The Western III Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ha, I must be tired...I just seen Siddon's review and tried to add the link to the first page.....then I realized why it wouldn't work...I'm not the host
OMG you SUCH a control freak and here's the proof!!

And I'm an even WORSE slacker recently with being at home and not constantly in front of a computer like I am when I work, that I need to do catch up.
Which I'll do in a few after I post Meek's Cutoff.

Meek's Cutoff

Emily Tetherow: You don't know much about women, do you Stephen Meek?
Stephen Meek: Well, I, I know somethin' or other.
Emily Tetherow: If you say so.
Stephen Meek: Well, I know women are different from men. I know that much. Well, I'll tell you the difference if you care to hear.
Emily Tetherow: I don't doubt you will.
Stephen Meek: Women, women are created on the principle of chaos. The chaos of creation, disorder, bringing new things into the world. Men are created on the principle of destruction. It's like cleansing, ordering, destruction.

A minimalistic film, I found myself appreciating it more after viewing it than while I watched it due to the format of the film leaving even a little to get involved in; including the characters. And when there eventually was, it was a little too late to truly delve into. Except for the exchanges between Michelle Williams' Emily Tetherow and Rod Rondeaux' "Indian". His appearance making a very needed break from the snail-paced onslaught of conditions and growing dread that was unable to affect me, it seems.
Now, there are other actors here that I do like, but, again, due to the minimalistic format, and, perhaps due to the culminated exhaustion of their situation, they appeared a little more deflated than simply defeated.
Said actors include: Will Patton (Solomon Tetherow), Shirley Henderson (Glory White) and, under all that hair and beard, Bruce Greenwood (Stephen Meek).

When I first saw this was nominated, I had HUGELY mistaken it for Winter's Bone, which I continue to be curious to see at some point.

I am happy to have seen this and there ARE aspects I DO appreciate and that does include the Director's choice of minimalistic endeavors as well as placing us (the viewers) after the cutoff, and then, we depart before any actual resolve occurred. I appreciate them, but not enough to enjoy my viewing, sadly.

Red River(1949)

After all the realistic westerns sometimes it's nice to just kick back and watch a classic. The great irony of John Wayne is that today he's thought of as a hero yet when one looks back at his oeuvre it's the villain roles where he excels at. John Wayne plays Dunsen though he's clearly channeling Captain Bligh from Mutiny on the Bounty a man running cattle and slowly losing his mind. Montgomery Clift plays Matt Garth the lieutenant of the operation. To me Hawks was always superior to Ford because he allowed for complicated stories. Clift is impressive taking over the lead performance and while the film isn't "realistic" it's executed well enough I was absorbed to the point where I didn't really mind. I mean do you mind when you think that at the end of JAWS no way could the survivors swim to shore?
Great review and I LOVE that final sentence -- excellent point!

The Big Showdown aka The Grand Duel is an interesting western. Lee Van Cleef who I always thought was typecast as the bad guy got to play the Eastwoodesque scamp in this Spaghetti Western. He actually looks like he aged 20 years from his Good Bad and Ugly but that's neither here nor there. This is a by the books western with probably the most derivative plot in all westerns...a family is looking to get revenge for their dead dad.

The acting and the plotting was pretty bad but I still found myself enjoying it. Really the only thing to write home about with this one is it's flashbacks which reminded me of a Fellini film. The other thing I enjoyed about it was that the set pieces were especially well done.
I think you watched the wrong western, Siddon. this is The Big Showdown from 1972, which kind of explains the extra 6 yrs of age on Lee Van Cleef you mentioned.
I do see how the two films get mixed up since I do see this pop up when searching for The Big Gundown.

@Citizen Rules, @ahwell, @John-Connor, @neiba, @Wyldesyde19, @Zotis, @Siddon

The CATCH UP:

I've got everyone's link from the past two weeks up so we should be up to snuff. The due date still remains for May 8, 2020 giving us, including today, 13 days to knock this out. Should anyone need more time, just let me know. Thank you!

Here's where the rest of stand
Siddon (7 out of 8)
edarsenal (7 out of 8)
neiba (5 out of 8)
Wyldesyde19 (4 out of 8)
Zotis (4 out of 8)

I think you watched the wrong western, Siddon. this is The Big Showdown from 1972, which kind of explains the extra 6 yrs of age on Lee Van Cleef you mentioned.
I do see how the two films get mixed up since I do see this pop up when searching for The Big Gundown.

I got sent this link is this not the nominee?

The Western III Hall of... 03-16-20 08:37 PM
PM cricket Gundown

PM cricket Gundown
Sadly, it isn't.
The Big gundown (1966) Director: Sergio Sollima

Not really sure what to do about this being so late in the game.

Hey at least Siddon got in an extra western for the countdown

PM cricket
What are those links to cricket and especially PM suppose to be about? The cricket link just goes to his profile and the PM link is a blank message, I don't see anything there?

What are those links to cricket and especially PM suppose to be about? The cricket link just goes to his profile and the PM link is a blank message, I don't see anything there?
I think he just copy pasted.

I don't doubt @cricket sent him a link and I've checked and seen how easy it is to mix the two up. I've even found one that shows up under Gundown and it's actually Showdown so I would seriously consider something very similar to that occurred.

My dilemma is since this is so close to the due date:
A) Should @Siddon locate and watch the correct one?
B) Do we move forward?

And I feel that @neiba should definitely weigh in and thereby, he should hold a larger gravitas to this all. Along with Siddon expressing what he would like to do with this. Followed by how the rest of us feel about this.

If this was much earlier there would be only one course, which, again, is why I am willing to consider a secondary option that is out of the usual parameters.
So, Siddon and neiba, I would really love to hear from both of you and then we all can discuss this.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I mean, Siddon has only 1 film left. It's on him to say if he has the time to put the extra viewing until the deadline. If he can't, I am ok with whichever you all are, but I obviously prefered my nom to be watched by everyone.

Meek's Cutoff (2010)

It may be because I've been exhausted lately, but I found this so boring! Which surprised me because usually this type of films is my kind of thing. But I spent so much effort remaining focused on this to find it entertaining.

I'll say, however, that the cinematography is stunning and there is some characters ark that are very well developed! Also, the acting is very solid from everyone involved and the script is convincing enough.

-

I may rewatch this later, if I feel fresh enough!

PM cricket Gundown
You should've gotten a message from me about a minute later saying it wasn't the right link, unless it didn't go through?

The trick is not minding
I’ll be finishing up this week. Will need links for The Grey Fox and Dirty Little Billy is anyone can provide them please.
I have access to the other two I need to watch

I’ll be finishing up this week. Will need links for The Grey Fox and Dirty Little Billy is anyone can provide them please.
I have access to the other two I need to watch

Me too!!