to win them all! What a lavish telling of a simple, yet effective tale. Boy meets girl from the wrong side of the tracks, the romance is doomed, with tragic results. Romeo and Juliet set to a street gang musical.

The movie has so many wonderful songs that I don't know where to start. The Jet Song, where we are first introduced to the Jets on the streets was a favorite. Both the song's melody and lyrics...as well as the choreography were perfect for that scene. Very cool!

Dance at the Gym...
loved it! that entire number, the colors, the movement, the song, everything about it. That was one of my favorites.

Another favorite scene was the dressmaking scene when Tony visits Maria after hours and they use the clothing mannequins in the store to tell the story of how their parents would view their love. Very charming and personal too.

Gee, Officer Krupke! ...was hilarious, loved the way it was staged and loved the lyrics to the song, very clever.
.....Gee, Officer Krupke, Krup you!
Ha! that cracked me up.

I really liked Natalie Wood in this, and I'm not her biggest fan. But here she really fits the role and made a perfectly sweet Maria.

I wasn't to keen on the way Tony was presented by Richard Beymer. I read he wasn't to happy playing Tony as the nicest, sappiest guy in the world, either. He wanted Tony to have a bit more roughness to him but the director thought otherwise. Oh well, it still works.

My favorite characters/actors was Russ Tamblyn who finally got to do a substantial role here. He was a noted dancer, strong on gymnastics which got him a part in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I thought he made a pretty good leader of the Jets too. Same for the Sharks head man, Bernado -
George Chakiris, he was really intense, which fit the movie well. Also I liked Rita Moreno here and the old candy store owner too.

All right that's enough writing....West Side Story is close to perfection. The look, the song numbers, the choreography and the tragic love story. Sublime.

Very nice review of a beautiful movie-musical movie, CitizenRules! Way to go!

The California Kid (1974)

Director: Richard T. Heffron
Writer: Richard Compton
Cast: Martin Sheen, Vic Morrow, Michelle Phillips
Genre: Action, Drama

A sadistic small town sheriff baits a speed trap on a curvy mountain highway. When the speeders don't pull over he uses his souped-up cop car with a big push bar on the front to shove the speeders right over the cliff!...One day the brother of one of the sheriff's victims roars into town in his 1934 Ford hotrod, with vengeance on his mind. CR

The California Kid is a 1974 TV movie that seems to have been inspired by an earlier TV movie directed by an unknown director Steven Spielberg Duel (1971). With the success of Duel it was a given that TV executives would order up more of the same, and The California Kid fits that bill! With road rage chases, spills and thrills, cool cars and a side line story of a loner boy (Martin Sheen) shacking up with local waitress (Michelle Phillips).

A young Martin Sheen in a James Dean type role stands beside and an even younger Michelle Phillips as a lonely waitress stuck in a deadend town.

I couldn't help but notice how similar Sheen played his role to a James Dean type character, only he plays it much more reserved. He says little, and that makes him more of an interesting character here.

Perhaps the most interesting character though is town sheriff played by Vic Morrow. At first he seems to be the typical evil small town sheriff, a caricature we love to hate. But then we learn that his wife and kids were killed by a hit and run speeder, and we see him setting lonely in his back yard filled with children's toys rusty in the hot sun, and we feel bad for him. All of this backstory gives the sheriff some sympathy which makes the film more than just a road chase movie.

Of course the main attraction is the road duel between the sheriff in his powerful cop car and the California Kid in his 1934 Ford coupe. For a made for TV movie this was pretty decent.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The California Kid 1974 (1a).jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	47630   Click image for larger version

Name:	The California Kid 1974 (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	47631   Click image for larger version

Name:	The California Kid 1974 (3).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	47632   Click image for larger version

Name:	The California Kid 1974.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	47635  

Crossfire (1947)

Director: Edward Dmytryk
Writers: John Paxton (screenplay), Richard Brooks (novel)
Cast: Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame, Sam Levine
Genre: Crime Detective Drama, Film-Noir

A man is murdered for no apparent reason. The only suspects are a group of off duty soldiers who met the man in a bar. In his hotel room a detective finds one of the soldiers wallet. But his fellow soldiers believe he's incapable of murder and try to get answers before it's too late. CR

1947 was a hallmark year for socially conscious anti-bigotry films. Besides the fore mentioned Crossfire, there was also the Gregory Peck vehicle Gentlemen's Agreement. Both films were Oscar nominated but only the later took home any awards. Crossfire for all it's critical acclaim and five Academy Award nominations, came up empty handed.

