Rock's Cheapo Theatre of the Damned

→ in
Tools    

It’s designed to be said aloud. Like all the great hashtags.
Your hashtag contains wordplay, which will go over the heads of dum dums like me. My proposed changes wisely eliminate it, so that the hashtag can be understood by the masses.

We're building a movement here.

Your hashtag contains wordplay, which will go over the heads of dum dums like me. My proposed changes wisely eliminate it, so that the hashtag can be understood by the masses.

We're building a movement here.
If you make these changes, it’ll be a bowel movement!

Funny, I assumed it was gonna be Sextool at first, and then...

Lol

I have that on my watchlist but have been putting it off. A lot of my Letterboxd follows are quite positive on it, but they also make it sound pretty gnarly in terms of the acts depicted.

My mission to watch only quality movies from now on backfired horrifically with a viewing of John Ford's Tobacco Road, which looks like it might be a classic on the surface but is actually full of the most grating characters and unfunny "comedy" I can remember in quite some time. William Tracy gives one of the most unpleasant performances I've seen in a movie. It's like Ford remade The Grapes of Wrath but wants you to hate the Joad family and root for their violent demise.

That's it, no more "good" movies. This thread is gonna be only garbage from now on.

My mission to watch only quality movies from now on backfired horrifically with a viewing of John Ford's Tobacco Road, which looks like it might be a classic on the surface but is actually full of the most grating characters and unfunny "comedy" I can remember in quite some time. William Tracy gives one of the most unpleasant performances I've seen in a movie. It's like Ford remade The Grapes of Wrath but wants you to hate the Joad family and root for their violent demise.
So.... has anybody else seen this?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's one of Ford's worst. It was based on a very popular play but either the play itself or this adaptation sucked. I think it was supposed to be some kind of spoof/satire of hillbillies but it's so broad it's hard to tell. I've warmed to it a little, but when I first saw it, I turned away my head in embarrassment at much of it.

So.... has anybody else seen this?
I have not but this note in the Wikipedia entry is pretty alarming: "To portray Dude, William Tracy had to diet and lose teeth." Emphasis mine, cause yikes. May explain the performance, though.

It's one of Ford's worst. It was based on a very popular play but either the play itself or this adaptation sucked. I think it was supposed to be some kind of spoof/satire of hillbillies but it's so broad it's hard to tell. I've warmed to it a little, but when I first saw it, I turned away my head in embarrassment at much of it.
From this quote (from an interview cited on the Wikipedia page), it sounded like Ford softened the material in adapting it.

"We have no dirt in the picture. We've eliminated the horrible details and what we've got left is a nice dramatic story. It's a tear-jerker, with some comedy relief. What we're aiming at is to have the customers sympathize with our people and not feel disgusted."

But THIS was the result?!? Yikes.

I have not but this note in the Wikipedia entry is pretty alarming: "To portray Dude, William Tracy had to diet and lose teeth." Emphasis mine, cause yikes. May explain the performance, though.

I assume he lost a bunch of brain cells too, judging by his performance.

I realize I've seen a few other films with him, but I don't remember him being anywhere this unpleasant. It was a conscious choice for him to be this shrill.

Jeeze, it sounds like if I wanted to watch that, I'd just watch Friday the 13th part V again.
F13 V at least has enough mercy on the audience to kill off its characters. But yes, this has non-stop shouting and characters being as annoying as possible.

I've found when I've moved away from the obvious classics he made, I don't really gel much with Ford's films. The Informer is probably the only one off the beaten track that I am a big fan of. The rest are the usual suspects (Stagecoach, Searchers, Grapes of Wrath)

I've found when I've moved away from the obvious classics he made, I don't really gel much with Ford's films. The Informer is probably the only one off the beaten track that I am a big fan of. The rest are the usual suspects (Stagecoach, Searchers, Grapes of Wrath)
I'm tempted to recommend it to you given your fondness for shouty, aggressively unlikable movies, but I also suspect it's too polished for you to be won over by its unlikability.

I'm tempted to recommend it to you given your fondness for shouty, aggressively unlikable movies, but I also suspect it's too polished for you to be won over by its unlikability.

But I also like things that contrast form and content in irritating, not helpful ways. So maybe you should be recommending it after all.

But I also like things that contrast form and content in irritating, not helpful ways. So maybe you should be recommending it after all.
I'll add the "watch at your own risk" disclaimer that I usually apply to the morally reprehensible garbage I review.

Okay, Yentl washed the taste of Tobacco Road out of my mouth. I suppose some of these "good" movies are actually good.

Guys, watch Yentl. It's great!