The Stoning of Soraya M.

→ in
Tools    

15,000 feet above you and falling fast...
This is my first real post on these boards, so here goes nothin'.

The Stoning of Soraya M takes place in 1986 Iran. It's based on the true story of Soraya who was stoned to death after being falsely accused of infidelity.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277737/

Forget culture, that has nothing to do with it. Forget religion, that's just the platform he used to kill his wife. This movie is all about injustice and proof that persistence pays off, and it'll stay with me for quite a long time.

Has anyone else seen this movie? If you did, what are your thoughts on it? If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend adding it to your eventual must see list. Well worth it, in my humble opinion.

My father has seen it and I have it here. He told me it was excellent. It takes me awhile to get up enough whatever it is that I need to have in order to sit through this kind of insanity, but I plan to at some point.

sounds interesting. Sadly these murders are only too common. Even here in the UK there's cases of so called 'honour' killings although what honourable people can ce doing murdering innocent women I just don't understand

Never heard of it, thanks Fialynn and welcome to the forums. Sounds like something I would watch, but as PW said above, I would need gather some sort of mood before watching it.

My father has seen it and I have it here. He told me it was excellent. It takes me awhile to get up enough whatever it is that I need to have in order to sit through this kind of insanity, but I plan to at some point.
I know what you mean. I need to work up the fortitude to get through these kinds of movies too. I often put off watching them, even when I'm told that they're very good.

Welcome to the forum .

I read a not so jolly review in Sight and Sound a month ago on this film. They basically said that the film came across as anti muslim and that the inevitable stoning scene was sickening. I will certainly be checking it out at some point, though.

I read a not so jolly review in Sight and Sound a month ago on this film. They basically said that the film came across as anti muslim and that the inevitable stoning scene was sickening. I will certainly be checking it out at some point, though.
Isn't that the point? What's pro-muslim about stoning? I'm not saying the culture is terrible but the film depicting this specific point in history isn't really trying to say "well yeah this happened but they're still awesome guys"

Isn't that the point? What's pro-muslim about stoning? I'm not saying the culture is terrible but the film depicting this specific point in history isn't really trying to say "well yeah this happened but they're still awesome guys"
This is all I read. These aren't the opinions of myself as I haven't seen the film yet. I think what the magazine was suggesting is that there is sympathetic muslim besides the title character and that the stoning scene itself feels like propaganda. Again, this is what I read and I will make no judgements until I have seen the film myself.

15,000 feet above you and falling fast...
I acutally didn't see where it was anti-muslim. I saw the struggle of a woman who was stuck in a pre-arranged marriage and hated her husband for HIS infidelity and the fact that she was abused. It would be tragic regardless of any religion, imho.

When I watched it, I was fairly ambivilent about the religious aspect of the movie. Idk, it seemed to me that religion was just the catalyst because he couldn't have had her stoned to death without involving it. I was more impressed with the Aunt who put her own life on the line to make sure her story was someday told.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One thing I may have found far fetched about the movie was the ending.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
In the ending they want to stop the reporter character from leaving the country with evidence of the murder/execution. However, would the characters who were part of the execution actually care? They know that other countries do not have jurisdiction, so why would they care if one person has evidence on the the execution?
Especially when they cannot be stopped by the world?

One thing I may have found far fetched about the movie was the ending.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
In the ending they want to stop the reporter character from leaving the country with evidence of the murder/execution. However, would the characters who were part of the execution actually care? They know that other countries do not have jurisdiction, so why would they care if one person has evidence on the the execution?
Especially when they cannot be stopped by the world?
I loved the movie because it's intense and disturbing, but it was certainly imperfect. As for your questions, I'd say it's quite common for people to not want to make their business known even if they are not at risk for legal trouble. I would say it's even more the case for something so extreme and controversial, and it's at risk for the whole world finding out.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I loved the movie because it's intense and disturbing, but it was certainly imperfect. As for your questions, I'd say it's quite common for people to not want to make their business known even if they are not at risk for legal trouble. I would say it's even more the case for something so extreme and controversial, and it's at risk for the whole world finding out.
Oh okay, I thought that a group of people that would stone someone to death, without any type of real proof of a sin or due process, would be the type of people who obviously do not have a lot of shame, and wouldn't care what the world thought of them.