The movie was based on Richard Brooks' 1945 novel The Brick Foxhole. The novel dealt with the bigoted killing of a homosexual soldier by his fellow soldiers. For the movie it was changed to anti semantic bigotry as the studio knew that any depiction of homosexuality would not get past the 'Hays' Production Code censors.

The three Robert's movie! The title card has the three lead actors names listed together: Robert Ryan, Robert Mitchum, Robert Young.

Crossfire is in the canon of must see film noirs...and I wouldn't dispute that, mainly for it's historical film importance. It plays out more like a detective movie with a murder and uses flashbacks to tell the story of how the man (Sam Levine) was murdered. Quickly we're introduced to a loud mouth, belligerent jerk (Robert Ryan) and to the calm, pipe smoking detective (Robert Young) who uses his brain and not his gun to solve the case. In the course of investigation, Keeley (Robert Mitchum) another solider is held for questioning. As the film progresses and an alibi is sought, we're introduced to a hard nosed, jaded B girl played by the queen of B girls Gloria Grahame.

'Ginny' (Gloria Grahame) is questioned by the head detective (Robert Young).

So this all sounds like a making of a great film, but I found the movie rather dull at times. There's no goose bump moments, no amazing scenes and while the actors were up to par the script doesn't allow them to shine much. With the exception of the maniacal Robert Ryan character, who oozes sociopathic badness.

Robert Mitchum hated making the film, later claiming that any American actor could have played Keeley.
However Gloria Grahame considered Ginny to be her favorite role that she had played. I liked Gloria here, but her screen time is very limited and she doesn't get to do to much. Oddly I found her to look very different in Crossfire than she usually did. Perhaps it's the long light blonde hair? She usually had short dark blonde hair.

Crossfire has one of the all time great taglines: 'Hate Is Like A Loaded Gun'

Attachments

Name:	Crossfire 1947 (1).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	47638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfire 1947 (4).jpg
Views:	532
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	47639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfire 1947 (3).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	47641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfire 1947 (2).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	47643  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
that is a pretty great tagline!

Roughshod (1949)

Director: Mark Robson
Writers: Peter Viertel (story), Daniel Mainwaring (screenplay)
Cast: Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame, Claude Jarman Jr., John Ireland
Genre: Western

Clay (Robert Sterling) and his younger brother Stevie (Claude Jarman Jr.) are taking a heard of horses across open country to Sonora to sell them. Along the way they find a broken buggy with four fancy women in it. The women are saloon girls and were 'asked' to leave the last town they were in. They're headed to Sonora too, so reluctantly Clay agrees to give them a ride. Meanwhile an escape killer (John Ireland) is after Clay for some payback from a past incident. The three escaped convicts have already killed some unarmed men and taken their clothes and horses. Young Stevie likes Mary (Gloria Grahame) and wants to see his brother end up with her. But the older brother feels she's tainted, besides he's too busy looking over his shoulder for the killers. CR

Roughshod is a little known western by a director who's well known for making such films as The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958), Peyton Place (1957), The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954). Like those films Roughshod is focused on the human story more so than action and adventure. The film delves into the relationship between the two parent-less brothers.

The youngest brother has a fully developed character and is by far the most interesting of the two. The younger actor Claude Jarman Jr. is best known for playing the lead in The Yearling. Here he's equally good. I like the way he plays a 12-13 year old boy believably, it's an intelligently written script. One almost forgets that there's a gang of killers on the loose, as the film works so well as a drama.

Gloria Grahame in a western? No way! That's what I thought, but damn she's real good here, this is one of my favorite performances by her. Gloria gets a lot of air time and lots of good scenes as well. She makes the most of it too. The male lead Clay, played by Robert Sterling isn't anything special. Though Sterling and the rest of the actors are up to the task, it's Gloria and the kid who really stand out. Oh and John Ireland makes a formidable bad guy, of course!

I was pleasantly surprised by Roughshod.

Attachments

Name:	Roughshod 1949 (1).jpg
Views:	376
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	47646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roughshod 1949 (2).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	47647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roughshod 1949 (3).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	47649  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The California Kid (1974)

Director: Richard T. Heffron
Writer: Richard Compton
Cast: Martin Sheen, Vic Morrow, Michelle Phillips
Genre: Action, Drama

A sadistic small town sheriff baits a speed trap on a curvy mountain highway. When the speeders don't pull over he uses his souped-up cop car with a big push bar on the front to shove the speeders right over the cliff!...One day the brother of one of the sheriff's victims roars into town in his 1934 Ford hotrod, with vengeance on his mind. CR

The California Kid is a 1974 TV movie that seems to have been inspired by an earlier TV movie directed by an unknown director Steven Spielberg Duel (1971). With the success of Duel it was a given that TV executives would order up more of the same, and The California Kid fits that bill! With road rage chases, spills and thrills, cool cars and a side line story of a loner boy (Martin Sheen) shacking up with local waitress (Michelle Phillips).

