Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

When you say "it's not for everyone" can you elaborate? Is the pace slow?
The pace is not slow to me. You will have to see for yourself if you like it. I’m no good at movie reviews.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Dr. Steven Murphy is a renowned cardiovascular surgeon who presides over a spotless household with his wife and two children. Lurking at the margins of his idyllic suburban existence is Martin, a fatherless teen who insinuates himself into the doctor's life in gradually unsettling ways. Soon, the full scope of Martin's intent becomes menacingly clear when he confronts Steven with a long-forgotten transgression that will shatter his domestic bliss forever.

This is a slow beautiful, terrifying film and you really can't talk about it because it's sooooo slow. I believe it's based on a Greek Tragedy it certainly feels that way. The big warning when going into this film is everyone acts very strange. If you get the chance to see this is the theater you should because no way will you not end playing on your phone or falling asleep if you rent this.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I loved reading your review, matti, and part of me wants to watch this to try to understand how this kind of thinking came about. It would also shed light on things like 'the yellow peril' with Vietnamese 'boat people' (asylum seekers) coming into my country in the 80s, (I dont know ifn you guys had this hysteria in sweden, and, now islamophobia. Would be really interesting but also deeply distressing and I imagine that would last inside your mind for days. Not sure if I could handle it.

The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938)

Cracking little mystery thriller as long as you've got the patients to get through the rather cumbersome first twenty odd minutes

The Unbereable Lightness of Being (1988)

I had heard that Rotten Tomatoes was withholding reviews on it until the day before, and thought that this was a strange move. I was under the impression that Warner Brothers owned RT, but I have recently checked up on it and apparently WB owns 30% while Comcast owns 70%.

I just wanted to mention that it may not be beneath Comcast to do something like this, or make changes to their algorithm to mark less favorable review as more positive.

2nd time viewing. Wow, what a movie! Electrifying performance from Linda Fiorentino, one that should have earned her an Oscar nomination. This is such a twisted, yet expertly made noir thriller with solid supporting performances from Peter Berg, and Bill Pullman. Flawless direction from John Dahl, who directed another excellent noir thriller that I love, Red Rock West. Fiorentino's character in this film is the quintessential femme fatale.

9.5/10

I think I'm right in saying that The Last Seduction was first shown on TV and, therefore, wasn't eligible for the Oscars. Same with Croupier and a couple of other films in the 90's.

Prezít svuj zivot (teorie a praxe) [Surviving Life (Theory And Practice)] (Jan Svankmajer, 2010)
+
In reality life is but a dream

Rough Night isn't a terrible film per say but it gets more things wrong than right. This Hangover/Ghostbusters(2015) hybrid tries very hard to make women funny but much like how Chris Hemsworth stole the show in Ghostbusters the men stole the shot in Rough Night. Mush like with how in Ghostbusters Wiig and McCarthey both tried to play the Bill Murray role, three of the women tried to play the Zach Gallifankis role. The humor is also very soft R where if you are making a film like this you need to shock the audience it doesn't do that.

But don't get me wrong it's watchable and some of the jokes work it's just a deeply flawed and uninspired film. It just works best when the leads are off the screen.

The Selfish Giant

Liked this alot. I could relate to it a scary amount, knew plenty of people like Arbor and Swifty growing up and could completely recognize their behaviours. The school scene for instance easily could have been one of my classes at school; Arbor has an anger and attention problem and once he was given in trouble he initially got stubborn then cocky when his classmates started laughing which to him means approval whether they were laughing at or with him, it all felt real to me in the way every character acted throughout. The troubled kids at my schools often had similar homelifes to Arbor and Swifty and these kids often had one or two friends who were similar to them while everyone else shunned them, plenty of them never finished school and i've since heard of plenty of them going to prison. Even down to the mother who cares but has a really tough situation that prevents her from providing everything she is supposed to, obviously this isn't a universal situation but it was really close to the people like this i knew growing up. Well i mean the scrapyards and horses are definitely alien to me haha, but overall it was close. I definitely didn't treat those kids well when i was a kid, won't go into it i mean i wasn't a bully but i also wasn't particularly nice to them and that's always been a regret of mine. Think stuff like this gets to me because whether it's close to reality or not it feels like an insight into the troubles those kids faced that i didn't myself and i feel really sorry about some of their situations now, stuff like this grounds me and makes me recognize how privileged i was basically. More than anything i'm a sucker for British working class films.

Good performances, was crazy seeing Paddy and Carl from Shameless in this. Very good, could have liked it more but even though the main conflict was inevitable i wasn't that into it, probably because it was so obvious it was coming.
WARNING: "Selfish" spoilers below
Think it was all too predictable: when we learned they were friends they were of course going to fall out, when Kitten was introduced it was obvious that they were going to cross him, Swifty's connection to the horses was very clearly going to be involved in both of those things and the involvement of cables and live electrical wires made one of their deaths by electrocution easy to foresee. Kind of felt like i was just waiting for it all to happen. Not sure why the hug with Swifty's mum didn't resonate with me as much as it should have either.
I did love alot about it though as i said.

+