Saw 3d

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
SAW 3D

The Saw series ends on a high note.

Hoffman continues the game that Jigsaw started and must cover up all his tracks. After surviving a trap himself, he sets out to kill the person who put him in it. Jigsaw's wife, Jill.

I went into Saw 3d with mixed excitement. The last few Saw films have gotten more outrageous than the last and even more complicated. Even though Saw VI was a step up, I didn't expect them to keep it up. Much to my surprise, Saw 3D is one of the best entries in the series. So what can you expect from this one? Well, elaborate traps, blood and gore and of course twists. Exactly what the series has always been, but this time it was fun. The 3D aspect didn't add much, it was used to throw things at the screen in whichever trap.

Dr. Gordon from the original returns here, we finally get to see what happened to him after he sawed off his own foot. Why bring him back now? His screen time is significantly short, yet adds more layers to the already convoluted series. For me, I separate the first film from the others. I still think it stands alone in terms of story. It was never meant to be a series that has gone on this long, but I am interested and intrigued at how they continued it and branched it off into what we see every Halloween.

I still say that the most shocking ending was the first, with the second one right behind it. The rest became routine and this one is no exception. The kills however are the highlight. They are gory as hell, probably the goriest in the whole series. I was laughing and cheering with each death. Finally we have people working together in a trap and finally we get to see the original bear trap around the face work. It's been 7 or so years, but it finally worked.

The film follows two story lines. In one Hoffman is trying to get revenge on Jill. In the other Sean Patrick Flanery must go through a bunch of traps to save his friends and loved ones. This structure follows Saw III and Saw VI. I'm not complaining because both of those entries were decent. Each trap he comes to he sees someone that has helped him earn money from his lie. Each attempt at saving them either will end in success or failure. Since this is Saw and as I mentioned, one of the bloodiest ones yet, you can imagine what his success rate is.

I would also love to thank the editor, for once this film decides to ditch the hyper kinetic editing style. We can actually see what's going on now. There is one small scene where it is still employed, but the trap is very minimal that you don't care. It might have taken 7 films to finally realize that it was useless and distracting, but they did it.

I had a really fun time watching this entry and I hope it is the last, as they say it is. They said that about VI, but it was left open for another entry. This one seems to tie everything up, but there is always that chance, they could possibly continue the series, but with how things turned out I would simply beg the question why? I did that 4 films ago, but they were still intriguing at some level. Look to any other horror series that has more than 4 films and the quality dips drastically. Saw doesn't. Sure, they had some weak points V was pretty lame, but in the end, they all had some redeeming qualities about them. They all were connected on some form and it feels like one long story because they always pick up exactly where the previous one left off. My main interest in this series, aside from the gory deaths, would be to see how well they connect all the films.

I would have liked to have seen more characters make it through more films. It seems with each new one there is a new detective. At the same time there are so many characters from the previous films that I don't know which film they appeared in. They all seem to blend together and none of them stand out. The series should have ended with VI, it was the one that closed the series well. Change the ending to it and everything could have been great. Saw 3D ties up whatever loose ends Saw VI had. The Saw series was never made for critics, it is clearly a genre and fan tailored series. This entry will please those fans.

Suspect's Reviews

I thought the first Saw was good. It was unique and original. But every sequal after it was awful. I haven't seen the 3D one but don't think I could handle another one. They just got progressively worse and worse. They're milking this Saw franchise like it's the last cow on the farm.

They're milking this Saw franchise like it's the last cow on the farm.
But this last cow is producing so much milk that the studio doesn't see any reason to stop.

I know they are bad films, but to me, they are enjoyable bad films.
I agree with Usual.
Horror movies have that thing associated with them.. The first ones are classic.. But the rest are done to please the fans & make some more money.

I only wish Evil Dead had followed this trend... Bruce Campbell would have had more work.
Most people hate these sequels, but it only strengthens the fanbase, whether we like it or not.

Few months ago I saw this film called The Collector, it was similar to Saw.
I loved it.. I wish they would make a sequel to it. but sadly I don't think it's possible coz it wans't that successful.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Few months ago I saw this film called The Collector, it was similar to Saw.
I loved it.. I wish they would make a sequel to it. but sadly I don't think it's possible coz it wans't that successful.
I liked it and I didn't. I thought it was imaginative and the premise was interesting, but the rest of it fell flat for me.

Day 19: May 19th, 2010

The Collector

Throw Plausibility Out The Door.

When a thief enters a house he was working construction at, he is under the impression he will be stealing a diamond. He has debts to pay off. When he enters he notices that there is someone else in the house too, an insane serial killer. He's known as The Collector. It becomes a cat and mouse game between the two.

Here is my review of The Collector

Love all the saw movies, the ideas behind them are just unreal how much thought and detail went into them. Would love to see this in 3d, but what i heard you dont really miss much seeing it in 2d

I've gone to see every Saw film with the same friends its kind of a tradition. We go for the gore and the cheap laughs it gives us. Come on.. Saw gave up all its credibility 5-6 movies ago if it had any to begin with, there isn't anything there other then gore and cheap laughs. I enjoyed the first few traps but they progressively got worse as the movie went on, the hanging guy.. he just gets hanged.. exciting. We see these movies for the gore not the story but this story is so bad and is stretched so far over this last movie to bring it to a end its painful. Dragging up those old characters.. just seemed cheap. The whole movie came across cheap and thats saying something if I wasn't expecting much going in, yeah it filled the need, all the blood and guts we wanted but Saw fans deserved more if this was the last one.

I know they are bad films, but to me, they are enjoyable bad films.
Agreed. in 3D TOO!! haha I can't wait till the 3D technology gets better and more realistic.