Movie Inquiry Log

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i thought this might be kind of a good idea for a thread.

so I was thinking this could be like used as a movie question log.

you ever watch a movie and have a random thought that you want to share with someone, or ask a weird question about it, but it’s not the kind of question that deserves a whole thread to itself? well, that happens to me kinda a lot, and I actually used to use IMDB message boards for those times, because each title had its own individual board, but… now that that’s gone, why not create a thread on Mofo for it instead?

basically, this could kinda be the go-to thread for that sort of thing. as ridiculous questions as you want, of course. actually, the more ridiculous the better.

So I’ll start! I was watching My Fair Lady the other night and when it got to the forced bath scene, it struck me as incredibly odd because basically Eliza Doolittle doesn't take bathes ever because she thinks it's wrong/inappropriate to ever take her clothes off? "i'm a good girl, i am!" she says, as she stands there with like 20 years of sludge on her body.
i've never heard of such a thing, but then, that doesn't mean anything. was this a real thing that people felt/believed back then?

(oh btw, this is the first time I’ve made a new thread in, like, 2 years or something because right after I turned 31, I noticed on my profile it was listed I had exactly 30 threads and didn’t want to create a new thread because I was hoping people viewing my profile would see the number and mistake it for my age lolz [i'm 33 now so whatev ])

anyway feel free to answer my question or ask your own!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
also, i just realized that by putting this in Movie Questions, it might be kinda weird cause of the whole Unanswered tag on it. if any mods reading this think it would be suited better somewhere else could you move it please?

..... I was watching My Fair Lady the other night and when it got to the forced bath scene, it struck me as incredibly odd because basically Eliza Doolittle doesn't take bathes ever because she thinks it's wrong/inappropriate to ever take her clothes off? "i'm a good girl, i am!" she says, as she stands there with like 20 years of sludge on her body.

i've never heard of such a thing, but then, that doesn't mean anything. was this a real thing that people felt/believed back then?....
My Fair Lady is set in 1900-1910 Edwardian era London and people took bathes back then. Though I believe the standard was only one bath per week. Showers would have been uncommon.

So I wouldn't take that scene literally ever being true, as it's a character building device. Eliza is filthy and yet believes bathes are immoral, so the audience can see just how poor and ignorant she is. Oh and we get to see her transformed into a beautiful woman by the end of the movie which audiences love to see.

Love that film by the way, hope you enjoyed it

Welcome to the human race...
In Brazil why does Harry randomly decide to fix Sam's pipes? Also how did he know about the pipes being broken and Sam's address. It all sounds incredibly ridiculous.
Harry tells Sam at one point that he likes to fix pipes, even mentioning that he got into being a heating engineer for the adventure of it all. When Sam asks why he doesn't just work for Central Services, it's because Harry can't stand that the system's extreme bureaucracy means that the pipes don't get fixed at all. Also, he knows about Sam's pipes because he intercepts Sam's phone call to Central Services (which explains why the real repairmen show up while Harry is in the middle of the job).

Great thread idea, @ash_is_the_gal !

Batman (1989) - after the Joker shoots down the Bat-plane, he enters a cathedral with Vicki Vale. The building is chosen at random since it's obvious his plans have gone awry with the interference of Batman, and the Joker had no previous plans to enter the building. It takes a long time for the Joker and Vicki to reach the top as it does for Batman in pursuit. But once all three are in the belfry, some of the Joker's henchmen come out of the shadows and begin to attack Batman. Why were they there? Why would they be there? How did they get to the top of the tower?

(We might surmise that the helicopter the Joker calls had dropped the henchmen there previously, but why would it since there was no indication the Joker had ever planned to end up there?)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Great thread idea, @ash_is_the_gal !

Batman (1989) - after the Joker shoots down the Bat-plane, he enters a cathedral with Vicki Vale. The building is chosen at random since it's obvious his plans have gone awry with the interference of Batman, and the Joker had no previous plans to enter the building. It takes a long time for the Joker and Vicki to reach the top as it does for Batman in pursuit. But once all three are in the belfry, some of the Joker's henchmen come out of the shadows and begin to attack Batman. Why were they there? Why would they be there? How did they get to the top of the tower?

(We might surmise that the helicopter the Joker calls had dropped the henchmen there previously, but why would it since there was no indication the Joker had ever planned to end up there?)
There are so many glaring plot holes in Batman because the movie was constantly being re-written throughout production, seemingly by people who had no idea what it was about. Jack Nicholson brought friends to rewrite his part because he didn't think he was funny enough in the script, and they also changed plot points, made costly changes to action sequences, and even removed characters from the film (Robin, mainly). Nobody was in charge of that movie.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

My Fair Lady is set in 1900-1910 Edwardian era London and people took bathes back then. Though I believe the standard was only one bath per week. Showers would have been uncommon.
Very likely apocryphal, but Queen Elizabeth I was said to have remarked that she bathed once a year, whether she needed it or not.

In Deliverance why didn't they just tell the truth to the sheriff? All of their murders WERE in self defense.
Can't remember. Didn't they just want to get the hell out of Dodge?

They did, but the sheriff was questioning them.
How could they prove they were self-defense? There were no outside witnesses.