Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Reading ahead, I see that this was already disqualified, but I don't know anything about Genocyber. Why would you think that I wouldn't watch it? Is it horror?
According to wiki it is very violent.
Controversy[edit]
Genocyber was notable for its controversial content and its extremely graphic horror violence. The OVA "breaks the unwritten rule that you never show a child getting seriously injured or killed" and "takes sadistic glee in being as graphic as possible" as it features many victims being brutally dismembered and disemboweled throughout the OVA. In the first OVA, the masked assistants of Dr. Reed kill everyone in a hospital in an effort to find Elaine; they viciously murder patients, nurses, and doctors. The last victim is the police detective that tries to protect Elaine, who has a brutally performed "surgery"; when he awakens, he discovers to his horror that all of the skin and muscle tissue has been removed from the front of his chest, abdomen, and pelvis, leaving all of his internal organs visible. In the second OVA, Elaine's young friends are killed by helicopter gunships, with their entire bodies being shredded by bullets. The whole anime has gore depicted in graphic detail and is infamous for the lack of remorse within most characters

That sounds like it would have been a replay of the Comedy HoF all over again.

The only one of those I've seen is Paprika, which wasn't really my type of movie, but it was interesting, and overall, I enjoyed it.

From your description, Tokyo Godfathers sounds like it might be more my style.
Yeah, it's nothing like Paprika.

WARNING: "Tokyo Godfathers Synopsis" spoilers below
It's about three homeless people - who have basically become each other's surrogate family - who find an abandoned baby in the trash on Christmas Eve and together try to find the child's mother and figure out why the baby was abandoned.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I am giving Miss Vicky FULL power to kick Guaps nomination out. I'm thinking about it tonight and I believe he is playing BS games with us and I'd rather have everyone else still in instead of him with his series nominations. Your call Miss Vicky.

I think it's really childish for Guap to even go down this road with how many animated films the guy has seen.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm giving her full power because she already started watching. I would be kicking it out now if that weren't the case, but wouldn't be fair as she started already.

I am giving Miss Vicky FULL power to kick Guaps nomination out. I'm thinking about it tonight and I believe he is playing BS games with us and I'd rather have everyone else still in instead of him with his series nominations. Your call Miss Vicky.

I think it's really childish for Guap to even go down this road with how many animated films the guy has seen.

I can't find much information on it. What little I can find calls it a "retelling" of the second season of the series - but I'm not sure if that means its newly animated or if it means that they just stuck episodes together and maybe added a few bits to smooth it out. It certainly feels like the latter. Either way it technically fits the requirements that I put forth in the Animation Countdown.

I've watched another fifteen minutes of it, which puts me at just over an hour and I really don't know what the hell is going on or even who is who, though I do intend to finish it. Maybe I've missed something but so far this simply doesn't work as a stand-alone film and is an absolutely horrible choice for a HOF nomination.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Guap is trolling us. No rational person would genuinely think this is a good choice for a Hall of Fame dominated by people who are not familiar with Magical Girl films/series, let alone this particular series. It's not a story, it's the middle of a story.

Technically it fits the rules set forth in the opening post, but the reality is that keeping it in the HOF is likely to do more harm than good and result in drop-outs, resentment, and lack of participation. It's up to you whether you want to give him a third chance, but I really think this thing needs to be given the boot.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I've watched the first 50 min now too, and going in blind I think it's somewhat hard to grasp the concept. Not the story as such, it seems pretty basic, but lacking backstory for the characters means zero investment in them. We get no history or backdrop on the world other than flashbacks that need explaining themselves. Bottom line, you can watch it and follow the narrative, but you'll constantly wonder who everyone is and wether or not they're new characters or if they've been introduced before.

It may "fit the rules" if we go all technical, but in terms of the spirit and idea of an HoF I think Guap is delibrately pushing the rules and ethics of a HoF to a point of make or break...

There is no sane reason to nominate what he does to be honest, other than he's trolling and wants to annoy us and push us a certain way. I think it's immature, uncalled for and a sabotage of something great and something all enjoy that is now being ruined.

Despite of fitting the rules, I wouldn't nominate a 3 hour student film of paint that dries, simply because, hey, I doubt anyone would like or benefit for sitting through that one nor would the actual HoF itself benefit from it either. But I never even consider such a stupid choice because why should I? Why should anyone? That was pretty obvious to me until I began to see some of Guap's nominations for these HoFs....

I tried watching [The Last Unicorn] and turned it off. I guess I'll have to try again.
When I watched it the other day, there's a tonally awkward scene at the beginning with a butterfly that nearly made me turn it off. Thankfully the butterfly never returns. You might've turned it off for a different reason, but I figure I should point this out just in case anyone else finds him as abrasive as I did.

Anyway, what is everyone planning on watching first? Secret of Nimh rewatch and maybe The Last Unicorn after it for me tomorrow.
I'm probably going to rewatch Secret of Nimh first as well.

It's gone then. Thanks
So is Guap going to have another chance to nominate a film, or is he out permanently?

Sorry Guap, but this is a plain no for me as well. I don't mind watching the prequel previously, actually that is what I'm going to do with Madagascar 2 because of completism even if it doesn't seem strictly necessary. But I have the series in my plan to watch list and by no means I intend to make a retelling, or parallel (anyway, you need to know the source) of a story that was conceived for a serialized format my first impression. Genocyber was more reasonable than this.

