What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Now I want to watch the whole interview. I have enjoyed that interviewer before, he's very thorough and asks great questions. He lets the person he's interviewing talk, and directs them to interesting meaningful discussion. I forget his name though, but I really liked his interview with Jennifer Lawrence, and Quentin Tarantino. I really feel sorry for George Lucas. Who says, "I'm a great ____." Okay, he thinks he's a great dad, great. But do other people say that about him? That trembling lip over not getting an Oscar for Star Wars. I feel really bad. I've made fun of him in the past, but now I just feel sorry for him.

I got mad at a couple of clerks at a comic book/hobby shop because they were attributing things that other artists did in the Star Wars expanded universe to George Lucas as if he was more brilliant than Tolkien when it comes to world building. As if George Lucas invented everything about Manadlorians, when George Lucas didn't even care about Boba Fett as a character, let alone develop a thorough backstory for all his random minor characters. He couldn't even write a half decent back story for his main characters, look how he butchered Anakin and Obi-Wan's backstory.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan. I used to watch the original trilogy 2-3 times a year. I've seen them at least 25 times. I used to roleplay on Star Wars forums, and in Star Wars games. But I haven't the original trilogy in about six years. The last two times I tried to watch The Empire Strikes Back, I turned it off shortly after the first act. I can't seem to enjoy them very much anymore. All I notice are flaws, incessant flaws.

I can't even say that the original trilogy were particularly good movies. Entertaining, sure, but they have this "family" quality. There's no horrors of war, no gruesome violence, the dialogue isn't particularly deep or meaningful. There's no poetry, no art. Just cool space ships, lasers, Storm Troopers, and lightsabers. Those things are just stuff, they don't make a movie good. To me a movie is only as good as its substance and its artistry.

I remember how Alec Guinness talked about Star Wars, and some of the hints he gave of things that happened behind the scenes. For example, Lucas wanted to call the lightsabers "laser swords," and it was Guinness who suggested changing the name to something that didn't sound as silly. There were quite a few changes to the script that Guinness suggested, and he commented on a significant portion of the script needing to be altered. Then there's also the case of early footage being very boring, and they had to make significant changes to the movie. It was almost a disaster, and there's a good reason he wasn't allowed to direct Ep. V and VI, and they turned out better with him being less involved. When he had full control, we saw how much of a disaster the prequel trilogy turned out. I've heard that he sold Star Wars to Disney out of spite towards the fans for liking the Star Wars movies that the studio interfered with more than ones he made.

I couldn't stand the changes he made to the original trilogy. He made the Sarlaac look stupid, and he dubbed over the original Boba Fett actor's voice, just to name a couple that I particularly disliked. To me that's just disrespectful toward the original actor. I loved the original actor's voice. I was always a Boba Fett guy. When I was a kid and I saw Star Wars for the first time, I was mesmerised by Boba Fett. His death was a little heartbreaking, but it didn't deter how awesome he was. There was something very humbling about the fact that he died. I didn't care that they revived him in the books. Either way he is the perfect epitome of a cold calculating killer. I love Star Wars, but now it feels more like nostalgia than anything else.

I'm watching the full interview, and it just got to the part where he said, "I was a great dad." It wasn't him saying that he was. It was him responding to being asked, "What do you want the first line of your obituary to say." And he said, "I was a great dad... or I tried." And then he laughed. It wasn't a sad, lonely, pathetic moment at all. Actually so far I'm liking the interview. Lucas has a pretty good understanding of art in general, and not too bad a perspective of his own work on the original Star Wars. I think I'm getting a little more sympathy for him, a bit more of a moderate perspective.

Wow, 27 minutes in Lucas starts talking about his low opinion of his movies. He says Star Wars was terrible, but everyone told him it was great. He talked about how when he watches it, all he can see are the flaws, and the scotch tape and rubber bands holding everything up. I did not know he had this much self-awareness. I'm actually starting to respect the guy. I don't think I feel sorry for him anymore.

