Contact (1997): What did Ellie's "father" whisper to her

Tools    

Near the end of the movie Contact (1997) when Ellie (Jodie Foster) has traveled thru the wormholes and reached her "destination", the being who appears to her as her father (David Morse) whispers something in her ear. I know we, the audience, are not meant to know what it was but does anyone have a clue? Is it in Sagan's book maybe? I read it years ago but remember little of it.

Just curious. It may be best NOT to know and just dream of all the possible things "he" might have said to her . . .

I've been trying to find a place to check this, but I didn't realize/remember he whispered in her ear?
Maybe he just kissed her on the cheek but it sure looks like he whispered something. BTW, David Morse, one of my favorite actors, was perfect as Ellie's father.

Ah. Yeah, I think that's a kiss, but I see why you mean, it does kinda look like that, he "puckers" a little before he gets there. But he's also not by her ear long enough to say much, so I think it's a kiss.

This isn't super helpful, but here's an earlier draft of the script. It's different in quite a few ways, some of which may spoil the tantalizing "I wonder what happens next/happened before?" stuff we've talked about in other threads. There's more detail there, though if there was any move to add a whisper, it would've had to happen between this draft and the final product.

Loved this movie. Always enjoy seeing Jodie Foster immerse herself in a role and make it believable. I agree with PumaMan that David Morse was perfect for his role. I remember him in the movie "Inside Moves" where he is "Rory", a guy intent of committing suicide. He jumps from a building and lands on a car - not dead but partially crippled. One of the other actors (the blind poker player) told him he did it backwards. He said "you're supposed to get F'd up first then try to kill yourself". Eventually he overcame his obstacles and got on with his life. Morse became one of my favorites after that.

A system of cells interlinked
Contact (1997): What did Ellie's "father" whisper to her

"This movie is ass."
Nonsense!

How dare you, sir!