Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Yes, it does.

But I do love that this is coming from the same person who said this to me after finding out that I watched PMMM: Eternal without watching the first one.
I never claimed that the 2nd PMMM movie was a self contained narrative I never nominated it individually for a HoF either. You are being an hypocrite now because you should know that.

I never claimed that the 2nd PMMM movie was a self contained narrative I never nominated it individually for a HoF either. You are being an hypocrite now because you should know that.
At no point did I say you nominated it individually for a HoF. I simply said that you gave me crap for watching a sequel without watching the first film in advance. Nanoha is not a self contained narrative, it requires prior knowledge of characters and situations, whereas I had no trouble following PMMM 2.

In any case this argument is pointless and I'm done talking to you about it. The decision has been made, Nanoha is out of the HOF. End of story.

I will talk now about the last movie Raul judged, in his prejudice, to not be adequate for the HoF:

Dirty Pair: Project Eden (1986)

I never watched the TV show or read the novels in which the franchise was based. The only Dirty Pair thing I know is this film, which is wonderful. The first time I watched it, I was 13-14 and I watched it on TV back in the day (yep, differently from Redneckland some countries have other animation in their TVs than Simpsons and Disney), and it was a very memorable experience back in the day and now I have re-watched it after so many years. Its easy to see why some people regard it as a pinnacle of 80's animation.

The movie's plot is pretty simple but the movie's main strength is in it's direction, animation, music and art. The movie is a full blown exposition of the greatness of 1980's Japanese popular culture with it's infusion of Western synth pop music and very sarcastic atmosphere. The movie never takes itself seriously and it is self conscious of it's own absurdity (I liked the Evil Mad Scientist character the most). Like the best of Japanese comedy, it's sarcastic but it doesn't show itself to be a comedy in a straight fashion (like Hausu).

Guaporense, this thread is for discussion of Animation HOF nominees only. Please take any discussion of other films elsewhere.

Same with your personal attacks.

The Secret of Nimh

First of all GBG DISCLAIMER haha: there's a big tarantula in one scene. I don't know what you think of animated spiders and it's on screen for ten seconds at most but i thought i should warn you. It's in the scene where Mrs.Brisby goes to see the Great Owl. I swear i paused the film and wrote this down so i'd remember to tell you

Hadn't watched this since i was around eight years old so i didn't really know what to expect. As a kid i actually watched all of his other films more except Rock-A-Doodle and The Pebble and the Penguin which i've never seen. I honestly watched Fievel Goes West more than this which is a sequel to a Bluth film that doesn't even involve Bluth. Not sure what was up with that because i thought this was very good and i doubt most of those others would hold up.

Bluth deserves the praise he gets for this, making a(n American) childrens film this dark was a brave choice. Up to that point Disneys darkest film had probably been Pinocchio 40 years earlier which was initially a massive flop (partially to do with the war to be fair), and even though they were faltering during the 70s it still didn't look like they had any intentions of diverting from their tried and tested formula until this came along. Disney clearly took notice, i mean i don't think it is a coincidence that their next film was The Black Cauldron which is still probably their darkest film. Even though that was a flop i still think this played a massive part in convincing Disney to put effort back into their work, try new things, etc. So Don Bluth gets my respect for this.

The colours in this are excellent. I really don't think the actual drawings or movement are anything that special, the colour choices are inspired though. I was watching this on a big screen and at first i thought the orange-yellow sky was really overwhelming but once my eyes settled i loved how the black bird looked against that background. That's definitely what worked best for me visually. Other things like the mice standing inside the grass and light shining through the spaces inbetween the blades. I guess with the knowledge that they were going up against the mighty Disney, Bluth and his Animators put alot of effort into this, there's some fine attention to detail. I think my favourite place in the film was the cave she met Nicodimus; it wa so varied. Starting off with the blacks, purples, greens, when the rat attacks her than Nicodimus takes her through the crystally, yellow, light blue, etc, room where she meets Justin. It's pretty embarrasing when you think less than a decade earlier Disney put out the horrible Robin Hood with its reused backgrounds that felt as if it only used four different colours of the exact same shade.

The story is good it came back to me what happened pretty early on and i enjoyed seeing it again. There's alot of excitement which is why i don't understand why i apparently didn't like this enough to watch this as a kid. My only real problem with this is kinda/sorta a major one, but it is only a matter of taste thing. I don't like Mrs Brisbys voice, i can't explain it but it annoys me particularly when she is shouting/crying/sad, just emoting in general. Her default voice is fine but the rest gets on my nerves. Another minor problem is one that i personally think is part of most Bluth films; i don't think he is great with humour. I think this gets evened out with the top notch drama/emotion/excitement though so it isn't that big of a deal. I've noticed most Bluth films seem to have a slight miserable tone about them which for some reason works. Not even saying this should have attempted more humour, just that most of it that it did try didn't really work for me.

