The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen Home Alone, and I thought the movie was okay, but I think it's an overrated movie.

I was planning to watch at least one of the Austin Powers movies for this countdown because I expected at least one of them to make the countdown, but I watched the trailers, and I hated the main character, so I skipped the movies. They just don't seem like my type of humor, and I had other movies to watch that I knew would have a better chance to make my list.

Victim of The Night
FWIW, I've seen 6/6 so far.
Fargo is the best film but was not in consideration at all for me for this list.
South Park is probably the straight-up funniest of the films so far (with respect to AP).
The Lady Eve is the film I am probably most likely to watch again (though Fargo is close).
I would only watch Home Alone again if someone I really like really wanted to. Otherwise I will never see that one again and I'll be fine with that.
None of the films so far made my list and only The Lady Eve made even the longest version of the list that I made (60-70 movies).

but I watched the trailers, and I hated the main character,
Austin Powers being awful is kind of the point.

From the viewer's perspective he's unattractive, rude, can't fight, and dumb as a sack of bricks. But in-universe he's functionally James Bond.

Part of the conceit of the first movie is that he time travels to the 90s where he has no public reputation and the daughter of his 60s-era Bond Girl share's the audience's low opinion of him.

@Diehl40, I happen to notice that The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels have the same number of points and are on the same number of ballots (saying the latter in case that's deemed a tie-breaker).

For the sake of talking about these lists, shouldn't that be a tie? Does the site not support ties for the lists? (I guess the latter is more of a @Yoda question).

For the sake of talking about these lists, shouldn't that be a tie? Does the site not support ties for the lists? (I guess the latter is more of a @Yoda question).
I’m not Yoda or Diehl, obviously, but as the host of a previous countdown, we break every tie. If two movies have have an equal number of votes and an equal number of points, then traditionally the higher place is given to the one with the highest ranking single vote.

For example, in the animation countdown, A Bug’s Life and Tarzan each got 5 votes and 57 points, but someone had Tarzan as their number one while the highest voter for A Bug’s Life had it at six so Tarzan placed higher on the countdown. I posted voting stats in that countdown so you can see what I mean here.

Also as a former host of one of these as well - in the pre-1930 list we even had to drop down a level further as two fillums were tied on points, lists and highest placement so the finishing order for those two was decided on the number of those highest placements each received. God knows what I'd have done had those also been equal, might've had to resort to the most number of letters in the title or something

Home Alone is the quintessential Christmas movie for me, and I am not even a Christian. But it, and its sequels, come on the telly every December and I never get tired of watching them.

Fargo is a brilliant dark comedy.

64 points, 4 lists
Withnail & I
Director

Bruce Robinson, 1987

Starring

Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths, Ralph Brown

64 points, 5 lists
Evil Dead II
Director

Sam Raimi, 1987

Starring

Bruce Campbell, Sarah Berry, Dan Hicks, Kassie DePaiva

Hey, I've actually seen one of these It's not Withnail & I though, simply has never really appealed to me from the clips I've seen. On the other hand (yeah, I know - sorry) Raimi's Evil Dead II is a fun enough ride and might have been in contention for a spot on my ballot had I made one.

Seen: 3/8
My Ballot: what ballot?

Trivia: Withnail & I The first review appeared to be a disaster. The entire audience sat stone-faced throughout the screening the audience sat stone-faced, not laughing once. It was only after the screening was over, that Bruce Robinson (the director) discovered that the audience was comprised entirely of non-English speaking Germans that were staying at a hotel nearby.

Hmmm...two that I haven't seen.

While this is the first placement for Withnail & I on a MoFo list, Evil Dead 2 was #58 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s List, #42 on the initial MoFo Top 100 Horror Films, and moved up to #26 on the reboot of the Horror list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I like Withnail quite a bit, extremely quoteable and Grant, McGann, and Griffiths are mesmerizing, though on balance I probably prefer Bruce Robinson's insane follow up How to Get Ahead in Advertising, also starring the marvelous Richard E. Grant. Neither were in real consideration for my list, though likely would have been in contention for a Top 25 Comedies of the 1980s ballot for me.

I have seen all three of the Evil Dead flicks numerous times as well as the "Ash vs Evil Dead" series, though I would not label myself a true fanboy of the Evil Dead nor of Raimi. But I certainly get their appeal, especially as a vehicle for Bruce Campbell. I have a couple Horror Comedies on my list and cut a third as one of my last revisions, but I did not ever have Evil Dead 2 anywhere near contention. Even among the subset of Horror Comedy hybrids it would maybe squeak into the bottom few of my top ten. But with the number of MoFo Horror fans and the indelible, rubber-faced Campbell I can't say I am surprised it popped here.

I’m not Yoda or Diehl, obviously, but as the host of a previous countdown, we break every tie. If two movies have have an equal number of votes and an equal number of points, then traditionally the higher place is given to the one with the highest ranking single vote.

For example, in the animation countdown, A Bug’s Life and Tarzan each got 5 votes and 57 points, but someone had Tarzan as their number one while the highest voter for A Bug’s Life had it at six so Tarzan placed higher on the countdown. I posted voting stats in that countdown so you can see what I mean here.
Interesting. I'm guessing the need to pick an order is coming from forum preference? Asking because I'm thinking of the BFI Sight & Sound poll where they're perfectly content with ties (granted, that is an unweighted ballot, so there wouldn't be a tie-breaking mechanism), and for some reason, I kind of like it.

Since it sounds like Yoda controls the source code for the site (though I can't infer the extent of that control), I'm guessing it's not a technological limitation, but I do know if it can sometimes add an extra layer of complexity to support ties (e.g. these things are tied but we still need a consistent order to list them in. This top 100 list can have more than 100 items. Those types of thing.)

Reply to Topic