15th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle, 1994)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/15/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching:15th Hall of Fame, nominated by @edarsenal
Rewatch: No.

Well that was a good bit of morbid, violent fun.

I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it. I think the only other Danny Boyle films I’ve see were 28 Days Later, which I barely remember at all having seen it only once many years ago, and The Beach, which I have mixed feelings about. But right away I was drawn in. The film’s main trio of characters are a**holes – and we learn this from the very start. They take pleasure in tormenting others for their own amusement and we never really see a redeeming side to any of them nor do we ever learn much about them as people.

And yet, their journey from a relatively carefree existence, to one of paranoia, fear, deceit and violence is a really fascinating watch. As they began to turn on each other I found myself a bit conflicted as to which a**hole – if any – I wanted to see walk away with the prize and ultimately I was happy with the outcome.

But, aside from an entertaining story, there’s not a whole lot to say about this one as I really didn’t notice anything else. I suppose the cinematography and score worked well enough; I have no complaints about either. The performances were fine, but I don’t feel like these were roles that really demanded much of the people playing them.

All in all a good way to spend 90 minutes, but not anything I would consider particularly memorable.

+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
In the Mood for Love

I saw that this film was on the Mofo countdown that we did in 2010 and then it didn't make the millennium list so I'm assuming people are fairly split on the film. I think the film does a lot of things well. First, the score is magnificent. I swear I've heard the main score theme before (I keep thinking Night on Earth, but maybe I'm crazy). Also the color palette is insanely awesome and the film is gorgeous. I can just imagine the transfer of how the criterion would look on a big screen TV. For the most part I was pretty cool with the characters and the two main leads did a real great job of making their situation feel rather genuine. The theme gives off an uneasy feeling but that's the way it's intended. I'd be lying if I said I was sometimes confused on who was who and it took things awhile to get sorted out.

This feels like a strange comparison, but it almost felt like Ozu meets Brief Encounter meets Cries and Whispers. I could see the Ozu craft, the story had a relationship that felt like Brief Encounters and the red color palette prevailed throughout the film. Whilst this won't go down as a favorite, it's something that in the long run I feel I'll have more admiration for than actual enjoyment for. It was a well directed film although it wasn't something that would usually be up my alley. It will be cool to hear people's thoughts though and I could see this one doing rather well.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Dir. John Cameron Mitchell
Starring: John Cameron Mitchell, Miriam Shor, Michael Pitt

Hedwig and the Angry Inch was actually nowhere near as campy as I was expecting it to be. The film manages to elegantly tackle serious themes, mostly through song lyrics, while still maintaining its glam rock-inspired style. While Hedwig's brand of self-aware humour is entertaining, I never audibly laughed, though I appreciated the quick, amusing references to people like Immanuel Kant which, along with a number that was basically lifted from Plato's Symposium, help to emphasise the underlying philosophical nature of Hedwig's journey and struggle with acceptance both from others and from within.

I was relieved to discover that Mitchell's vocal performances were recorded live on set, since a major problem I have with some musicals is that disconnect between the on-screen performance and an obviously studio recorded vocal track, which frequently has distracting lip synchronization issues. Thankfully that was avoided here, and Mitchell's emotional performances are easily the highlight of the film. The other actors were mostly unremarkable, though that is likely a consequence of the film's intentional focus on Hedwig's character.

As a first time director, Mitchell also does an amazing job with the visual aesthetics. I loved the difference between the current scenes and the flashbacks to Hedwig's youth in Germany, which along with a loss of warmth, came with an amusing drop in film quality as well. Brighter, more vibrant colours at the start are a great match for Hedwig's personality and style, but they begin to fade throughout the course of the film, with the final performance taking place in an almost entirely black and white setting. I always enjoy when a film's visual style changes to reflect the story or a character's mental state, and that is certainly the case with Hedwig.

This is a film that I was a little uncertain about while watching, but it really grew on me by the halfway point. The more I reflect on what I've seen, the more I appreciate what the film does well. If nothing else, it's certainly a unique experience.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hedwig.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	41803  

In the Mood for Love

I saw that this film was on the Mofo countdown that we did in 2010 and then it didn't make the millennium list so I'm assuming people are fairly split on the film. I think the film does a lot of things well. First, the score is magnificent. I swear I've heard the main score theme before (I keep thinking Night on Earth, but maybe I'm crazy). Also the color palette is insanely awesome and the film is gorgeous. I can just imagine the transfer of how the criterion would look on a big screen TV. For the most part I was pretty cool with the characters and the two main leads did a real great job of making their situation feel rather genuine. The theme gives off an uneasy feeling but that's the way it's intended. I'd be lying if I said I was sometimes confused on who was who and it took things awhile to get sorted out.