So yeah, very good nom Clazor. It's a great adventure film with genuine emotion and solid animation; particularly its use of colour. Glad you nominated it as i really had to see this again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Secret of Nimh

First of all GBG DISCLAIMER haha: there's a big tarantula in one scene. I don't know what you think of animated spiders and it's on screen for ten seconds at most but i thought i should warn you. It's in the scene where Mrs.Brisby goes to see the Great Owl. I swear i paused the film and wrote this down so i'd remember to tell you

Thanks for the warning. I've heard a lot of good things about The Secret of Nimh over the years, so it's been on my watchlist for as long as I can remember. I got through the spider in Charlotte's Web, so hopefully I'll be able to get through this one too.

Thanks for the warning. I've heard a lot of good things about The Secret of Nimh over the years, so it's been on my watchlist for as long as I can remember. I got through the spider in Charlotte's Web, so hopefully I'll be able to get through this one too.
This is an evil spider though haha.

I've seen NIMH countless times and I so don't remember a spider.
It's in it for about 5-10 seconds. When Mrs Brisby goes into the cave to find The Great Owl, a tarantula pops out and is about to attack her before The Great Owl steps on it.

I was going to put that in spoilers but that absolutely doesn't ruin anything.

Oh, yeah. Now it's familiar.

I was very afraid of spiders as a child, but I don't think I was ever bothered by that scene. Then again, as a kid I also used to have nightmares about rats invading my bedroom... there have been actual rats living in my room for the last 16.5 years.

The Last Unicorn

It's really too bad this HOF didn't happen 15 years ago as i know for a fact i would have loved this as a kid. I only thought it was okay i will say it was interesting seeing an american animated film from this time with its own distinct style.

The animation was interesting. Not excellent or anything IMO, it was a bit simple and during the daytime scenes it had a bright blue sky that made it a bit of an eyesore i thought, but i did really like the nightime scenes and i loved the look of a scene that had a darkish pink sky near the start which only lasted a minute or so. I liked the drawings. Some of the regular humans not involved with the story were generic and for the most part the drawings were simple but it worked, i particularly like the look of the villains; the witch, ogres, monsters, etc, and certain backgrounds used. Another thing i wasn't a fan of animation wise was the Unicorn talking, it was how wide its mouth opened i think whatever it was it didn't look like the Unicorn was saying anything and with Mia's weird voice acting it gave off the impression that everything the Unicorn was saying was in its head. Basically to me there wasn't much difference between the scenes where she was talking in her head to the scenes when she was talking to other characters. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same on that or if it was just me, it very well could be. It wasn't a major problem anyway since she becomes a woman at one point.

Pretty good story. Something that would've fascinated me when i was younger i'm sure. It took me aback how dark it was, from the images i saw i knew it was going to be darker than your average american childrens film. It was called The Last Unicorn though so i was expecting a standard fairy tale story except with scarier villains who have more sinister intentions than in most Disney films and the like of the time. To my surprise though it was alot more than that, there really wasn't many upbeat moments not that it was a misery fest or anything but it avoided drifting into silliness or whatever for the most part, something i approve of. I mean even the happy ending has her not ending up with the prince: she is the only unicorn to know regret. Jesus haha.

My biggest problems were just about all of the songs. Sorry, but they weren't for me. Not much to say there i just didn't enjoy them and was hoping for them to finish while they were on. To be fair the actual The Last Unicorn song was pretty good, that was the only one i liked though. The voice acting was also hit and miss. I didn't like Mia Farrow as the Unicorn but at least i could understand what she was trying; Jeff Bridges as the Prince was baffling. Jeff Bridges as well? The hell, he has one of my favourite voices from any actor but he was pretty bad here. Some voices worked though, Alan Arkin did at first he was a bit jarring but i took to liking him, and Christopher Lee was fantastic as the King.

Anyway, i'm not gonna lie i didn't love this or even like it all that much but it was interesting and i'm glad you nominated it Cosmic. If i had seen this when i was 8 or 9 i think i would've loved it; dark childrens films like The Black Cauldron were big favourites of mine as a child and i think this would've been the same.

Tokyo Godfathers next for me i think.