The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I just watched The Man From Nowhere. Yo that movie was pretty ****ing cool.

Victim of The Night
Glitch or not, those repeated posts from CharlesAoup are a good joke.

I have heard good things. Will watchlist it.
It's light and fun and plucky. That's all you can ask of it.

Victim of The Night
I think it speaks to how many movies I loved from this decade that I keep having to go back to my list to confirm whether certain films were on my ballot or not.
Man, I need to get your list.
I had the exact opposite reaction to doing this Countdown, I found it a real challenge to come up with 25 films I thought were worthy to be on a list at all. The idea that 100 films worth even noting were made in that decade seemed crazy to me and I thought (privately) that we should only do a Top-50 at most.
It is true that I accidentally left two movies that would have made my Top-10 off the list, but that only means that two movies I thought were merely good probably would not have included at all to begin with wouldn't have made my list.

107 points, 8 lists
Before Midnight
Director

Richard Linklater, 2013

Starring

Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick, Jennifer Prior

107 points, 12 lists
Gone Girl
Director

David Fincher, 2014

Starring

Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens

Man, I need to get your list.
I had the exact opposite reaction to doing this Countdown, I found it a real challenge to come up with 25 films I thought were worthy to be on a list at all. The idea that 100 films worth even noting were made in that decade seemed crazy to me and I thought (privately) that we should only do a Top-50 at most.
It is true that I accidentally left two movies that would have made my Top-10 off the list, but that only means that two movies I thought were merely good probably would not have included at all to begin with wouldn't have made my list.

Are you asking for 100, top 100 movies worthy movies, or 100 top 25 worthy movies?

Because there are a lot of good dramas such as A Separation, Amour, Holy Motors (okay, not a drama), Certified Copy, Like Someone in Love, The Rider, Leave No Trace, etc, that I mostly didn't even consider (a couple still slipped in) because I often don't find myself with a strong inclination to revisit them a decade out. But if I was going out to top 50 (or maybe top 75), they'd start piling up on my list.

So, by that standard, I don't know if I could think up 100 movies that are top 25 worthy by my frame of mind, I'd probably be able to think up 100 movies that are top-50 worthy.

It also helps going to the letterboxd diary on that front, filtering movies by release date (2010s) with the filter of "watched status: watched," because there's a lot of movies from the early 2010's one easily forgets about.

Trivia

Before Midnight - Dedicated to the memory of Amy Lehrhaupt, the woman who was the inspiration for Before Sunrise (1995). Richard Linklater had spent a night walking and talking around Philadelphia with her in 1989. Though initially they stayed in touch over the telephone, they lost contact eventually. In 1994, Linklater started shooting "Before Sunrise" and when the world premiere was about to take place, Linklater was secretly hoping that Amy would show up but she did not. Ten years later, Linklater shot the sequel Before Sunset (2004) and had yet to hear from Amy. Finally, in 2010, a friend of Amy's who knew about their story, contacted Linklater to tell him that Amy had died in a motorcycle accident on May 9, 1994 at the age of 24, only a few weeks before he started shooting Before Sunrise (1995). Both Linklater and Hawke were devastated but found comfort in the inspiration for the Before Trilogy.
Gone Girl - Ben Affleck postponed directing Live by Night (2016) in order to work on this film with David Fincher, even stating, "He's the only director I've met who can do everybody else's job better than they could." On-set one day, Affleck changed the lens setting on a camera an almost indiscernible amount, betting a crew member that Fincher wouldn't notice. Affleck lost the bet as Fincher brought up, "Why does the camera look a little dim?"

MoFo Reviewers

Before Midnight

What I love: The perfect dialogue. The feeling that I could be watching my own relationship. No matter your personality, where or how you live, we all go through the same things in a relationship. We hurt each other, we love each other. As upsetting as it may be this film feels as authentic as any film I have seen. I also love how they delved into Hawke's relationship with his son so much while at the same time keeping it about this couple. I would love to see another in ten years.
Read the full review here.