A young Martin Sheen in a James Dean type role stands beside and an even younger Michelle Phillips as a lonely waitress stuck in a deadend town.

I couldn't help but notice how similar Sheen played his role to a James Dean type character, only he plays it much more reserved. He says little, and that makes him more of an interesting character here.

Perhaps the most interesting character though is town sheriff played by Vic Morrow. At first he seems to be the typical evil small town sheriff, a caricature we love to hate. But then we learn that his wife and kids were killed by a hit and run speeder, and we see him setting lonely in his back yard filled with children's toys rusty in the hot sun, and we feel bad for him. All of this backstory gives the sheriff some sympathy which makes the film more than just a road chase movie.

Of course the main attraction is the road duel between the sheriff in his powerful cop car and the California Kid in his 1934 Ford coupe. For a made for TV movie this was pretty decent.

I haven't heard of The California Kid, but between the cast and the comparison to Spielberg's Duel, it sounds interesting, so I added it to my watchlist.

Hell to Eternity (1960)

Director: Phil Karlson
Writers: Ted Sherdeman (screenplay), Walter Roeber Schmidt (screenplay)
Cast: Jeffrey Hunter, David Janssen, Vic Damone
Genre: Biography, Drama, War

A young boy is left alone in the world when his mother becomes ill and passes. A kind Japanese-American family adopts him and raises him as one of their sons. After Pearl Harbor his family is sent to an
internment camp and he joins the Marines. In Saipan he becomes a hero when he rescues Japanese civilians living on the island as well as capturing Japanese servicemen. CR

A movie with it's heart in the right place and some impressive battle scenes too, but uneven pacing keeps it from being a classic. And you'd think with it's moralistic story of a white solider who's raised by Japanese American and refuses to demonize them even in war, though he does his share of killing enemy soldiers, that this would be a must see film. But it's got a bad rap because it's based on a true story, but the white solider was actually a Hispanic teenager. Now I doubt there were any A list actors in Hollywood in 1957 who were both teenagers and Hispanic.

As it is it works better IMO as it's mainly the white U.S. government that decides to forcefully remove Japaneses Americans from their homes and put them into intermittent camps. Even though there was never a single act of sabotage by a Japanese American during WWII. In fact many of them served in the U.S. military in the fighting in Europe.

The films first act is touching without being overly sentimental. The actress who played his adoptive mother was wonderful in bridging the racial cap with motherly love. This was my favorite part of the movie.

Then when war breaks out the soldiers go out on the prowl looking for women during a furlough in Hawaii. They find some women and for the next 20 minutes they have a drunken party complete with some strip tease acts, but no nudity. I kept thinking Jack Lemmon or Dean Martin would show up during this lighter stuff which was fun but went on so long that it made me forget about the war...

But then we get right into the naval bombardment of Saipan and what follows is some pretty intense and realistic battle scenes. The scenes are staged well with plenty of actors and look a lot better than some current war movies do.

The lead is played by Jefferey Hunter, best known as Captain Pike of the Enterprise from the original pilot for Star Trek. Just so he feels at home a young George Takei is cast as his brother. It's too bad he doesn't get much air time.

Hell to Eternity
, is a bit clunky at times but has enough good stuff to warrant a watch.

Attachments

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	47802   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	47803   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	47804  

Waterloo Bridge (1931)

Director: James Whale
Writers: Robert E. Sherwood (stage play), Benn W Levy (adaptation)
Cast: Mae Clarke, Douglass Montgomery, Doris Lloyd
Genre: Pre-Code Drama

"A prostitute's self-loathing makes her reluctant to marry an idealistic soldier during World War One."

What impressed me most about Waterloo Bridge, was Mae Clarke's body language. She brought her character to life by deliberately using poor body posture. She's slumped over with rounded shoulders and her head tilted down. That folded into herself body language, matched the self loathing expression on her face. That's method acting, as she's 'feeling' the emotions of her character, a woman who hates herself for becoming a prostitute.

Waterloo Bridge is considered one of Mae Clarke's finest performances. She reminded me of another early actress who I really like, Miriam Hopkins.

