Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd...

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
His lip was pale and his eye was odd.
And what if none of their souls were saved?
They went to their Maker impeccably shaved...

Coming this Christmas, a story that has always had Tim Burton written all over it will get his direction. Johnny Depp has been attached for what seems like a year, to star as the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. And finally, there is more on IMDb than those tiny bits of tid:

Johnny Depp ... Sweeney Todd
Helena Bonham Carter ... Mrs. Lovett
Alan Rickman ... Judge Turpin
Timothy Spall ... Beadle Bamford
Sacha Baron Cohen ... Signor Adolfo Pirelli
Jayne Wisener ... Johanna
Jamie Campbell Bower ... Anthony Hope
Laura Michelle Kelly ... Beggar Woman
Ed Sanders ... Tobias Ragg
Anthony Head ... Ballad Ghost

Thrilled to hear about HBC as Mrs L, and SBC as Pirelli. And hurray for more of Anthony Head (Giles, to you Buffy fans). Newcomer Jayne Wisener has a lot to contend with among a cast of seasoned pros, and it will be interesting to see how vibrant she can make that character, who is the canary in this dark, seedy coal mine of a story.

The music is by Sondheim, and he's apparently written additional material for this. I'm stoked about this, because that seems like the one potential hurdle for the Hollywood Blockbuster crowd: Sondheim
st
isn't the type to send you out whistling a happy tune. But nothing would be worse than someone else swooping in and adding a show-stopper, so it bodes well that ol' Steve is performing this duty personally.

Sweeney Todd is the story of a man just freed from long wrongful imprisonment, bent on vengeance against the Judge who had him jailed. Todd sets up a barber chair, providing more than a mere close shave to many clients, who end up on the wrong side (the in-side) of the meat pies made by Todd's downstairs neighbor, Mrs Lovett. Sondheim's clever lyrics add a lot more humor than you might expect in so dark a story. This cast certainly has the chops to pull it off. And Burton... there couldn't be a better choice to direct this one.

Can't wait!

Looking forward to a Tim Burton film, didn't think i'd see the day. Though that last pic, Depp looks very Sleep Hollow.

Admitedly i didn't know anything about Sweeney Todd till i opened the thread. Though saw in HMV Ray Winstone was in another version.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
His [Majesty's] what?
HMV is a retailer of DVDs and CDs, based in the U.K.

Ray Winstone starred as Sweeney Todd in a 2006 BBC production. Ben Kingsley starred in an HBO non-musical version directed by John Schlesinger. George Hearn starred in the 1982 Showtime production that used the Broadway cast. And there are versions of the story adapted into films waaaay before Sondheim, going back to the Silents.

So...yeah.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I will be seeing it. I have the Angela Lansbury musical version on DVD.

Check it out.

Been excited about this movie since I saw the Sweeney Todd scenes in Jersey Girl, seems like an interesting story

The Adventure Starts Here!
I have the Lansbury/Hearn version on DVD too. Somehow the stage play doesn't translate to screen, though. I originally saw this nearly twenty years ago in a local outdoor theater production (set up in the round under a huge tent), and was absolutely enthralled. Immediately went out and bought the soundtrack (on vinyl).

Sondheim's music makes this show what it is. I'm not sure what music they'd need to ADD for the film, since it's already packed with music beginning to end. I am SOOO hoping they don't butcher this (no pun intended) on the big screen.

I am, though, skeptical in a teeny way -- but only because seeing it live with a typical revolving stage set (two floors) is something no one should miss.

Misterking, you saw the more recent version with Patti LaPone and Michael Cerveris, I think. (Was he bald/shaved head?)

The traveling Broadway production is coming here in early 2008 -- and I am taking a bunch of people to see it. I wouldn't miss a proper staging of this play for anything!

I now have the soundtrack on CD and play it all the time (much to the chagrin of my kids because I sing along at top voice).

This looks like a must see. I have seen this on Broadway and it was fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing how it translates to the screen.

He used to be in a band, so maybe
There are a lot of people in "bands" that couldn't carry a tune in a gallon bucket with a lid on. And how many folks you know got a copy of Peter O'Toole's "Man of La Mancha" soundtrack?

I'm excited about this one.

See the trailer here:

The Adventure Starts Here!
Wait wait wait -- is this really coming out THIS Christmas? As in 2007?

Wow, somehow I thought we were looking at the end of 2008 or something. Nice!

Yes, damn, i want a trailer already! or at least a teaser >_>