Great directors with the longest drought?

Tools    

Eastwood made Gran Torino in 2008. I've heard good things about American Sniper, but just not on this forum.
I never thought I'd cite Seth Rogan but he's pretty dead on when he says it reminds him of the film showing in theater at the end of Inglourious Basterds

I never thought I'd cite Seth Rogan but he's pretty dead on when he says it reminds him of the film showing in theater at the end of Inglourious Basterds
I on the other hand think he is high. Which is a distinct possibility.

I used that comparison when I did a review of Fury last year. I think it's a little harsh, and whilst certain parts are "Hollywoodised" in order to make the narrative more compelling for certain viewers, I think Eastwood attempts to make something more than just a propaganda film, it attempts to deal with showing what a soldier faces during war and also at home, whilst it might not be entirely accurate, it's a moving piece that makes you think morally about what soldiers face, and their mindset. Eastwood himself is anti-war, so I'm not really sure that all the complaints add up. I had my reservations going in, and I don't think the guy portrayed was without his troubles, but it's a good film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree with everyone! I'll add Scorsese too.

The sad thing is, the great directors who started in the 30's or 40's couldn't get a job because of the "Film Schoolers" - Billy Wilder couldn't get into an office. I could go on and on... It was nice for Coppola to help out Kurosawa.

I think the new studio heads are stockbrokers.. They're looking for young directors, and couldn't care less about the guys who made the greatest films ever, since they're "old" and won't be here forever. At least back in the day, the heads were businessmen, but also loved movies. Even a Republican like Zanuck did something.

Crazy to think you can make so many great movies of all time in the 70's then basically do nothing since. Did his experience on Apoc Now make him lose the plot permanently?
It is crazy. It seems to prove that sometimes being more experienced doesn't necessarily translate to better films.

A system of cells interlinked
Fincher, Rodent? Now you are trollin, bro...

Please watch Zodiac again! Social Network? Great flick - won tons of awards.

Please choose directors that actually fit the criteria of the thread. Maybe read the criteria again...

Michael Cimino - He did The Deer Hunter and the extended cut of Heaven's Gate is supposedly good but everything else is pretty bad. The Sicilian, yuck, I shutter to think about that atrocity.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Ooh ooh ooh!

Tim Burton.

Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks (yes, I like it), Sleepy Hollow in 1999 was the last decent movie he made.
Disagree! Sweeney Todd was a later Tim Burton film, and I think It's one of his best. It gets bashed for Burton's overuse of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, but that's not fair. It has excellent cinematography, a plot that sucker punches the viewer right in the feels, and I LOVED Sasha Baron Cohen's bit as a phony Italian barber. Also, Big Fish is brilliant. Really, only Willy Wonka, Alice in Wonderland, and Planet of the Apes fall flat for me. Studio mandated Tim Burton is really not Tim Burton at all. LOL.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I will agree with Ridley Scott, but I will say he did a very good job with Blackhawk Down and has not done anything that good since. American Gangster was pretty good, but not great.

But I think the guy who has had the longest drought is Francis Ford Coppola who has not made a great movie since Apocalypse Now in 79.
I think Copolla is done, but he has already made a place for himself in cinematic history.