Famous movies you haven't seen

Tools    

I will take it by decade, based on Letterboxd popularity index...

1920s: Sunrise, Man with a Movie Camera
1930s: City Lights, Bringing Up Baby
1940s: Fantasia, The Red Shoes
1950s: Alice in Wonderland, Ikiru
1960s: Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Sound of Music
1970s: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease
1980s: My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service
1990s: Perfect Blue, Chungking Express
2000s: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Howl's Moving Castle (you sense a theme?)
2010s: Joker, The Grand Budapest Hotel
2020s: The Batman, Everything Everywhere All at Once

I also don't tend to like musicals so have no intention of watching La La Land.
Have you seen Once? It is the one I most recommend to people that "don't like musicals".

Summer with Monika
I know where I'm Going
Key Largo
One of our Aircraft is missing
Bad Timing
Performance
Un Flic
Johnny Guitar
The Rules of the Game
Frenzy
Went the Day Well
Modern Times
City Lights
Late Spring
Fat City

Rio Bravo
The Big Sleep
I've seen the ones in bold and I've liked them all to varying degrees. Maybe Johnny Guitar is the lesser one of those, and it's still a solid western. Late Spring and The Big Sleep are excellent, with Fat City being my third favorite of the bunch.

Infact if anyone can direct me where to start with Howard Hawks I'd appreciate it!
I've only seen three films from Hawks, and they run the gamut for me The Big Sleep is excellent, El Dorado (which I understand is the same story as the Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo) was an OK western, and His Girl Friday which I borderline disliked. However, I understand I'm in the minority regarding the latter.

Have you seen Once? It is the one I most recommend to people that "don't like musicals".
Yes. It's in my top 3 worst films I've ever seen (sorry ). I love Dancer in the Dark though, that's amazing.

I've seen the ones in bold and I've liked them all to varying degrees. Maybe Johnny Guitar is the lesser one of those, and it's still a solid western. Late Spring and The Big Sleep are excellent, with Fat City being my third favorite of the bunch.

I've only seen three films from Hawks, and they run the gamut for me The Big Sleep is excellent, El Dorado (which I understand is the same story as the Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo) was an OK western, and His Girl Friday which I borderline disliked. However, I understand I'm in the minority regarding the latter.

Yes. It's in my top 3 worst films I've ever seen (sorry ). I love Dancer in the Dark though, that's amazing.

Haven't seen Dancer in the Dark, but it's on my watchlist.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I will take it by decade, based on Letterboxd popularity index...

1920s: Sunrise, Man with a Movie Camera
1930s: City Lights, Bringing Up Baby
1940s: Fantasia, The Red Shoes
1950s: Alice in Wonderland, Ikiru
1960s: Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Sound of Music
1970s: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease
1980s: My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service
1990s: Perfect Blue, Chungking Express
2000s: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Howl's Moving Castle (you sense a theme?)
2010s: Joker, The Grand Budapest Hotel
2020s: The Batman, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Alice in Wonderland, Totoro, Chunking, and The Red Shoes are the four I'm most interested in seeing your response to.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

I quite enjoyed Once. I think it would make a list of 25 musicals for me. Closer to the bottom of that list but still.

#musicalsfornextcountdown

This is difficult to answer. There are literally thousands of films I haven't seen! Of the more well known I guess are your action / superhero types:

Marvel films, Dredd, John Wick, Deadpool, The Batman, Mad Max Fury Road, RRR.

I also don't tend to like musicals so have no intention of watching La La Land. And most kids movies I put on for the kids as I prefer something else so am not likely to watch Paddington, Inside Out etc. I also don't tend to like Oscar Bait dramas. So have not seen Green Book and won't be seeing that Tom Hanks remake 'A Man called Otto'

I guess the films that I want to watch but haven't, these are top of my ;list :

Summer with Monika
I know where I'm Going
Key Largo
One of our Aircraft is missing
Bad Timing
Performance
Un Flic
Johnny Guitar
The Rules of the Game
Frenzy
Went the Day Well
Modern Times
City Lights
Late Spring
Fat City
Rio Bravo
The Big Sleep

Infact if anyone can direct me where to start with Howard Hawks I'd appreciate it!
Late Spring is in my top 10 profile and Rio Bravo and The Big Sleep could easily be there too.

Alice in Wonderland, Totoro, Chunking, and The Red Shoes are the four I'm most interested in seeing your response to.
Alice in Wonderland is one I know I saw when I was a kid, but I just haven't seen it as an adult, so as far as I'm concerned, it would be a new watch.

I've only seen two Miyazaki/Ghibli films but my reaction to them wasn't that good, so I don't have high hopes for Totoro (or Kiki... or Howl), if/when I get to them.

The Red Shoes and Chungking have been in my radar for a while. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Red Shoes around.

I quite enjoyed Once. I think it would make a list of 25 musicals for me. Closer to the bottom of that list but still.

#musicalsfornextcountdown
It would easily crack my Top 5 musicals.