Spanglish

→ in
Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I did not expect to like this movie. At all. But I thouroughly enjoyed it.

I know a lot of people see Adam Sandler's name in the credits, and they cringe. But even for those group of people, you really have nothing to worry about. This is not your typical Adam Sandler movie. I mean I really enjoyed it. I would say its more of a Drama than a Comedy. Dramady?

And for once, Adam Sandler isn't even the main character. I mean he's in there, he has a influential role, but to me, the main character was Flor. To me, it was more about her life, and her path, and her daughters of course. I feel like Sandler was more the supporting character.

All the actors in this movie gave great performances. And I'm not just saying that, but I actually ended up really liking, and feeling for each and every one of them. How often does that happen? The least likable was Tea Leoni's character, who played Sandlers wife, but then again she still gave a very believable performance. That's what I think about all the characters in this movie. They all gave a very believable, pleasant viewing performance. This movie makes you go and all at the same time.

Anyway, I think Sandler fans and non-Sandler fans both should see this movie. You'll both be surprised. Quite pleasantly!

I myself plan to see Spanglish. As an employee at a movie theater, I got to see parts of Spaglish here and there and it looked quite interesting.

I have seen Sandler in dramatic roles before and know he pulls it off very well. Take Punch Drunk Love as an example. As for [b]Spanglish again, for those who see it at my theater, they all come out crying. They tell me the ending is very touching and emotional.

My life isn't written very well.
Three words: James L. Brooks

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I may see this over the break, but I also may rent it.

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
I did not expect to like this movie. At all. But I thouroughly enjoyed it.

I know a lot of people see Adam Sandler's name in the credits, and they cringe. But even for those group of people, you really have nothing to worry about. This is not your typical Adam Sandler movie. I mean I really enjoyed it. I would say its more of a Drama than a Comedy. Dramady?

And for once, Adam Sandler isn't even the main character. I mean he's in there, he has a influential role, but to me, the main character was Flor. To me, it was more about her life, and her path, and her daughters of course. I feel like Sandler was more the supporting character.

All the actors in this movie gave great performances. And I'm not just saying that, but I actually ended up really liking, and feeling for each and every one of them. How often does that happen? The least likable was Tea Leoni's character, who played Sandlers wife, but then again she still gave a very believable performance. That's what I think about all the characters in this movie. They all gave a very believable, pleasant viewing performance. This movie makes you go and all at the same time.

Anyway, I think Sandler fans and non-Sandler fans both should see this movie. You'll both be surprised. Quite pleasantly!
Again, I agree...Spanglish is truly a remarkable movie. I hesitated to see it because, quite frankly, the previews just didn’t work for me. I’m sorry I waited so long. It’s easy to see why this film is making most of the critic’s top ten lists of 2004. Paz Vega as Flor Moreno absolutely makes this film an instant classic. Besides being stunningly beautiful, she brings true warmth, depth and soulfulness to the character. I can’t imagine any man that views this film not being charmed senseless by the character of Flor. I know I was. Sandler checks his goofball mannerisms at the door and is perfect in the part as Chef John Clasky. The writing and characterization on this film is the best I’ve seen in ages. In just over two hours, you really come to empathize, like, dislike, and care for every single character given any real screen time. From an emotionally unstable wife to a detached but lovable grandmother to an overweight teenager to a wide-eyed immigrant teenager to John and Flor themselves, EVERY character is fleshed out as they generate true emotion from the viewer. I’m adding this wonderful film to my DVD collection the moment it is released. It’s truly a must see and definitely one of the top five movies produced in 2004.

Wow I thought it was the biggest pile of **** I have ever seen in my entire life.

i am dazed by paz vega. This is a great movie.

Originally Posted by rodney00
i am dazed by paz vega. This is a great movie.
Paz Vega is a stunning beauty, and she is the only decent thing about Spanglish....but if you want to get your Paz groove on, check out Sex & Lucia. Yowza.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Paz Vega is a stunning beauty, and she is the only decent thing about Spanglish....but if you want to get your Paz groove on, check out Sex & Lucia. Yowza.

I still havn't seen the movie but I'm still suprised you'd dis Tea Leoni like that. boo, Holden. Boo!

I like Téa Leone (and have ever since "Flying Blind" with Corey Parker), but she is flat-out awful in Spanglish. In fact, she is far and away the worst element, other than the atrocious script and hamfisted direction by Jim Brooks. And I am saying that as an unabashed Brooks fan. Hell, I thought I'll Do Anything was a good movie and got an unfair bad rep. Yet even I couldn't stomach Spanglish. Really just awful, except for Paz who you can't help but fall in love with...or at least want to do wonderfully horrible things to her with your tongue. But again, see Sex & Lucia.

I finally got around to seeing Spanglish just before Christmas. I was stunned at how awful it was. Brooks' I'll Do Anything really is a masterpiece by comparison. It's hard to believe the man responsible for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Broadcast News and As Good As It Gets actually spent a year of his life on this waste of an idea. Surprisingly, it wasn't Adam Sandler's fault at all. He was fine. But my god this is a horrible movie.

And Sex & Lucia is a good flick, but pretty hardcore in some respects. Well, not like Irreversible, but definitely not a movie you want to watch with Grandma. The "sex" in the title is not false advertising.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I finally got around to seeing Spanglish just before Christmas. I was stunned at how awful it was. Brooks' I'll Do Anything really is a masterpiece by comparison. It's hard to believe the man responsible for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Broadcast News and As Good As It Gets actually spent a year of his life on this waste of an idea. Surprisingly, it wasn't Adam Sandler's fault at all. He was fine. But my god this is a horrible movie.
I'm starting to think you didn't like it...?

And Sex & Lucia is a good flick, but pretty hardcore in some respects. Well, not like Irreversible, but definitely not a movie you want to watch with Grandma. The "sex" in the title is not false advertising.
I've seen the box for it and it looked rather racey. Having survived watching Nurse Betty with my dad, I appreciate the warning. Or maybe it was Me, Myself and Irene... it was something with a TON of dick jokes and dildos and I wanted to quick-dissolve into the couch by half way through.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I've seen the box for it and it looked rather racey. Having survived watching Nurse Betty with my dad, I appreciate the warning. Or maybe it was Me, Myself and Irene... it was something with a TON of dick jokes and dildos and I wanted to quick-dissolve into the couch by half way through.
Well, there's actually (simulated) steamy sex in Sex & Lucia, not dick jokes and sick gags. So it's a different kind of uncomfortability.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Oh man I just saw this movie and let me tell you, it was amazing. All the characters were so believable and real, and the cast was just right. 5/5

I like SPANGLISH too and I think it contains Adam Sandler's second best performance, second only to PUNCH DRUNK LOVE. I also think Tea Leoni has never been better and Cloris Leachman was fantastic.