jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

This currently sits at 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, which just goes to show that you can't trust critics when it comes to horror films or movies about people you use fake duck voices.
The wisest thing ever written on this forum.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Justin, I swear that if you were a girl, I'd have a crush on you.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Phenomenal stuff so far, JJ. I've always admired your taste in movies (and music, too, for that matter). I think you have a greater appreciation for the full spectrum of cinema than almost anyone on the forum. The eclectic variety of choices -- from gialli to Disney, Fulci to Kobayashi, lowbrow sleaze to highbrow art-house -- give credence to that. I'm also digging the short, witty write-ups. 500+ films is quite an undertaking, so I hope you see the list through to completion because this thread is quickly turning into a valuable index of cool, bad-ass, awesome cinema.

Regrettably, I've seen less than half of the films to appear so far, but I've added what few films weren't already on my watchlist. Most of my favorites are the more obvious ones (Psycho, The Apartment, Alien, etc.), but I've liked everything I've seen so far with the exception of Amer. (I don't think gialli is for me, although I've yet to explore the genre deep enough to form a concrete opinion.) It's cool seeing rarely-discussed films like Juan of the Dead and The Horseman on here that I've long been curious about but always pass on due to lack of expectations. I'm especially excited to watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series, as well as many others from your list I haven't seen. I'm sure all of them are worthwhile.

Keep the favorites flowing.

Let the night air cool you off
Phenomenal stuff so far, JJ. I've always admired your taste in movies (and music, too, for that matter). I think you have a greater appreciation for the full spectrum of cinema than almost anyone on the forum. The eclectic variety of choices -- from gialli to Disney, Fulci to Kobayashi, lowbrow sleaze to highbrow art-house -- give credence to that. I'm also digging the short, witty write-ups. 500+ films is quite an undertaking, so I hope you see the list through to completion because this thread is quickly turning into a valuable index of cool, bad-ass, awesome cinema.

Regrettably, I've seen less than half of the films to appear so far, but I've added what few films weren't already on my watchlist. Most of my favorites are the more obvious ones (Psycho, The Apartment, Alien, etc.), but I've liked everything I've seen so far with the exception of Amer. (I don't think gialli is for me, although I've yet to explore the genre deep enough to form a concrete opinion.) It's cool seeing rarely-discussed films like Juan of the Dead and The Horseman on here that I've long been curious about but always pass on due to lack of expectations. I'm especially excited to watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series, as well as many others from your list I haven't seen. I'm sure all of them are worthwhile.

Keep the favorites flowing.

Thanks for the kind words.

A personal goal of mine is to explore as much of the cinematic experience as I can. It's the main reason I am not really an expert in any field of cinema, but I have dabbled in most. I don't know that my taste is really all that good, but just that I am easy to impress. Regardless, I do appreciate the compliment.

I encourage you to make your own thread of this variety, as I encourage my other favorite members. Camo is doing one like this right now, and it's a good follow as well.

Thumbs up for Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Late Spring, and Le Trou. I also liked Amer more and more after thinking about it.

NY Ripper was a little disappointing for me.

51. The Devil Rides Out (1968; Terence Fisher)

The quintessential devil-worshipers Hammer film. There's a bunch of cool visuals.

52. The Phantom Carriage (1921; Victor Sjöström)

Thick atmosphere is almost a necessity when it comes to silent films, otherwise it's probably not as good as it could be. The atmosphere in this film is very fitting for the content, and the blue-tinted film works even more with the dream-like nature of the film. The special effects to create the ghostly imagery was ahead of its time, and is still really cool to look at.

53. The Great Silence (1968; Sergio Corbucci)

Snowy westerns have a perfect built-in setting, but very few utilize the setting as well as The Great Silence. The Day of the Outlaw is the only other snowy western I've seen that can compete with The Great Silence.

54. Trouble in Paradise (1932; Ernst Lubitsch)

A very funny film that is sophisticated and makes you feel good to watch. The scene where the two characters reveal their thievery to each other is absolutely pleasant.

55. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943; Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger)

I just point to this film when I try to explain that "thing" that Powell & Pressburger films have about them that other films don't. It's a perfect melding of humor, drama, and romance. The romance isn't always between lovers, but a person and ideals sometimes.

56. Ordet (1955; Carl Theodor Dreyer)

The most beautiful, emotional film about spirituality, religion, God, Christianity, etc. ever made. I don't think you have to be a theist to love this film. I am a theist, and it almost always bring tears to my eyes. Inger is my favorite film character of all-time.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Devil Rides Out was alright.

All the rest = masterpiece.
Your taste = amazing.

Ordet is the only one i've seen there and i don't remember it too well, i liked it somewhat at least but i'd like to see it now to see what i think.

The picture you used for Trouble in Paradise isn't showing up for me; not sure if it's my problem or it's the same for the rest; thought i should mention it though.

52. The Phantom Carriage (1921; Victor Sjöström)

Thick atmosphere is almost a necessity when it comes to silent films, otherwise it's probably not as good as it could be. The atmosphere in this film is very fitting for the content, and the blue-tinted film works even more with the dream-like nature of the film. The special effects to create the ghostly imagery was ahead of its time, and is still really cool to look at.
Can I just say, this movie really oughta be seen with the Matti Bye score. It's amazing.

57. The Mummy (1932; Karl Freund)

Universal Monster movie notable for the expressionist style and wonderful lighting

58. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971; Lucio Fulci)

Acid gore giallo by the legendary Lucio Fulci.

59. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970; Sam Peckinpah)

This was the follow up to The Wild Bunch. It's interesting that Peckinpah went from stark and violent to funny and a lot more gentle. Jason Robards is excellent as the titular character.

60. Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1967; Jack Hill)

This is not exactly an easy film to describe. It's a nasty cult horror(-pseudo-comedy) flick that is, at times, very creepy. It takes a no frills approach. There is no effects or techniques used to spook anyone, just a creepy house and some characters that would seem at home in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

61. The Night Stalker (1972; John Moxey)

The Night Stalker feels a lot like a pulpy detective comic book from a long time ago. If you are into that sort of thing, then you'd probably enjoy it.

62. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999; Abbas Kiarostami)

This is a huge shift in tone and direction from the last several entries on my list. The main thing to note in this film is all of the gorgeous shots of the Iranian countryside. There is also a lot of beauty found in the every day life of the people and world this film takes place in. Most of it is the least extravagant stuff you'll see, but the way it is filmed and moves along in a hypnotic pace is wonderful.

63. Claire's Knee (1970; Éric Rohmer)

With the subject matter at hand, this film could have easily just fallen into being creepy. And I guess to some, the fact that a man only wants to caress the knee of a teenage girl could still be really creepy. There is more going on than that, but it's a film for those who look beyond the story or plot of a film. Ebert's review says something along the lines of the film caring more about what's happening with the characters than the plot. I'd agree with that whole-heartedly. There is also a lot of great, dry humor.

64. Torso (1973; Sergio Martino)

A very underrated giallo. It's a hard sale for those of you who don't care about the genre. For those of you who do care about the genre though, I recommend you check this out, because it's more than just an Argento clone. Expect red herrings aplenty.