The Slasher Club

Tools    

This is a place for people to discuss all things Slasher and Giallo. Feel free to post your lists, reviews, excitement and disgust for upcoming movies, and even pics of recent purchases. Also, I never tire of the age-old debate about what was the first slasher movie.

My History: I used to sporadically post on a few forums in the early and late 2000s, namely Rotten Tomatoes, Bloody Disgusting, and JoBlo. I remember Rotten Tomatoes had a horror club thread in their general discussion where we would just post in that about various horror things until the thread got too big so we'd just create a "part 2" and keep going. That's what I'm hoping to do here. Not to be too antisocial to the common movie fan, but I just don't watch movies that aren't slashers or comedies, and even then, comedies only make up about 15% of watch I watch. So if you're a slasher fan, feel free to tear it up in here. I don't really consider myself an "expert" on the subject so much as an exuberant student. I haven't really dived into things like commentaries and the technical aspect of slasher movies, mainly because for years I thought that that sort of thing ruins the illusion and magic of the film, but the more I work on my own scripts, the more I want to learn about the movie-making process, so I'm now exploring that area of the films I love. I'd say the technical aspect and maybe... Giallo films are probably my weakness.

I'm 40 years old and I didn't grow up with slashers, because my parents were pretty strict on what I could see. So strict in fact that I could only watch the Simpsons at a friend's house. (Haha) It's hilarious to think about it now. I think my first R rated movie was Double Impact (the Van Damme movie). I watched that at the same friend's house. Man, he had cool parents. We also would stay up late when I'd sleep over and watch HBO's Tales From the Crypt. But it wasn't until I was a teenager that I would discover the slasher movie. And that slasher movie was called 'Scream'. I think it's pretty funny that my first experience with a slasher movie was one that basically references the genre for the entire film. So to me, all the references and meta stuff was completely lost on me. All I took away from it was, "Damn that was a fun ride." I was hooked. I would then go on to see a rent whatever I could get my hands on. It wasn't until I started using the internet that I would find the roots of the slasher genre.

So here I am, using the internet to further evolve my addiction.

(I'll try to edit some pics in once I'm past 25 posts)

Okay, so let me kick this off by giving you my rankings of the big 3 (Halloweens, Fridays, and Chainsaws). I guarantee you that you probably won't come across any rankings like mine. Haha.

Michael Myers Movies

01. Halloween (1978) You can't beat perfection. The perfect slasher movie.

02. Halloween II (1981) A perfect continuation of that magic that was the original.

03. Halloween 5 (1989) Yep, you're probably calling troll right about now. Nope, I love it. I could care less about the Jamie character, I think Michael is in top form here, and the stalking is superb. One of my favorite scenes is when Michael is wearing that other dude's mask. Outstanding! Such an underrated and abused film.

04. Halloween (2007) Now, I used to hate on this movie, and I understand why people dislike it because I used to dislike it myself. That is until the day I decided to separate it from the franchise and judge it with a different understanding. While I was watching this movie one night I thought to myself, what if none of the Halloween films ever existed, would that make this a better movie? Absolutely it would. It makes it a pretty damn good slasher. So for me, I am a slasher fan first, and a Halloween fan second.

05. Halloween 4 (1988) Not bad, it tends to get a little boring for me in parts, but overall a solid film.

06. The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) Not the worst of the bunch, but it's not one I'm ever gonna wanna invest any more time into. Tad bit weak.

07. Halloween: Reserection (2002) Yes, there is so much wrong with this one, but that almost makes it a worth watch. Almost. I honestly don't mind it as much as I should, some of the kills are kinda fun.

08. Halloween II (2009) Yeah, there's no defending this one. I couldn't stand it. The violence couldn't even save it. Just eye rolling bad. I hated what he did with this character.

09. Halloween (2018) Not a fan. I think they screwed it up royally. Terrible characters, uninteresting plot, 3 final girls? What a slap in the face to the formula Halloween helped to solidify.

10. Halloween H20 (1998) You could barely call this a slasher movie. It is a fluffy little Soap opera of an installment. By far the worst and weakest Halloween film made to date.

(I don't count Season of the Witch)

Up next, my Friday rankings...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Okay, so let me kick this off by giving you my rankings of the big 3 (Halloweens, Fridays, and Chainsaws). I guarantee you that you probably won't come across any rankings like mine. Haha.
You had me at Big Three, then lost me at Chainsaws over Knife Glove.

Then I gave you another chance....and you lost me again with H20 at the BOTTOM of the Halloween series.

Suspect's Reviews

I gotta go with TUS here. HTH is the King not in the top 3?

And, Chainsaw? WGAF about that as a series? Also, while I understand and agree with not including Season Of The Witch, what do you think of it as a film?

Your top 3 is identical to my own. I have never understood how so many people who share my opinion about Halloween and Halloween 2...seem to despise 5. As you point out, the stalking sequences are incredible...and that IS how Myers started out, and the way that he was ultimately conceived...as the quintessential stalker. If I had to pick between 2 and 5, it would be almost impossible...each has its' own unique strengths. Some of these overlap....some vary. Moment for moment, I'd take 2...there are virtually no weak moments in Halloween 2. But Halloween 5 has several of the greatest isolated moments in the entire series(the laundry chute, the barn sequence, the death of Tina in the forest, Loomis dominating the finale)...I love them both, and i don't use the term 'love' as hyperbole, either...

The Halloween films are my all time favourite slasher films, and like you the first two are the best of the franchise.
My wife likes a good slasher film and she has a decent collection of horror films in general.

Some of our favourites that we first watched while dating are Ripper (with Bruce Payne), My Bloody Valentine and Shredder.

Now, this is my kind of place.

Anybody stoked for the new Black Christmas remake? If it weren't for Imogen, I'd be in full-on rant mode. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Chainsaw? WGAF about that as a series?
I do.

Despite there being some real stinkers (Leatherface '90 & Next Gen), I love the franchise, and can't wait to see something new from it.

Just for fun:

#1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre '74
#2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
#3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003
#4. Leatherface (2017)
#5. Texas Chainsaw 3D
#6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
#7. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
#8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Always cool to see fellow fans of the Slasher genre. I used to run a website back in 2015-2016 dedicated to the same passion. Haha.