ash_is_the_gal's Top 100, 2nd edition

→ in
Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i've spent far too much time working on this today.

it has been nearly 3 years since i did my first Top 100 list. like i was saying in the Shoutbox earlier, this isn't an exact science, but for the time being, it's close enough.

Time Bandits (1981)

"Lads! Here's to stinking rich!"

My Left Foot (1989)

"If you work with me, I'll help you say f*ck off more clearly."

Airplane! (1980)

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Gidget (1959)

"Honest to goodness it's the absolute ultimate!"

Freaks (1932)

"They're going to make you one of them, my peacock!"

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

"When the dead walk, señores, we must stop the killing... or lose the war."

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)

"Hold fast to the human inside of you, and you'll survive."

The Blue Bird (1940)

"Nobody here is kind. Not really kind. Not like Mommy and Daddy. I wouldn't trade them for all the Mr. and Mrs. Luxuries in the world!"

Brazil (1985)

"This is your receipt for your husband... and this is your receipt for your receipt."

Cruel Intentions (1999)

"You spend all your time preaching about waiting for love. Well here it is. Right in front of you, and you're going to turn your back on it. So I guess we're just f*ucked. I'll move on. But you are going to have to live the rest of your life knowing that you've turned your back on love. And that makes you a hypocrite. Have a nice life."

Is white trash beautiful
Great list so far,I cannot wait to see the rest of it

Stand By Me (1986)

"I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being. It happened in the summer of 1959-a long time ago, but only if you measure in terms of years. I was living in a small town in Oregon called Castle Rock. There were only twelve hundred and eighty-one people. But to me, it was the whole world."

The Letter (1940)

"With all my heart, I still love the man I killed."

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

"I like you to be exactly the way that you are, because in all my experience, I have never known anyone like you."

Y Tu Mamá También (2001)

"Truth is cool but unattainable... the truth is totally amazing, but you can't ever reach it."

The Lover (1992)

"Very early in my life, it was too late. At eighteen it was already too late. At eighteen I aged. This aging was brutal. This aging, I saw it spread over my features, one by one. Instead of being frightened by it, I saw this aging of my face with the same sort of interest I might have taken for example in the reading of a book. That new face I kept it. It's kept the same contours, but its matter is destroyed. I have a destroyed face."

Mulholland Dr. (2001)

"Hey, pretty girl, time to wake up."

Finding Nemo (2003)

"I can't read human."

Newsies (1992)

"Your honor, I object."
"On what grounds?"
"On the grounds of Brooklyn."

Thelma and Louise (1991)

"I'm in deep sh*t; Deep Sh*t, Arkansas."

The Motorcycle Diaries (2004)

"You gotta fight for every breath and tell death to go to hell."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
So ash, without spoiling it for those who haven't watched it, what did you think of the ending of The Letter? Was it perfect or would you have preferred something else?

I also think that Newsies is criticized far too often, but what about it makes it one of your faves?

Oh, and since I didn't comment the first time, what's your fave part of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?

This is the most eclectic list of all time.

Welcome to the human race...
In this context, "eclectic" means that there's a very unusual mixture of films on the list so far - whether or not that's bad is up to you. I don't think this is the most eclectic favourites list I've seen on this site - that honour should probably go to Linespalsy.

So ash, without spoiling it for those who haven't watched it, what did you think of the ending of The Letter? Was it perfect or would you have preferred something else?
the first time i watched this movie, i didn't like the ending at all. but then i watched it again and decided i had completely misjudged the entire movie.

WARNING: "the ending" spoilers below
afterall, the entire film build up (for example, Davis's constant nervous knitting "web of lies) is a fantastic climax; the entire outside scene leading up to the stabbing was brilliantly done.

I also think that Newsies is criticized far too often, but what about it makes it one of your faves?
um... probably the fact that Mom took me to the theater to see it on opening day when i was only 8-years-old?

no, honestly, i think Newsies is one of those movies that made a wonderful transition from my childhood to adulthood; it's a pretty fabulous musical for a non-animated Disney film based really terribly on historical events. i still love just as much - if not more - all the dancing and singing numbers.

not that long ago i found out that the music from this film was written by the same crew who did High School Musical, another popular Disney musical. i can't vouch for that one, though.

plus, Newsies is definitely one of my favorite movies to quote. it's just filled with amazingly bad dialogue.

Oh, and since I didn't comment the first time, what's your fave part of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?
it's been a few years since i've seen it now. it's not my favorite scene but off the top of my head, the most vivid is the one where Bauby has the stroke in his car. it was so terrifying.

i also really liked the opening scene, too, though. it starts out straight from the point of view of a person who is basically being held prisoner in his own body. we see his frustration at not being able to communicate with those around him, and not only do we understand his frustration, but we also immediately see his charm and wit through the voice-over monologue that's going on inside of his head.