This feels like a strange comparison, but it almost felt like Ozu meets Brief Encounter meets Cries and Whispers. I could see the Ozu craft, the story had a relationship that felt like Brief Encounters and the red color palette prevailed throughout the film. Whilst this won't go down as a favorite, it's something that in the long run I feel I'll have more admiration for than actual enjoyment for. It was a well directed film although it wasn't something that would usually be up my alley. It will be cool to hear people's thoughts though and I could see this one doing rather well.

You actually got me in the mood foir my second watch. Maybe this weekend.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll definitely have to see it again there's a lot going on.

I'll probably rewatch Glory or Elephant Man next, but that won't be till Monday.

Wong Kar Wai films have the best scores. Dude is heavily inspired by Scorsese and i think his films probably have my favourite music since Scorsese.

Should try Chungking Express if you ever get the chance, Raul. Reminds me of Goodfellas and it might be my favourite film.

The Station Agent
(2003)

A week in the life of Finn, a dwarf aka 'little person'...
as we experience his world and the way people relate to him, after he relocates to an abandoned train station in rural New Jersey.

I liked it! This is a Citizen Rules type movie, it's the type of movie I would watch on my own. It was refreshing to see a film that wasn't preachy, wasn't in your face, and didn't spoonfeed the audience. The Station Agent is much more subtle that that. Subtle is something I look for in movies.

Another film with the same subject matter might have shown Finn being harassed and bullied because of his size. Then he would find a mentor, learn to fight back and triumph in the end. That would be cliched...and it's been done a zillion times.

Thank goodness The Station Agent is fresh and more grounded in reality. I'd call it a slice of life as most of what happens is low key. Finn only gets shoved around once, and it's not because he's a 'little person' but because he interferes in a scuffle between Michelle Williams' character and her redneck boyfriend. And yet on Finn's face we can see his inner emotions as he's pushed into a car, hurting his arm and unable to fend off the bigger guy. That scene says a lot about the inner workings of Finn's mind and how all the chance encounters he's had with people has made him withdrawn and untrusting of others.

He just wants to be left alone to read his books...and yet there are people who want to be his friend, if he can just put aside the past hurt and learn to trust them.

I liked Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson in this. I don't think I've seen Peter Dinklage before but I have seen Patricia Clarkson and always seem to like her and the movies she's in.

Good nom

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Station Agent 2003.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	41808  

@Miss Vicky

Feel ffee to send me any erotic litersgure gou've written. I'm a horn dog. My guess is thst it's private stock, but thought I'd ask.
You're not comfortable watching men being sexual with each other but you want to read it?

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you when I'm on my desktop computer. I'm on my Kindle right now.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I first saw this about 3 or 4 years ago, and although I think it's pretty fantastic, I may have overreacted to it at the time. It's just that there's not many musicals I really like, and this one seems so fresh and alive. With most musicals, it just feels so odd to me when characters randomly break into song and dance. This movie's musical numbers are so natural thanks to it being about a band. I usually don't like the music in most musicals, but I do like the music here. I think it's very funny, especially with the venues they play and getting to see the different reactions. Mixing with the humor is the serious side. I very much feel the long time struggle of the main character, and I think the performance by the lead actor is outstanding. It's just a very good movie and I don't have any negative thoughts. My rating feels strict for what I think of it.

You're not comfortable watching men being sexual with each other but you want to read it?

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you when I'm on my desktop computer. I'm on my Kindle right now.
Oh wait,..OK, it's gay erotica, right, gotcha. Ha! No, I'm good. If you have any girl on girl action, or even hetero relations, I'd give it a read.

I've had Miss Vicky's novel for like a year now. Have you read it yet replaced WATCH HEDWIG as her go to line of abuse funnily enough.

I did start reading it but stopped because i went to Ireland then when i came back i got really into Soviet History and read a long biography of Joseph Stalin. Will get back to it!

Glory (1989)
Director: Edward Zwick

I thought I had seen this in high school but I mistook it for The Mission, I had never seen this film before 3 nights ago.

