Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I'll admit right up front that she had to grow on me, but now that she has, so do I.

The Great Hack

The Great Hack is pretty much sensationalism. It calls hacking the use of people's public information to target political ads. Thing is, since they put their information on a social network in the internet where billions of people have access to it so it's natural political campaigns will try to use that information to target advertising. It is obviously a movie made by people who regard Trump and Brexit something unacceptable and they use the internet advertising story as a way to convince themselves that these things were not really "democratic" (even though they, technically, were).

The Highwaymen (2019)

Steady film about the pursuit of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. Feel bad because the pacing is supposed to represent the time and the hardships around but it drags. A worthy film in the way that "The Monuments Men" was.

This on-target lampoon of 80's teem comedies is funny as hell, especially if you've seen the movies that are being spoofed here. There are standout performances from Randy Quaid as the drunken perverted dad of the leading lady, Ed Lauter as a foul-mouthed football coach and Jaime Pressly as a bitchy cheerleader.

Napoléon vu par Abel Gance [Napoleon] 2000 extended restoration (Abel Gance, 1927)

Revolutionary stuff

The Cat's Meow, a film about the rumour that Tom Ince was murdered aboard William Randolph Hearst's yacht. 6/10.

The Mustang (2019)

Nice watch.

The Banana Splits Movie
(2019)
3.5/5

Not a bad horror flick based off a cheesy late 1960's to early 1970's kids Saturday morning show

'In Fabric' (2019)

Dir.: Peter Strickland

Peter Strickland's 4th film is probably his most eccentric yet. A horror-comedy that involves sales season at a department store set in late 70s / early 80s England. It has a huge whiff of homage to giallo type Euro films and also has it's own identity in the form of sharply dry comedy dissecting consumerism and the obsession with shopping / clothes.

As with the majority of Strickland's films there is this other worldly feel to it, and there are no recognisable brands / materialistic objects that make us comfortable in a familiarity type way. Instead there are mysterious characters performing a variety of twisted acts on themselves and on mannequins. There are women with wigs, a very weird store owner, disappearing store assistants and untimely demises. How much of this is to be analysed and how much is Strickland's indulgence remains a bit of a mystery. But the journey was a great experience - the way it is shot (especially the main protagonist - a red dress) is beautiful, and the way it sounded (creaks, voices, pens writing,scratching, pipes moaning, elevators whining, washing machines spinning) was as eerie as it was awesome.

The two chapter style didn't really fit - perhaps these things tend to be better with 1 or 3. I can envisage this film being frustrating for filmgoers who prefer a more linear plot. There are lots of amibiguous characters and dialogues. But it's definitely worth a watch just for how different Strickland films are to most out there.

Hearts Of The World (D.W. Griffith, 1918)

Thankfully Dot Gish brightens early proceedings; jingoistic/propagandist closing is painful

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance) 2014

Had no idea this was from Alejandro Inarritu but when I saw his name at the end I was like "oh yeah" .. for me this filmmaker makes the best looking films, almost experimental looking like he is saying "okay lets put a camera here and try this" and its beautiful and it works. A wonderful and at times hilarious, I cant remember laughing so much.

Welcome To Marwen 2018

Nice

Pet Sematary 2019

Meh.. I must say I think Jason Clarke sucks in these types of movies and he is only good in serious drama... this King adaption has nothing original going for it whatsoever and features mind boggling stupid decisions that has little weight to any of it

Xenophobia 2019

Aside from the terrible cgi and even more terrible acting, this Alien abduction anthology of sorts has a few things going for it to keep you watching

[/center]
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Still my #1 favorite movie of all time. Hasn't lost a bit of its magic in the 55 years since it's theatrical release. I discovered there are still things in this movie that make me laugh out loud, like those penguins in the "Jolly Holiday" sequence and Van Dick's performance as the elder Mr. Dawes. This movie enchanted me at the age of 6 and continues to do so.

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten (Julien Temple, 2007)

Better if some of the 'talking heads' that add little to nothing had been left on the cutting room floor imo

Shirley (Colin Teague, 2011)
+
Not the belter of a biopic it ought to be but does benefit from a good lead performance