What are you doing at this very moment?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's getting near the time when I have to order the new Tattymobile and because we are in TOUGH. ECONOMIC. TIMES. I'm downsizing. Kinda.

I've narrowed it down to these:

The Alfa Romeo Mito Veloce

The Ford Fiesta Zetec S

The Citroen DS3

The Mini Cooper

Thoughts, anyone? I'm torn between the first two - The Ford's a little roller skate and the Alfa is, well, an Alfa.

I should probably make a separate thread for this. Did it last time and it actually sorta helped make my mind up. A bit.

Alfa Pros: It's an Alfa and I've not owned one since an Alfasud years and years ago. It's damn pretty.

EDIT - Now that I remember, I had a GTV briefly 8 or 9 years ago. Beautiful car but built from wet toilet paper.

Alfa Cons: Nearest dealership is 40 miles away and, because it's an Alfa, I'm not wholly confident my visits will be restricted to just routine services. I know these are TOUGH. ECONOMIC. TIMES. but it's only a 1.4.

Ford Pros: It's apparently terrific fun to drive - I took the old model Zetec S to the south of France on a family holiday and didn't want to get out of it. The dealership is just down the road.

Ford Cons: It looks a bit Boy Racer-y.

Citroen Pros: It looks great. Dealership is a mile away. It's a turbo diesel which will help in these TOUGH. ECONOMIC. TIMES.

Citroen Cons: It's a diesel. The last Citroen I had (a C4, the car before the present one) had something like 5 safety recalls in 3 years of ownership.

Mini Pros: I took a Cooper round Donington race track when they were launched and don't think I've ever driven a better front wheel drive car.

Mini Cons: It's right at the top end of my budget and Mini are notoriously tight with standard features - equipping it to the standard of the other three might push me over, I'll need to research that one. Mrs T and my mum both own them so it wouldn't be a popular choice ("You've got a new one? Oh." ) around the dinner table. At the risk of sounding like Andy Gray (and thus getting sacked from MoFo), they're a bit girly.

Damn. This is harder than last time.

True.

I've just had a conversation which went something like this: A Mini? Nah, I don't think you would want to drive one every day.

Me: You drive yours every day.

Her: Yeah, but I'm thinking of changing mine. That Citroen is a nice car.

The evil imp in me says go for one but I've been pricing it up and to get one with the same spec as the other three would cost me too much.

Nothing you don't already know, but if times are tough, stay away from the Alfa Romeo. Citeron parts are quite expensive too, aren't they? Gotta be the Ford.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I should probably make a separate thread for this. Did it last time and it actually sorta helped make my mind up. A bit.

Alfa Pros: It's an Alfa and I've not owned one since an Alfasud years and years ago. It's damn pretty.

EDIT - Now that I remember, I had a GTV briefly 8 or 9 years ago. Beautiful car but built from wet toilet paper.

Alfa Cons: Nearest dealership is 40 miles away and, because it's an Alfa, I'm not wholly confident my visits will be restricted to just routine services. I know these are TOUGH. ECONOMIC. TIMES. but it's only a 1.4.

Ford Pros: It's apparently terrific fun to drive - I took the old model Zetec S to the south of France on a family holiday and didn't want to get out of it. The dealership is just down the road.

Ford Cons: It looks a bit Boy Racer-y.

Citroen Pros: It looks great. Dealership is a mile away. It's a turbo diesel which will help in these TOUGH. ECONOMIC. TIMES.

Citroen Cons: It's a diesel. The last Citroen I had (a C4, the car before the present one) had something like 5 safety recalls in 3 years of ownership.

Mini Pros: I took a Cooper round Donington race track when they were launched and don't think I've ever driven a better front wheel drive car.

Mini Cons: It's right at the top end of my budget and Mini are notoriously tight with standard features - equipping it to the standard of the other three might push me over, I'll need to research that one. Mrs T and my mum both own them so it wouldn't be a popular choice ("You've got a new one? Oh." ) around the dinner table. At the risk of sounding like Andy Gray (and thus getting sacked from MoFo), they're a bit girly.

Damn. This is harder than last time.
I don't know about the other cars, but I have a 2005 Ford Focus that has over a 130,000 miles with no problems.

Nothing you don't already know, but if times are tough, stay away from the Alfa Romeo. Citeron parts are quite expensive too, aren't they? Gotta be the Ford.
It's contract hire with the service option (and insurance) so after my monthly payment all I need to shell out for is fuel. Depending on the initial deposit, all the monthly figures for the 4 cars work out the same. The Fiesta is £100 deposit, for example. I had a Citroen C4 Coupe on the same deal from 05-08 (I'm locked into 3 year agreements so the car goes back whether I like it or not) and I loved it to drive.

5 safety recalls was the downside.

Loner: I've had a Focus for the last 3 years. As a car it's great but I chose the wrong model (should have spent a bit more on the deposit and had something further up the range) and I don't need a car that size any more.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Ford and as an ex-employee I'm sure Henry would be proud.

Were he not dead.

Everytime I see peeps talking about cars I think i'm seeing algebra or something. The motor language and terms or whatever are completely lost on me

I'm a bit pe'd off at my dumbass friend for ruining my chances with a decent lass. He just ruined it all. If a friend is working out there you do NOT come and interrupt him for whatever reason unless he invites you. What a prick. He is socially awkward and seems a bit drunk because of his short sightedness even though he is sober. The fact that he doesn't even wear glasses (because he thinks it'll make him look like a geek) doesn't help. But yeah, he sort of spoiled my night as it was going fairly well with this one bird and another one. Then he lost his wallet which he cleverly left in his jacket while he wondered off to butt into my convo, and tried to blame ME all because I suggested the which pub to go to!!

Anyways, I won't be going out with him again. To think I paid for all the drinks too tonight. Prick, I should spark him out.

Anyways, i'm off to be guys. Have a good one

I think the Search function is banjaxed - can't find the What Was The Last Watch You Bought And Why thread.

These are apparently all the rage again so I got one (for the price of a packet of cigarettes). I'm sure I had one when I was a young lad...

A design classic or Casio shamelessly tugging on the heartstrings of 30-somethings with no sense? It could well be the former because apparently it's been in continuous production since the 80s.

I am searching the internet for interesting places to chat with interesting people....... searching.....

I'm transfixed to the transfer ticker because I can't believe what I'm seeing. Surely it's all going to come to nothing, please. £35m for Andy Carroll!?!? As Newcastle have rejected a SECOND offer, that can't be the amount.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I owned this watch! Used to get them on Canal St. in Chinatown. Those Casios are awesome.

I think the Search function is banjaxed - can't find the What Was The Last Watch You Bought And Why thread.

These are apparently all the rage again so I got one (for the price of a packet of cigarettes). I'm sure I had one when I was a young lad...

A design classic or Casio shamelessly tugging on the heartstrings of 30-somethings with no sense? It could well be the former because apparently it's been in continuous production since the 80s.

Excellent! Now that I think on it I had the chrome-plated version so I'm arriving a bit late to the party.

I don't wear watches that often any more which probably means I'm less uptight. Or something.

And no, I don't just look at the time on my mobile phone - that gets turned on less often than a eunuch in the DIY section of a book shop.

Car update!

I mad a slight miscalculation as to when I'm supposed to order the new one. Beginning of April and not the beginning of March.

Oh well. Forewarned is forearmed and all that, and with four arms I can hold the steering wheel, change gear, smoke and drink at the same time. Result!