Fargo - TV Series

Tools    

Got impatient so watched the second episode not on my UK TV Another great episode, loved the two characters inspired from the original film, funny how they took the idea of Buscemi's character not speaking, to being literally not able to. Awesome to see Glenn Howerton and it'll be interesting to see how his story now develops.

Also notice how those two guys are dressed like the main characters from Midnight Cowboy, I thought that was pretty cool.

I like the way the characters are developing. I like the way deputy Molly has Marge Gunderson's tenaciousness. I like the Coenesque feel of some of the scenes, the way they have things happening in the background that're never commented on such as the butchering going on at the window of the supermarket office and the feel of the post office depot.

I can only echo what you have said. This has a massive Coen Brothers feel too it so far, not just Fargo, but all of their movies. The supermarket king reminded me of Nathan Arizona and the whole blackmail thing with Billy Bob Thornton is obviously similar to The Man Who Wasn't There, with his overall character similar to Anton Chigurh.

Only two episodes in, but I'm loving this show so far. Once everything's said and done, I can see myself being a bigger fan of the show than the movie.

I'm three or so episodes in and I'm finding it a bit of a disappointment, I'm afraid. I enjoyed the first one and thought it set up the rest of the series prominently but it just seems to have got slower and slower.

I have been drifting in and out at times, though, so perhaps I ought to give it another watch sometime.

Just watched the fifth episode. I'm enjoying it, but I hope it begins to feel its groove (or at least improve its groove) soon.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm starting to really feel as if this is picking up some steam. Feels like tendrils are starting to lace together, and I had a few "aha!" moments during this past episode on Tuesday. Plus, I am thoroughly enjoying some of my favorite actors in this show -- Oliver Platt and Colin Hanks and Martin Freeman and, of course, Mr. Thornton.

I am the Watcher in the Night
great show! I went in with minimal expectations and came away feeling woooooooo. I'm a tad behind cos of the UK showing, think I'm on ep 4. The one where Malvo finds out where Gus lives. Thornton is creepy as hell and Freeman shows us a completely different side.

I'm actually liking this more than the movie, which felt far too dull at times yet I haven't dislikes a single episode of this. Keep it coming!

Best debut shows, True Detective and Fargo!

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

This past episode was one of the best yet, especially the last 20 minutes or so in the blizzard.

Yep last episode was brilliant, that and the first are my favourites I think.

Kind of related, have you guys all seen this:

BBT comes across as a complete c*nt, I don't know what's going on, but my god it is hilarious. The monster magazine part had laughing so much, it's like some random conversation his Fargo character would have.

Caught up in one big rush over the last two days or so. Really love it. Not really seeing the slow down that was mentioned. I guess the pace of the first episode is pretty insane, but I've found it totally compelling through.

I think it's pretty much perfectly taken the film's universe and expanded it, without losing the feel. And the way it's tied back into the film here and there is really elegant.

Really love it. Bummed to go from "6 episodes in the bank" to "waiting for a new one each week."

And, on a more general note, I really like that we're seeing more experimental shows like this, that may just end up standing alone as mini-series', or be expanded or turned into an anthology as they go. It's a nice way to get around the demand for narrative momentum that I wrote about in the essay about character arcs awhile back. It also has the benefit of (I think) attracting higher-caliber acting talent, knowing they don't necessarily have to commit to a long-running series.

Watched ep 7 "Who shaves the barber". This really is inspired tv.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
I'm so happy Molly's still here, it's such a great play on Marge Gunderson's original cop in the film. Her stunned demeanour at the end was great acting. That shoot out inside the building with the mirrored windows! Utterly brilliant! And Lester's deviousness! I love it all to pieces!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have loved this series so far but I am currently a few episodes behind.

Well, then stay out of this thread for a bit, because last night's episode was...eventful.

WARNING: "Episode 8" spoilers below
Boy, when that music picked up and the camera drifted I thought "crap, Malvo's right outside that car and he's gonna shoot Gus." The music definitely had to mean something major was about to happen, so when it kept drifting the number of possibilities kept dwindling. It didn't make any sense as a mere stylistic flourish so I was primed for something dramatic.

Cool stuff. Great show. Really enjoying it. And I think the jump makes sense, because most shows are artificially condensed, in terms of their own timeline. But this is good because it gives Solverson and Key and Peele time to stew, which is going to make their doggedness a lot more meaningful.

Speculation: lots of characters could end up in lots of places, but the one prediction I feel strongest about is Lester getting a comeuppance. Not being able to outrun your actions is a recurring theme for the Coens, and the show feels like it's seized on it in ways both large and small.

My favorite episode so fsr. I love how we continue to get easter eggs from the movie but they also manage to subvert our expectstions all the time. I agree with Yoda about Lester. No way he is off free and clear. Malvo Im not so sure about but I hate the smug bastard. So you know I am hoping for some justice there. Not optimistic though.