Gone Girl

It soon becomes clear that all is not what it seems. I have read some pretty harsh comments regarding the character of Nick, but from the start I felt real empathy for him in a difficult situation. Whilst Amy paints him out to be some sort of psychopathic monster, I think that from the first minute he comes across as much more innocent, he may be stupid, say and do the wrong things, but is this a man capable of murdering his wife? The two conflicting stories just do not add up, Amy says Nick is an abusive (both emotionally and physically) husband who wastes her money and makes her life a misery, whilst Nick seems genuinely clueless to the allegations surrounding him, he claims that identity fraud has taken place and that he has not been spending Amy’s money, that he has never hit her and so on.
Read the full review here.

Gone Girl is an excellent movie that keeps me thoroughly engaged every time I watch it. I would probably rank it in my top 50 of the decade, maybe even higher, but not quite high enough to vote for it.

I don't think I've seen Before Midnight. I haven't liked anything I've seen from Linklater so I'm not in any rush to get to it.

Seen: 20/36
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My move recent review for Gone Girl:

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
(Rewatch)

I decided to follow a cautionary tale about not putting your dick in crazy with a cautionary tale about not putting your dick in crazy. I know I said that I'm not so much into that and I've also said that I don't like movies about shitty people doing shitty things to each other, but this is an exception to both statements.

So what, then, is the difference? Whereas Thirst Street's Gina was an awkward, anxiety ridden idiot, Gone Girl's Amy is smart, sophisticated, calculating, and - most importantly - interesting. And while she and Nick are both most definitely shitty people, hers is a satisfying kind of shittiness that her douchebag husband kind of deserves. Even if only kind of. Add to that David Fincher's gift at telling twisted tales and you've got one hell of an entertaining watch.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Clever clues. Clever stuff. Keeping me away from that lead I see.

Anyways Gone Girl was probably close to making my top 50. I do think it's a pretty good film.

Have not seen Before Midnight. So now I'm up to 10 unseen. Getting a bit too high to recover and be at 100%, especially since there's at least 15-20 more than will probably show that I'll have to see too.

mark f

Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, 2013)

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
-

An entry in the diary of his missing wife Rosamund Pike may prove problematic for Ben Affleck.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Anyway, this is two films I both really like, but one a good amount more.

In fact Before Midnight is perhaps one of my favorite films and I love the trilogy as a whole.

Therefore that movie was also #11 on my list.

I wrote two gargantuan reviews for both, so I don’t think I can really say much else than what was said in those haha.

Here they are:

Just kidding, here they really are:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...15#post1375615

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...32#post1225232

Two fantastic movies, both appear on my list.

I see @SpelingError quoted some of my review. I think that must have been after my first viewing.

Gone Girl

David Fincher, 2014

Anyone who has seen Gone Girl will know that it is incredibly difficult to review the film without giving away major plot details and spoiling the film for others. Going into the film I had seen a couple of trailers, knew the general idea and had heard a few comments regarding the films tone and quality, but nothing prepared me for what I thought was a fantastic two and a half hours, filled with so many fresh and often hilarious surprises.

David Fincher is a perfect match for the films mysterious plot, especially in the first half of the film which is filled with dark, edge of your seat moments as we are introduced to the two central characters, to Nick (Affleck) who narrates from the present day as his wife has gone missing, and from Amy (Pike) who tells her story in flashback form as she tells of her troubled relationship from a diary she keeps, detailing how her marriage turned from exciting love to a living nightmare, living in fear of her husband.

It soon becomes clear that all is not what it seems. I have read some pretty harsh comments regarding the character of Nick, but from the start I felt real empathy for him in a difficult situation. Whilst Amy paints him out to be some sort of psychopathic monster, I think that from the first minute he comes across as much more innocent, he may be stupid, say and do the wrong things, but is this a man capable of murdering his wife? The two conflicting stories just do not add up, Amy says Nick is an abusive (both emotionally and physically) husband who wastes her money and makes her life a misery, whilst Nick seems genuinely clueless to the allegations surrounding him, he claims that identity fraud has taken place and that he has not been spending Amy’s money, that he has never hit her and so on.

WARNING: "Gone Girl" spoilers below
When the twist comes about half way (reminding me of the classic noir, Laura), it becomes much clearer about what type of characters we are dealing with. The hunt for Amy becomes much more needed for Nick who faces an uphill battle to save himself after being torn apart in terms of his public image.