Had Waterloo Bridge been made only 3 years later it would have been quite different in story presentation. In 1933 the Hays Production Code took effect which was Hollywood self censoring itself, so that the Catholic Decency League wouldn't go through with their threats to get federal laws passed to control movie making. So...all of that makes this a pre code film, a cinema term that applies to sound films made before 1934.

This is the 1st of three film versions: Waterloo Bridge (1931), Waterloo Bridge (1940), and Gaby (1956). All of which are based on the 1930 play by Robert Sherwood. The play itself was based on a true story of Robert Sherwood meeting an American girl in wartime London who's circumstance were like Myra's in the movie.

OK back to the movie
....Kent Douglass was surprisingly naturalistic, I really believed him as a solider who fell in love with a poor American girl with a secret she desperately wants to keep. I thought he was real good in this, he pulled over naivety and sincerity well. I'm not sure why he didn't have a bigger career.

The woman who played his mother was real good too and surprisingly sympathetic, whilst showing her motherly concern for her son, who she doesn't want to marry Myra.

Bette Davis shined in her small role in what was only her 3rd film, and in the very first year of her movie career. She already showed promise as someone who demands attention from the camera.

Waterloo Bridge (1931) is a noteworthy pre code film, directed by James Whales and it's quite different in structure and feeling than the 1940 version of Waterloo Bridge.

Mr Freedom (1969)

Director: William Klein
Writer: William Klein
Cast: John Abbey, Delphine Seyrig, Donald Pleasence
Genre: Comedy-Satire, Social Commentary

"Mr. Freedom is an all-American superhero that destroys everyone who even remotely disagrees with imperialism. The film accounts his latest assignment to save France from being taken over by the commies."

I laughed out loud at some of it. Mr Freedom was so gung-ho that it was hard not to like this overbearing, one track minded, ultra imperialistic bearer of democracy

There's some clever stuff here if you take this movie
in context with the time in which it was made, and with the social-political changes that were happening in the world....French students at the time took to the streets in massive protest of the French government's policy which was seen as being nationalistic & imperialistic. The student protesters wanted among other things, self rule for the countries that were under French colonial rule. The protest were so forcefully, that France rewrote it's Constitution.

Today's movie watcher might not be aware of that fact, but the makers of this film clearly had those events in mind, thus labeling the French students as communist ciphers.

And of course Mr Freedom's idea that he will bring democracy to France by bombing half the country to destruction, thus making them negotiate, and accepting a U.S. style democracy, was the U.S. policy in the Vietnam war at the time.

Hint...don't miss the LBJ mask that Mr Freedom has in his secret dressing room. The mask and the JFK wanted for treason poster, both at the start of the film make the intentions of the film perfectly clear.

The actor who played Mr Freedom was perfect for the role and the red headed French woman was a hottie! There's lots of fun crazy costumes and historical references in this strange political satire.

+
Attachments

Name:	Mr Freedom (1).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	47834  

Rules, was Mr. Freedom a foreign (French) film?
Is it in English? If so, was it dubbed or are there sub-titles?
I'm asking because I never even heard of it - and I'm kind of up on films pertaining to superheroes, especially those that existed before the genre was a genre!

Rules, was Mr. Freedom a foreign (French) film?
Is it in English? If so, was it dubbed or are there sub-titles?
I'm asking because I never even heard of it - and I'm kind of up on films pertaining to superheroes, especially those that existed before the genre was a genre!
It's an American film in English. It's an experience! It's on Youtube but you have to sign in to prove your age, as there's some toplessness in it, and I don't mean Mr Freedom takes off his shirt

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
(2006)

Director: Tom Tykwer
Writers: Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger, Tom Tykwer (screenplay) Patrick Süskind (novel)
Cast: Ben Whishaw, Dustin Hoffman, Alan Rickman
Genre: Fantasy Drama

"Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, born with a superior olfactory sense, creates the world's finest perfume. His work, however, takes a dark turn as he searches for the ultimate scent."

I thought this was pretty great, very stylish and very unique. It reminded me of a Grimm's fairy tale, I love those...This was done with more flair than graphic violence...and that's why I warmed up to it. Hell I even liked Jean-Baptiste Grenouillem, the man with a nose that could discern all the scents in the world. I actually was rooting for him, at times.

I thought it was fascinating how his world was so different than other peoples, and how he too was very different. I liked the actor Ben Winshaw, in this, he was properly different to be the man with no scent, a man who could not love or feel. He seemed almost alien in his behavior and that worked wonders for building the mystery of scent and it's power over humans.

