Mindhunter

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Flying through this, couple episodes a note. Be done this weekend I expect. Very much enjoying it.
Where are you? Season/ep? I just finished S1 not 5 minutes ago.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Agreed that the first episode was wonky. I've enjoyed EVERYTHING since except for the constant glances to one another totally telegraphing their guilt or surprise or whatever other tell they give away. Someone should make a YouTube parody of two grown men constantly glancing at each other in sheepish anxiety. The other is the cassette. I just screamed at my screen.
What about the cassette made you scream at your screen? They had cassettes in 1980!

Agreed that the first episode was wonky. I've enjoyed EVERYTHING since except for the constant glances to one another totally telegraphing their guilt or surprise or whatever other tell they give away. Someone should make a YouTube parody of two grown men constantly glancing at each other in sheepish anxiety. The other is the cassette. I just screamed at my screen.
What about the cassette made you scream at your screen? They had cassettes in 1980!
lol. You were the one chasing tech. It just bugged me with what happened to the cassette. Or what didnt happen to it?

Watched the first 5 eps of season 2. Overall I'm enjoying it more than season 1. To me the standout is Hoyt McCallany as Agent Bill Tench. He has a lot of charisma, and seems the most well adjusted of the leads. I could do without the obligatory sourpuss lezzie, capably played by Anna Torv. Johnathan Groff's Holden Ford is a bit uneven, but he hold's one's interest.

As mentioned by some, the period stuff is not 100% accurate for 1979-80, but that's real common. I guess they don't want to confuse anyone...

~Doc

I'll start s2 today and am looking forward to it after the closing scenes of season 1. Great song too

Everybody I know is talking about this show, I guess I need to check it out.
Hold your nose on the first ep! lol. It gets MUCH better by the next. Hope you enjoy it.

lol. You were the one chasing tech. It just bugged me with what happened to the cassette. Or what didnt happen to it?
Wait, so this is in season one somewhere? Now I'm completely blanking on what you're referring to!

Wait, so this is in season one somewhere? Now I'm completely blanking on what you're referring to!
Yeah. I was being cryptic for anyone who has not seen it, but the short sub-plot investigation on their recording and transcripted interview frustrated me with how the new investigator handled himself. Not that they used a cassette, just how it was handled =)

Ohhhh, yeah. That seemed a bit contrived, didn't it? Not sure he would have
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
ratted Ford out like that, despite them having made it clear he has PRINCIPLES.

the bar was high for this series, it have the great david fincher on board. a master of the genera.
i prefer season 1, but they're equally good. some people comparing season 2 to the first true detective,
i can't agree, true detective was too good to be true, to a series. the cast obviously helped.
i saw an interview with the cast, and holt mccallany said this series is different from almost every other,
because it is being made like a movie, the cast sits on a table and they think on how to improve scenes,
they think about what is the point of every scene, they don't just think of deadlines, filming time.

i saw an interview with the cast, and holt mccallany said this series is different from almost every other,
because it is being made like a movie, the cast sits on a table and they think on how to improve scenes,
they think about what is the point of every scene, they don't just think of deadlines, filming time.
That's interesting. I did notice that the group scenes seemed very well thought out, so it makes sense that they'd used the method to which you referred.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
TRAILER for season 2:

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Night Shift

Finished up with season 2 of Mindhunter last night. Its quality was high, and held one's interest throughout-- IMO more so than did the first season.

The script closely followed the actual Atlanta murders of 1979-81, where 30 murders were lumped together as considered the possible result of a serial killer. 24 were children from aged 9 to 17. However several major liberties were taken for the script.

The first change was the character Wendy Carr, portrayed by Anna Torv as a Quantico psychologist and lesbian. The real life character, Ann Burgess, is a psychiatric nurse practitioner who is a heterosexual married to a man, and with children. Carr's side story of her homosexual relationship had no bearing on the story, nor did it improve the narrative.

The second was Agent Bill Tench, played by Holt McCallany as real life FBI profiler Robert Ressler. Ressler remained happily married until his death at aged 76. I won't reveal the ending, but at least it made sense to the story.

The 2nd season is a darkly fascinating true crime saga. The man eventually charged was convicted for only 2 of the murders, both adults. However another 22 were conveniently "attributed" to the convict, and their cases closed, while 4 are "unresolved".

The way season 2 ended, we can almost be certain of a 3rd season, with a whole new collection of crimes. Hopefully creator Joe Penhall will come up with an equally high quality season.

~Doc

The only thing about Carr's lesbianism that tied in, IMHO, was when she revealed that bit of information in the inmate interview and got him to open up. Of course, Smith didn't believe it and thought it was just a brilliant ploy of hers to get the inmate to talk. But that seemed to be the only reason to incorporate that into the storyline.

As for a third season... gosh, I hope so. They keep showing us that oddball out in Kansas somewhere (the one who works for ADT), and I was waiting for them to come back around to him at some point. But as yet, that far-flung story hasn't intersected with our agents back at Quantico. I'm assuming it's going to somehow/sometime catch up with them ... and might even be the story they use to tie up the series with a final season. Meanwhile, that weirdo is just out there killing people without anyone picking up on him.

A system of cells interlinked
The only thing about Carr's lesbianism that tied in, IMHO, was when she revealed that bit of information in the inmate interview and got him to open up. Of course, Smith didn't believe it and thought it was just a brilliant ploy of hers to get the inmate to talk. But that seemed to be the only reason to incorporate that into the storyline.

As for a third season... gosh, I hope so. They keep showing us that oddball out in Kansas somewhere (the one who works for ADT), and I was waiting for them to come back around to him at some point. But as yet, that far-flung story hasn't intersected with our agents back at Quantico. I'm assuming it's going to somehow/sometime catch up with them ... and might even be the story they use to tie up the series with a final season. Meanwhile, that weirdo is just out there killing people without anyone picking up on him.

WARNING: "Mindhunter - Season 2" spoilers below
The ADT guy is the BTK killer. You see the logo on the copy that gets jammed in the Xerox machine. The agents talk about the killer from time to time, so I think that will all come to a head on season 3.