I must say, that from the start I suspected that the characters would turn out to be like how they are, the writing makes subtle hints at a much darker, controlling side to Amy who sees herself as above people and blames Nick for a series of problems with her life. He may be a bit of an a*shole, he is guilty of having an affair with one of his students, but he does not deserve what he gets. Amy is a completely different monster, one of the scariest film villains in recent history, there is evil in her smile, a volatile unpredictability about her which sends shivers down your spine. Pike is absolutely brilliant as a psychopath who will go to extreme lengths to get what she wants. A certain scene with Neil Patrick Harris is particularly brilliant and dark.

One of the most surprising things about the film is just how funny it is. The audience I was with in the cinema was laughing all the way through the film. A lot of the humour is sick and twisted, but it really is hilarious. The last half an hour is particularly funny, but there are many great moments throughout. The opening line about Nick cracking his wife’s skull sets the tone for the dark comedy that is present throughout. The biggest laughs probably came from Tyler Perry’s character’s comment about their “f*cked up marriage”, and a certain moment when Nick utters (I believe it was) “you f*cking b*tch”.

Rosamund Pike aside, who for me, absolutely steals the show and must at least be nominated for an Oscar, there are great performances all round. Admittedly, I am not the biggest Ben Affleck fan, but here he is perfect, he suits a laid back a*shole, and I think in many ways he is quite relatable and human. Tyler Perry (who upon researching, seems like a very odd choice) is great and often very funny as Nick’s lawyer and so I Neil Patrick Harris as Amy’s creepy stalker.

From a technical viewpoint, as with all Fincher films that I have seen, the film is a pleasure to watch. The first half is darker (in terms of actual look) than the second as dark mystery and comedy are balanced together. The score is quite subdued at times, but always very powerful and effective. Many people have mentioned how the film feels like a noir, and the first half certainly does seem to evoke certain elements in its storytelling style, the whole thing feels very pulpy and fun, the second half can perhaps be compared to something like Basic Instinct, and there are clear nods to certain thriller/horrors such as Psycho and Play Misty For Me.

Gone Girl is a film I would definitely recommend going to the cinema to see if you can. It was a great experience for me and although some people have complained about certain plot elements, it is a great ride that is very fresh and creative; it is scary, funny and extremely enjoyable.

This is the ultimate anti-date movie, if you are going to the film with your partner, you won't be proposing to them soon after.
It's a film I've seen many times since and it's become a real favourite of mine within a genre, and is quite a big inspiration for a film script I'm trying to write.

Here's me writing about Before Midnight on a couple of occasions...

Much more serious and at times difficult to watch than the first to films, this is an at times much more cynical though realistic in its look at relationships, life, ambitions, family etc. Some of the camerawork and dialogue - particularly at the beginning of the film - is wonderful, as are the performances, which goes without saying if you have seen the first or second films. I have heard Delpy's character being criticised for her character in this film, and although I don't completely agree and do sympathise with her character, I always felt after watching the second film that her character would eventually become a problem with Hawke's character, who always seemed much more 'committed' to the idea that this dream relationship could be maintained, and felt sorry for him at times when Delpy's character appears to mock and undermine his hopes

When I first watched this film I thought it was very good but deep down I think I was a little bit hurt by what I had seen. Having loved the first two films so much (especially Before Sunrise) I think that 18-year-old me wasn't ready for the next more emotionally mature and complex stage in the trilogy. I rewatched the whole trilogy a couple of years ago with my brother and now think that there's not much separating each film. Midnight is at times more challenging, but it now felt more authentic and realistic to me. I absolutely adore Linklater's writing and how he captures realistic human emotions.
9. The Handmaiden (2016)
15. Gone Girl (2014)
17. Before Midnight (2013)
25. A Separation (2011)

Another really good pair that I didn’t vote for.

Before Midnight was the perfect end to the trilogy. That trilogy has awesome bread with some kind of gross olive loaf in the middle.

Gone Girl is exactly the kind of thriller I love. Good characters, super entertaining with a good atmosphere. I always forget just enough that rewatching is a joy.

I thought Gone Girl was decent--Fincher's films often leave me a little cold for some reason, though.

I'm a big fan of the Before trilogy--Ethan Hawke is my movie doppleganger, and the timing of these films roughly parallel my own life's romantic arc (Hawke is just over a year older than I am). Though I haven't seen Before Midnight in a while, it was my #21. It's due a rewatch.

Reply to Topic