Movies about Music

Tools    

What even is this?

Girl's just flying with a saxophone in her hand. I'm just supposed to let that go without saying anything?
haha, that's just promotional still I suppose. It's just light comedy movie about bunch of loser... girls unexpectedly meet jazz scenery.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
PINK FLOYD - THE WALL

Roger Waters' self Ego masturbation tale. Still, has plenty of visual appeal [the cartoon bits are damn unforgettable]

WHIPLASH

Everything in this movie is well done. I was heavily impressed by the commitment of the actors. The last few minutes of the movie are remarkable.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Whiplash - I still need to watch this, but I'm very excited by it.

Shine - Brilliant (IMHO)

Love and Mercy - Surprisingly pulled into this one as it provided an insider look into the studio process, as well as the obsessive nature of some artists and the torment that that ...sensitivity (for lack of a better word?) ...can create.

The Wrecking Crew - Documentary of the studio musicians during the '60s.

August Rush - Borderline contrived for me due to plot points, but still very enjoyable and beautiful where it needs to be.

Sing Street - Great fun watching the story of this Irish kid start a band to impress a girl during the 80's pop music scene. I mean, anyone who has ever picked up a guitar due to a childhood crush should immediately fall in love with this as it will take you back to exactly that exciting awkwardness. Honestly, this should probably be higher on my list, but I'm typing as they come to mind, so...

Begin Again - Nothing terribly great, but it was a sweet movie, nonetheless.

The Crossroads - Totally inspired me to play guitar. I nearly wore my VHS tape out hitting play, pause, and rewind over and over trying to see Ralph Macchio's fingering in the final duel scene.

*edit*
Sweet and Lowdown - another wonderful film.

Whiplash - I still need to watch this, but I'm very excited by it.

Shine - Brilliant (IMHO)

The Crossroads - Totally inspired me to play guitar. I nearly wore my VHS tape out hitting play, pause, and rewind over and over trying to see Ralph Macchio's fingering in the final duel scene..
Oh man I forgot about SHINE. Such a great movie. Really empathized with the character. I think it really spoke to my inner child. The father-son relationship [you do as I tell you, you'll be what I want you to be] is a universal topic.

You'll enjoy Whiplash. Promise.

The Pianist.

While not about music necessarily, it uses music and the protagonists relationship to it in an incredibly powerful way.
The Pianist was an excellent film. Glad I saw it.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Granted it is based on a Broadway play, but Jersey Boys is a really good film about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

This documentary has truly picked my interest because I've been a fan of these guys since 1992

I wonder if both the original Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 could/would be considered movies about music.

In both of these films, powerful classical music pieces were played, and the animation that was shown along with them seemed appropriate...and relevant, if one gets the drift.

Granted, Fantasia 2000 wasn't quite as good as the original Fantasia (Nothing beats the original, when it comes to pretty much any film!), but it worked, in its own way.

This documentary has truly picked my interest because I've been a fan of these guys since 1992
ah, I definitely forgot about that documentary existence
. Thx it's remind me

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Shine was amazing. Rush is just incredible.

Pirate Radio. Love it.