ash_is_the_gal's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Yeah no rules, its your list. Do it however you like. I love Punch Drunk Love. Sandlers best movie.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i've decided i'm going to keep going as i have been, and if anyone wants to know anything about any particular movie, i will continue to answer them as best i can.

La Vita è bella
Life Is Beautiful (1997)

"You can't imagine how much I feel like making love to you. But I'll never tell anyone, especially not you. They'd have to torture me to make me say it."

Broken Flowers (2005)

"I'm like your mistress, except you're not even married."

Y tu mamá también (2001)

"Life is like the surf, so give yourself away like the sea."

This Is England (2006)

"Oh, and you're a mong."

Memento (2000)

"Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts."

The Princess Bride (1987)

"This is true love - you think this happens every day?"

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

"You are absolutely, unconditionally, positively the most stubborn person I've ever known in my life."

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

"Put me in your pocket, Mike."

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

"Hi, hi, hi, Mr. Deltoid!"

Cruel Intentions (1999)

"E-mail is for geeks and pedophiles."

It seems that I was right about your list being eclectic. I love that you have Cruel Intentions in it. I don't know if it'd make mine (though Dangerous Liaisons certainly would) but, if it didn't, then I think it'd be close.

Hilary and Jackie (1998)

"If you think being an ordinary person is any easier than being an extraordinary one, you're wrong."

Janghwa, Hongryeon
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

"As much as you hate it, I'm the only one in this world you can call mother, got it?"

Mean Creek (2004)

"We'll never be forgiven for what we did."

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)

That's the spirit bird. He will always look after you.

Being John Malkovich (1999)

"Meet you in Malkovich in one hour."

Haha, that last quote is the best line of dialogue that's ever been written.

I like Adaptation. more than Malkovich, though. A lot of people say Adaptation. is up it's own arse, and it is, but it's one of the most interesting films I've ever seen.

Also; Tale of two Sisters is amazing. In my top 20.

I am half agony, half hope.
I like your list, Ash. I've not seen any of this last group, but have heard good things about all of them.

Johann von Goethe

As Good As It Gets (1997)

"When you first entered the restaurant, I thought you were handsome... and then, of course, you spoke."

Mulholland Drive (2001)

"I want to, with you... I'm in love with you."

American Psycho (2000)

"Would you like to hear today's specials?"
"Not if you want to keep your spleen."

Magnolia (1999)

"When the sunshine don't work, the good Lord bring the rain in."

The Big Lebowski (1998)

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish."

Don't Look Now (1973)

"if the world is round, why is a frozen lake flat?"

Tonari no Totoro
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

"I'm coming too!"

The Birds (1963)

"Why are they doing this? Why are they doing this? They said when you got here the whole thing started. Who are you? What are you? Where did you come from! I think you're evil. EVIL!"

I Want To Live! (1958)

"When you hear the pellets drop, count to ten. Take a deep breath. It's easier that way."
"How do you know?"

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

"Too much ****ing perspective."

There's more than a few films on this page that I haven't seen ash but, to be honest, I don't really want to see them either. Some films here that really annoy me but, also, three of my favourite comedies on this page too (American Psycho, the Big Lewbowski and, the funniest film of all time, This Is Spinal Tap.)

It's all in keeping with your eclectic mix ash.

Great quote BTW. I started to the moment I read it.

You might want to change the Don't Look Now picture, hon.

"None more black."

Volver (2006)

"It smells of... farts, my mother's farts."

The Magdalene Sisters (2002)

"Open your eyes, girl. Open them. I want you to see what you really are. Now that vanity has gone and your arrogance has been defeated, you are free to choose between right and wrong, good and evil. Look into the bottom of your soul and find what is pure and offer it to the Lord."

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

"Snips and snails and puppy dog's tails."

Gone with the Wind (1939)

"How fickle is woman."

Finding Nemo (2003)

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim."

which ones don't you want to see? some of the movies i have here are definitely either hit or miss.
As you asked, I shall respond.

Tonari No Totoro (just because I don't like Anime. I've tried and tried, but I just can't do it)
Mean Creek (Because it does look like a mean, nasty film. Also, I don't like the 'look' of the film and that's something that I can never get past. It's why I've never seen Withnail & I)
Fried Green Tomatoes (I love chick flicks, but this just looks so boring. Sorry.)
Broken Flowers (It looked like that years "Must See American Indie Film", there's usually one a year. Others I've given that title include Rushmore, Lost In Translation, Little Miss Sunshine, Napoleon Dynamite, The Royal Tenenbaums. The only one I saw and enjoyed was Sideways)
Life is beautiful (The Italian bloke just annoys me. Also, it looked like there was a lot of 'physical comedy' in it and that's not my thing)

On the plus side, there's only 6 films so far that I really don't like.

As you asked, I shall respond.