Here's the full interview.

Midnite Spares (VHS) NTSC

The Hills Have Eyes (VHS) PAL
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

What does George Lucas have to say about his greatest film American Graffiti?
He said he did it in response to his friend, another filmmaker, challenging him to do a comedy. He also said it turned out fairly well, and he got a fair amount of academic praise for it, and awards.

He said it was a more artistic film that he didn't expect anyone to care about.

I haven't seen it myself.

It's been on my watch list forever.

He said he did it in response to his friend, another filmmaker, challenging him to do a comedy. He also said it turned out fairly well, and he got a fair amount of academic praise for it, and awards.

He said it was a more artistic film that he didn't expect anyone to care about.

I haven't seen it myself.

It's been on my watch list forever.
American Graffiti is in my top 10 profile. I don't know if you'd like or not? I love it because I can easily relate to it.

“I was cured, all right!”
That's quite the score you got there Ultraviolence.
Yes, now my Tarkovsky collection is more than complete. Already have two versions of Andrei Rublev on DVD, I'm so glad is now being released on Blu-ray around here and I've being waiting the re-release of Harakiri for four years now.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Pre-ordered this from Amazon since it seems like it'll be a good movie.

Another pre-order from Amazon. It's one of the last Miyazaki films left that I don't own.

Yes, now my Tarkovsky collection is more than complete. Already have two versions of Andrei Rublev on DVD, I'm so glad is now being released on Blu-ray around here and I've being waiting the re-release of Harakiri for four years now.
I refuse to watch the Harakiri remake though. The original was so good, I don't want to tarnish it.

Worst Case, We Get Married (2017)

I bought this because I'm a Sophie Nelisse fan, and I couldn't find this movie to stream anywhere. I couldn't even find a site that lets you pay to stream it. So, we'll see when the DVD arrives in the mail. I'm still waiting for The Human Condition. They said it would take up to 8 days, and it's now been 15 days.

Suicide Commando VHS NTSC

I'm starting my "Macaroni Combat" collection. Some of these films haven't been transferred to DVD or Blu-Ray yet. So definitely glad I finally got in my multi region VCR now.

Batman Forever VHS

Yes I know this is a terrible film, and one would question why anyone would want to voluntarily watch it, (let alone own it)... But, this is "the" film when I was a child that got me "hooked" on cinema. I was obsessed with Tommy Lee Jones' character as "Two-Face." I must have bought every single "Two-Face" item and accessory when I was a child. Practically every day I'd drag my poor parents to see this film when it was in theaters, and when it was starting to leave the main "theater circuit," I requested that my parents take me to see it in theaters way on the outskirts of practically deserted towns where said theaters were last on call to get a "big budget" picture... for a film such as this, (and to relive my childhood even more), it was an easy decision to own this film on VHS.

Taoism Drunkard DVD

I've been looking for this film for years! It ran under the title of "Taoism Drunkard" and "Drunken Wu Tang," but damned if you searched for either of these titles you could find it as the right one. Apparently there is a lot of other kung fu cinema that runs under the same name! Eventually I downloaded a copy of this film and ripped it as my own personal "bootleg." (Which believe me, I hated doing, I really like getting things legitimately). Well, with all that said, this finally came in today, and much to my happiness, it's the right film. Now I can trash that bootleg, finally!

Another pre-order from Amazon. It's one of the last Miyazaki films left that I don't own.
I don't particularly care for The Wind Rises, it seems evident in the film that Miyazaki is running out of steam. It's not a bad film by any stretch, it's decent. But some of the magic of some of his earlier works seems lost in this film.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I don't particularly care for The Wind Rises, it seems evident in the film that Miyazaki is running out of steam. It's not a bad film by any stretch, it's decent. But some of the magic of some of his earlier works seems lost in this film.
I mean, it's obviously going to be different since it's about a real man who designed planes in WWII but at the same time I do get why it's not for everyone.