It's a fine movie. The action scenes of war are very powerful and visceral. One scene of extreme gore sets up the tone. At first I thought the character of Colonel Shaw was a coward because he layed down in the first battle scene, and then was found by Morgan Freeman's character, and then we see him at a dinner party and his confidence level seems very shaky, as if he just accidentally dropped acid and is having a bad trip. Soon enough I witnessed an incredible transformation of the character from limp and weak looking to affirmative and commanding, which took me by surprise because I honestly didn't think Matthew Broderick the actor had that in him. I was impressed.

I was also impressed with the acting of Denzel Washington, who rarely does a botch job of any role he takes. Add to the list Andre Braugher and of course Morgan Freeman, who basically can act in his sleep with his usual notes.

I was deeply touched at the whipping scene, not only because the company was opening up old wounds, but because of the words expressed on Shaw's face. Sublime characterizations here. I have a hard time discussing slavery, and an even harder time thinking about all of our brothers and sisters who were mistreated in the most vile of ways. I don't chalk my "white guilt" up as the reason. I believe a great debt is owed to the black people, and it starts with a hysterical apology, an apology that isn't just pent up gas from fear or family bloodlines. I feel I have a devastating understanding of what it's like and how it must feel to this day knowing that half or more of the world, at one time, was the devil to you and shamed you into a hellish prison of self doubt and pain, heartbreak and everything else that can come with that. I need to stop, I'm getting off track.

I was affected.

I don't have any real gripes with this movie. It was made in such a way to be an award winner, there's no doubt about it. War is dirty, no one wins, etc, etc. That was easy enough to take away. I did feel the score by James Horner bordered on cloying a few times, but I think that was the era in which this film was made. 1989. Nothing else would indicate this film is from that year. Not to me. It seems very modern. I had the luxury of spreading out the dialog, sound and music between 7.1 channels, and my roof almost blew off. It was a rich experience on blu ray, pumping though surround sound, but I still got the movie without it being colored from the superficial means in which I watched it. Superficial isn't the right word. Hell, I recommend everyone take film watching as serious as a home theater system. 35mm film print and original mix with an added bonus of more dimensional separation.

I'm getting off track again.

American Graffiti (1973)
Director: George Lucas

This is a fabulous movie. I wasn't sure going in that I would get much out of it besides someone else's lifetime and memories, but I was mistaken. I dug the characters, their dreams and plight, ambitions, or lack of. This was a nice mix of cruising around to Wolfman Jack and great music, and goofy scenarios that mostly take place at night for a real cozy feeling of what it must have been like to meet new people, flirt, act deranged, and just be a kid at heart, going after what you want in the early 1960's.

I had forgotten Richard Dreyfuss was in this. His role is indicative of what would follow in his career. He's a bit of a sophisticated fella. He has a faint cockiness to him that lets his comedy come through proper. I've always liked that about him. He's a real dude.

There are a lot of attractive women/girls in this picture, and one scene, in particular, this chick cruising, talking about college out her window on the passenger's side - she just has the most fantastic smile. Lucas really cast this movie right.

You know how some movies take you through adventures with different people and seem to have all of the ingredients lined up for a classic but somehow you could care less? Well, I was afraid this movie would be just that. It wasn't. I really had a good time with this film, and it hit the spot big time. It has that "it" factor, and time has not robbed it of that that one iota.

The music had an interesting characteristic, too - aside from being good and agreeable music - there was this floating effect that you can hear. For example, as Dreyfuss's character is looking out the back seat window, and then back to the front seat again, and then to the side out the window - the music follows his auditory pov. It swims in and out of clarity and swells and recedes volume, accordingly. On my surround sound I almost lost my mind. Strangely enough, I can't blame it on my setup. Apparently this film was intentionally mixed this way. It's a design of the foley, and my blu ray version was a simple 2.0 stereo mix so..wild stuff!

Anyway, the ending was great! Really was. The quick account of what happened to our characters is sprawled on the screen in a bittersweet manner, and, at first, I thought this may have been a bad editorial choice, but quickly I shifted my thinking. This was a perfect way to gain access into our hearts and make us care even more for these people. This is a timeless film from a very specific time in 1963. I really love it, and will never, ever watch that sequel! I want to keep it clean.

Let the night air cool you off
no u.

If you had written gay erotica featuring Joseph Stalin i probably would have read it by now. You should probably think about that.

He does look like an overweening, cocksure young man.

He does look like an overweening, cocksure young man.
He's clearly thinking which ideology is the best for me to grab onto and eventually take over, to become Emperor of quarter of the planet.

Would love to see the picture of Dmitry Slavin, the Monarchist version of him that was executed before his 30th birthday.