Tonari No Totoro (just because I don't like Anime. I've tried and tried, but I just can't do it)
Mean Creek (Because it does look like a mean, nasty film. Also, I don't like the 'look' of the film and that's something that I can never get past. It's why I've never seen Withnail & I)
Fried Green Tomatoes (I love chick flicks, but this just looks so boring. Sorry.)
Broken Flowers (It looked like that years "Must See American Indie Film", there's usually one a year. Others I've given that title include Rushmore, Lost In Translation, Little Miss Sunshine, Napoleon Dynamite, The Royal Tenenbaums. The only one I saw and enjoyed was Sideways)
Life is beautiful (The Italian bloke just annoys me. Also, it looked like there was a lot of 'physical comedy' in it and that's not my thing)

On the plus side, there's only 6 films so far that I really don't like.
on My Neighbor Totoro: fair enough.

i have no idea what your taste in films are, but i find it really hard to believe that you'd find Fried Green Tomatoes boring. i can't think of a person that has actually seen the film that would think so. [anyone who responds and says they do will be smacked upside the head!]

i'm not sure what you mean by 'a mean, nasty film', but Mean Creek is definitely not feel-good, if that's what you mean. but its intense, and the acting is amazing. but if you don't like the 'look' then you may want to steer clear. its a bit raw.

i myself hadn't wanted to see Broken Flowers at first, but its actually quite a gem. also, because i'm curious, how many of the films you titled "Must See American Indie Film' did you actually see?

it sort of seems like most of what you weren't interested in seeing was your assumptions based loosely on something that has no real depth to it. i'm not trying to be insulting or anything, obviously i really love all of these movies so of course i'd stick up for them, but i always feel a bit of pity when people are quick to refuse to see movies for the reasons you listed above, [it looks nasty, "too indie looking"]. see, there are probably a lot of films i would have never bothered with if it hadn't been for my boyfriends recommendations. i just happen to respect his taste in film--and fawn all over his opinions, so now i'll basically see anything he tells me to. its probably why i love him so much. he's my other half.

and he's also inspired nearly 50% of this list. amazing!

also, because i'm curious, how many of the films you titled "Must See American Indie Film' did you actually see?

it sort of seems like most of what you weren't interested in seeing was your assumptions based loosely on something that has no real depth to it. i'm not trying to be insulting or anything...
OK, first part. I saw Napolean Dynamite, but only because I was at someone's house and they refused to turn it off. Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums I tried to watch a couple of times, but I didn't get very far. I've not seen any of Lost In Translation or Little Miss Sunshine. Lost In Translation I've just not seen. I've not avoided it, but it does fit into the "Must See American Indie Film" category and Little Miss Sunshine looked like it could be good, but it stars (and I use the word loosely) Greg Kinnear and Steve Carell, so I've not gone out of my way to see that either.

You're absolutely right about my assumptions being based on nothing with any depth. All I will say is that, sometimes, I take an instant like or dislike to something and I'm pretty good at knowing what I will and won't like. I have so many films that I haven't gotten around to watching yet (I probably have around 100 films on my shelf that I've yet to watch and that's not including boxsets, both tv and film) that I just don't bother with anything that I don't think I'm going to like.

Maybe if I did, I would but, experience has shown me that if I didn't like the look of something, when I've watched it I've usually been right.

Lastly, I'm not offended and don't worry about offending me. If people did that then no one would ever say anything. Not anything interesting anyway.

...Little Miss Sunshine looked like it could be good, but it stars (and I use the word loosely) Greg Kinnear and Steve Carell, so I've not gone out of my way to see that either.

Mate, I had the EXACT same thoughts going through my head before I watched Little Miss Sunshine. I don't like either Kinnear nor Carell...but you'd be surprised, they tone things done here and they are MUCH more funnier for it. I was never planning on seeing it but to my surprise it was fantastic indie filmmaking fare. Not only will you not be annoyed by Kinnear or Carell, but you'll actually care about their characters too . I don't wanna hype it up too much incase you're disappointed, but if there is any 'indie flick of the year' to choose from then it's that. You can't see you not liking it, I just can't.

Anyways, BRILLIANT list Ash!! Your list is VERY identical to mine, though I have some of your key films higher on my list. I wish I could give you 1000+ reps for just mentioning Memento and This Is England.

Well done, lass.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
OK, first part. I saw Napolean Dynamite, but only because I was at someone's house and they refused to turn it off. Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums I tried to watch a couple of times, but I didn't get very far. I've not seen any of Lost In Translation or Little Miss Sunshine. Lost In Translation I've just not seen. I've not avoided it, but it does fit into the "Must See American Indie Film" category
In a way, I know what you mean, often indie films get over-hyped by people who are just so proud of themselves for watching something that isn't a comic book sequel (these people keep Empire magazine in business... ). I'm guessing last years 'big American indie film' would be Juno. But just because they are all American indie films doesn't mean they have anything else in common. It's a bit like saying I saw a French film once and didn't like it so I won't be watching any more!

Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are both Wes Anderson, and you probably either like his style or you don't. Little Miss Sunshine is a little bit like The Royal Tenenbaums roadtrip so you might not like that. Apart from having Bill Murray in it, Lost In Translation is quite different; it has quite a distinctive look to it which I really like but do not know enough about your tastes to presume you would too, but I think it is worth your time.

And in defence of Napoleon Dynamite, I didn't like it at all the first time I saw it, but on being subjected to a second viewing, found myself both amused and quite charmed.

In a way, I know what you mean, often indie films get over-hyped by people who are just so proud of themselves for watching something that isn't a comic book sequel (these people keep Empire magazine in business... ). I'm guessing last years 'big American indie film' would be Juno. But just because they are all American indie films doesn't mean they have anything else in common. It's a bit like saying I saw a French film once and didn't like it so I won't be watching any more!
i still liked Juno, [though its not in my top 100 or anything ], it always kind of bugs me when people pick on it so. i think a lot of people pick on it so much because they are more annoyed by the fans rather than the movie itself.

Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are both Wes Anderson, and you probably either like his style or you don't.

that is definitely true. i'm not a huge fan of Wes, either. its one of the main ways me and my guy disagree--he loves Wes Anderson. i do like his stuff, but i'm not in love with it or anything. i think my main concern is most of his movies are very samey.

that said, i think all the films honeykid listed, i just like 'okay.' none of them are in my top 100 list [well, except Broken Flowers, obviously]. Napolean Dynamite.