I haven't heard of the other movies.
Night on the Galactic Railroad is an adaptation of a Japanese novel by Kenji Miyazawa, it is an eerie and surreal fantasy that advances slowly, with heavily introspective tones and themes delivered through metaphoric imagery. I don't expect it to be enjoyed by everybody here, but I hope at least some to be into it.

Right, I looked through the list again. I own four of the movies including my own (Secret of NIMH, Treasure Planet, Wall-E, Madagascar 2) and I ran out to the library; of the remaining six (seven if Guap gets in a nom) they had two. The wierd thing was, they had the two I least expected them to have: Cagliostro and Bashir. Didn't have them in, but they put me on a waiting list. Found the last unicorn in a local Sci-fi/fantasy book store. That makes seven, I guess.

Oh, bonus! I found Kurosawa's High and Low while looking through the library's rental movies. Haven't been able to find it anywhere, doesn't seem to be selling locally. So, yay for libraries!

Found the last unicorn in a local Sci-fi/fantasy book store.
The Last Unicorn is an adaptation of a book of the same name, so it's appropriate that you found it in a book store haha.

The Last Unicorn is an adaptation of a book of the same name, so it's appropriate that you found it in a book store haha.
It's more or less a one-stop-shop for all things geeky. Boardgames, books, movies, tabletop RPGs, comics, clothes, figurines. Pretty much anything, short of actual video games for some reason. They have videogame merch of all sizes and formes, but not the games.

Sorry Guap, but this is a plain no for me as well. I don't mind watching the prequel previously, actually that is what I'm going to do with Madagascar 2 because of completism even if it doesn't seem strictly necessary. But I have the series in my plan to watch list and by no means I intend to make a retelling, or parallel (anyway, you need to know the source) of a story that was conceived for a serialized format my first impression. Genocyber was more reasonable than this.
So you will never watch the movie if you plan to read the book?

I don't think there is anything unreasonable about nominating an adaptation of a story first written for another venue.

Well, anyway I will change my nomination for the 2nd time then.

Night on the Galactic Railroad is an adaptation of a Japanese novel by Kenji Miyazawa, it is an eerie and surreal fantasy that advances slowly, with heavily introspective tones and themes delivered through metaphoric imagery. I don't expect it to be enjoyed by everybody here, but I hope at least some to be into it.
I am sorry but I can't watch the because I plan to read the book.

Raul you are extremely prejudiced. I actually listed Nanoha film 2nd among my favorite top 50 animated films of all time. Anyway, I send a nomination for another film from the 1980's them. Let's see if you "approve" this one. I think that you are abusing of your dictatorial powers here.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable about nominating an adaptation of a story first written for another venue.

Well, anyway I will change my nomination for the 2nd time then.
Awww, you have it tough, huh Guap? I mean, it's almost like, you delibrately put all that on yourself! How can anybody be so unlucky?

I am sorry but I can't watch the because I plan to read the book.
Coming comedian here, guys.

It may "fit the rules" if we go all technical, but in terms of the spirit and idea of an HoF I think Guap is delibrately pushing the rules and ethics of a HoF to a point of make or break...
Not remotely. I nominated both Genocyber and Nanoha becausee they are among my favorites.

You should understand that different people have different interests. And as a result someone might be interested in different kinds of narratives than you are.

There is no sane reason to nominate what he does to be honest, other than he's trolling and wants to annoy us and push us a certain way. I think it's immature, uncalled for and a sabotage of something great and something all enjoy that is now being ruined.
You didn't enjoy Bashu? You didn't watch the nominations I made for this HoF and you are ignorant about their relative popularity or artistic merits.

Its immature of you to get to conclusions based on your ignorance and provincial cultural background. The same applies for Raul and Vicky. Don't want to watch my nomination then don't participate in the HoF.

I am also not very interested in some nominations here (like yours) because I dislike Disney's children's animation but I will watch then and try to enjoy for what they are. I prefer animation with a bit more of an artistist edge: expression that breaks the implicit cultural rules in some way. So I find the conservative style of Disney to be dull while Genocyber with its extreme aggression is much more exciting and powerful experience. Genocyber is indeed one of my favorite animations and because of it I put the director into my top 20 animation directors list.

Nanoha I find it very nice to watch because I like the art style, the vibrant colors and the very dense and fast plotting of the movie. I have watched all 4 Nanoha TV shows and the 2 movies and I regard the Nanoha movie A's the best

Why should anyone? That was pretty obvious to me until I began to see some of Guap's nominations for these HoFs....
I was very careful about my nominations. I always did them thinking about how interesting they are in their particular way. I notice thst my tastes might not agree with the average American, but the fact is that I am not American not even a Western person so my whole cultural background and notions of what's acceptable or not are completely different.

I don't see the problem with violence or sex in animstion nor do I see any problem with nominating a genre animation like Nanoha, people can nominate Western or Gangsters films here like The Godfather or the Searchers but I can't nominate Magical Girl movie? I see, American genres are ok. Japanese genres are not. You know what's that? Xenophobia.

Anyway. I would say that I am not particularly looking forward to your nomination but I never felt that I should post: "omg, he is nominating a kiddie fodder Disney crap there, that's immature and disrespectful to the other members of the HoF".