I was captive by the original story line, I've never seen anything quite like this, and the 2.5 hour run time, flew by. And for me that means I was into the movie. There might be a few minor things I wasn't into, but overall say 99% of the movie worked for me. I think the key to enjoying this is to remember it's genre is mystical-fantasy...or just do as I did and think of it as an unpublished Brothers Grimm fairy tale brought to vivid life.

I liked that Grenouille, the lead character...was shown to be almost divine in his scent ability, which then plays out in one of the last scenes in the city square where he's surrounded by 1000's of people. It was like he was a prophet or mythical.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
is not a thriller film, not a horror film. It's like a classic Grimm's Fairy Tale, for adults.

Attachments

Name:	Perfume The Story of a Murderer 2006 (1).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	47857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfume The Story of a Murderer 2006 (2).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	47858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfume The Story of a Murderer 2006 (3).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	47859  

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Director: Terence Young
Writers: Frederick Knott (play), Robert Carrington (screenplay)
Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna
Genre: Thriller

"A recently blinded woman is terrorized by a trio of thugs while they search for a heroin-stuffed doll they believe is in her apartment."

This was great fun! I'd seen it before but forgot just how entertaining this was. At the get-go it's interesting and that interest builds and builds until the final climatic scene. Never a dull moment, never a moment wasted.

And this could have been just a run-of-the-mill film if it wasn't for the talented Audrey Hepburn. It's Audrey who makes this far fetched story, very believable. She does that with her 'reaction shots'. She reacts so realistically that it lends credence to what otherwise would have been a long ago forgotten movie.

She makes a very believable blind woman who's recently lost her sight. I like that she wasn't all self determined to do everything for herself. Instead she seemed unsure of herself and would ask for help. Where as in most movies she would have been demanding that people let her do the task all by herself. That seemed believable to me.

So too was the way she held her gaze and her eyes. She sold me on the believe that she was blind, and that's necessary for the movie to work. And her blindness is what ultimately saves her...All of that was well done.

But the real deal maker was Audrey's reaction shots to Alan Arkin. She was terrified and so real in the way she reacted...that then Alan Arkin becomes all the more threatening to us. Much in the same way that Jodie Foster through her reactions makes Silence of the Lambs work.

I haven't read the other write-up of Wait Until Dark, but something tells me tons of praise was heaped on Alan Arkin, and very little on Miss Hepburn. Without Audrey's fine performance the film would fall apart.

Attachments

Name:	Wait Until Dark 1967 a (1).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	47860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wait Until Dark 1967 a (2).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	47861  

It's an American film in English. It's an experience! It's on Youtube but you have to sign in to prove your age, as there's some toplessness in it, and I don't mean Mr Freedom takes off his shirt

Thanks, Rules!
I've begun to watch this on YouTube.

Surprised I never heard of it before... and I'm the guy who watched Abar: The First Black Superman (1977) - one of the most bizarre, cult, bad blaxploitation superhero movies ever made!

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...62#post1491562

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122116/

Thanks, Rules!
I've begun to watch this on YouTube.

Surprised I never heard of it before... and I'm the guy who watched Abar: The First Black Superman (1977) - one of the most bizarre, cult, bad blaxploitation superhero movies ever made!
Have you finished watching Mr Freedom? What did ya think? I've not heard of the other film you mentioned.

Have you finished watching Mr Freedom? What did ya think? I've not heard of the other film you mentioned.
I started watching it, but my computer use is rather limited these days.

And don't watch Abar unless you are in the mood for really bad blaxploitation (some of the movies from that genre are quite entertaining, and some are "so bad they're good," but Abar is mostly bad - it's got a few "laughably bad" moments, but mostly just bad.)

I started watching it, but my computer use is rather limited these days.

And don't watch Abar unless you are in the mood for really bad blaxploitation (some of the movies from that genre are quite entertaining, and some are "so bad they're good," but Abar is mostly bad - it's got a few "laughably bad" moments, but mostly just bad.)
OK, I'll skip it.

I'm enthused to see Donald Pleasence in Mr. Freedom (looks like he's the only big name in the film).

I'm a fan of Pleasence: The Great Escape, Fantastic Voyage, Halloween, Escape from New York, etc.!

I'm enthused to see Donald Pleasence in Mr. Freedom (looks like he's the only big name in the film).

I'm a fan of Pleasence: The Great Escape, Fantastic Voyage, Halloween, Escape from New York, etc.!
I like Donald Pleasence too, he makes a good creepy-intelligent guy. I forgot his role in Mr Freedom but I think he was head of CIA and the handler of Mr Freedom. We mainly see him on a TV monitor.