The Big Lebowski (1998)

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

"Is that what love is? Using people? And maybe that's what hate is - not being able to use people."

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

"Shut your eyes, Marion. Don't look at it, no matter what happens!"

A Christmas Story (1983)

"My kid brother looked like a tick about to pop."

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

"Do not seek the treasure!"

The Reader (2008)

"It doesn't matter what I feel. It doesn't matter what I think. The dead are still dead."

Caged (1950)

"For that forty bucks I heisted I sure got myself an education."

Don't Look Now (1973)

"This one who's blind. She's the one who can see."

Let the Right One In (2008)

"How old are you?"
"Twelve... more or less."

Mildred Pierce (1945)

"There's something about the sound of my own voice that fascinates me."

Persepolis (2007)

"Bullsh*t! Life isn't absurd! Some people give their lives for freedom. You think my uncle died for fun? Egotistical prick."

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

"I'll tell you one thing, Fred darling... I'd marry you for your minute in a minute. Would you marry me for my money?"

Some Like It Hot (1959)

"I don't care how rich he is, as long as he has a yacht, his own private railroad car, and his own toothpaste."

Heavenly Creatures (1994)

"All the best people have bad chests and bone diseases. It's all frightfully romantic."

Jaws (1975)

"This shark, swallow you whole."

Boogie Nights (1997)

"I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right."

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

"Beware the moon, lads."

Pans Labyrinth (2006)

"You're getting older, and you'll see that life isn't like your fairy tales. The world is a cruel place. And you'll learn that, even if it hurts."

Chinatown (1974)

"What happened to your nose, Gittes? Somebody slammed a bedroom window on it?"
"Nope. Your wife got excited. She crossed her legs a little too quick. You understand what I mean, pal?"

Adaptation (2002)

"The script I'm starting, it's about flowers. Nobody's ever done a movie about flowers before. So, so there are no guidelines..."

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I LOVE Boogie Nights and The Big Lebowski.

I like Werewolf in London and obviously Adaptation as it's my #1.

Tideland (2005)

"Squirrel butts don't glow."

The Shining (1980)

"I feel you will have to deal with this matter in the harshest way possible, Mr. Torrance."

Citizen Kane (1941)

"I am not a gentleman. I don't even know what a gentleman is."

Talk to Her (2002)

"Love is the saddest thing when it goes away, as a song by Jobim goes."

Memento (2000)

"I always thought the joy of reading a book is not knowing what happens next."

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

"This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed."

Mary Poppins (1964)

"Mary poppins - practically perfect in every way."

Gone With the Wind (1939)

"With enough courage, you can do without a reputation."

The Petrified Forest (1936)

"The trouble with me, Gabrielle, is I, I belong to a vanishing race. I'm one of the intellectuals."
"That means that you've got brains!"
"Hmmm. Yes. Brains without purpose. Noise without sound, shape without substance."

Network (1976)

"I would like at this moment to announce that I will be retiring from this program in two weeks' time because of poor ratings. Since this show is the only thing I had going for me in my life, I've decided to kill myself. I'm going to blow my brains out right on this program a week from today. So tune in next Tuesday. That should give the public relations people a week to promote the show. You ought to get a hell of a rating out of that. 50 share, easy."

District 9 (2009)

"He was an honest man, and he didn't deserve any of what happened to him."

All About Eve (1950)

"Funny business, a woman's career - the things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them again when you get back to being a woman. That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted. And in the last analysis, nothing's any good unless you can look up just before dinner or turn around in bed, and there he is. Without that, you're not a woman. You're something with a French provincial office or a book full of clippings, but you're not a woman. Slow curtain, the end."

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (2001)

"I like to look at things no one else catches. I hate the ways drivers never look at the road in old American movies."

The Fisher King (1991)

"You ever read any Nietzsche? Nietzsche says there's two kinds of people in the world: people who are destined for greatness like Walt Disney... and Hitler. Then there's the rest of us, he called us "the bungled and the botched." We get teased. We sometimes get close to greatness, but we never get there. We're the expendable masses. We get pushed in front of trains, take poison aspirin... get gunned down in Dairy Queens."

Magnolia (1999)

"The book says, 'We might be through the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

"What?"
"Even if you were my brother I'd still want to f*ck you."

Of Human Bondage (1934)

"You cad, you dirty swine! I never cared for you, not once! I was always makin' a fool of ya! Ya bored me stiff; I hated ya! It made me SICK when I had to let ya kiss me. I only did it because ya begged me, ya hounded me and drove me crazy! And after ya kissed me, I always used to wipe my mouth! WIPE MY MOUTH!"

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

"Oh please, Professor, why can't we go with you and see all the Crowned Heads of Europe?"
"Do you know any? Oh, you mean the... thing. Yes."

Harold and Maude (1971)

"I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple."

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

"A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing."