Opinions on BFI 2022 Sight and Sound Poll

Tools    

The trick is not minding
It's easy to understand why some audience members are only going to think about peeling potatoes or meatloaf or making beds. I'm sympathetic to the boredom. I'm even sympathetic to some of the skepticism.

But it's enraging when you or myself or Takoma or lots of other people can explain why the film works for us and there isn't the slightest engagement beyond calling such people pretentious or phonies or having agendas that have nothing to do with film.

Is it too much to ask, if someone wants to make the claim that a movie absolutely cannot be considered good, that is in fact totally worthless, that they show some basic understanding of what is happening in the film. Be at least vaguely humble to the possibility that they may have missed something? Or that some people simply like different things then them?

I think superhero movies are shit. But I at least don't claim people are pretending to like them. I can at least understand why they do like them. And if I do either of the above, I will take my critical punches because I would deserve them.
Pretty much. It’s like how I feel towards Fulci, Verhoeven, and Cassavetes, or towards Spaghetti Westerns in general. Neither works that well for me, but that doesn’t mean I can’t see any merit in why others would. I’ll also keep watching from both Fulci, Verhoeven, Cassavetes and more Spaghetti Westerns because there is still so much to see from them. And maybe something might come along that I overlooked.

People might be baffled why I’d continue to do so, but in the words of Mark F, it’s simply because they exist.

Pretty much. It’s like how I feel towards Fulci, Verhoeven, and Cassavetes, or towards Spaghetti Westerns in general. Neither works that well for me, but that doesn’t mean I can’t see any merit in why others would. I’ll also keep watching from both Fulci, Verhoeven, Cassavetes and more Spaghetti Westerns because there is still so much to see from them. And maybe something might come along that I overlooked.

People might be baffled why I’d continue to do so, but in the words of Mark F,it’s simply because they exist.

Not everything is for everybody. Nor should it be. The best we can be, if we are at least curious about all the ways cinema might affect us, is to return to these things that turn us off, that we were skeptical about, that we maybe even rightfully hated. Because you never know. And there is no valour in refusing to budge on your opinions in art. No shame in liking the wrong thing, or hating the right thing. But just try and have some respect for the artform. To allow artists to break out of shells and try different things, even if they aren't catered to your specific tastes. Because all this 'you shouldn't make a movie that does so and so' is Luddite, backwards, incurious bullshit. The exact kind of thing artists of any repute need to shit all over.

Also, Mark F's philosophy was a sound one.

If movies at all matter to you, just indiscriminantly dive in. Just let them happen to you. And maybe, after you come up for a quick breath, try and come up with some reasons of why the ones you like matter to you. And why the ones you didn't left you cold. Then sink right back in and try to learn something else. And if by the time of your next breath you come up with the same reasoning, you have failed art. Don't even bother coming up next time.

Interesting list: https://letterboxd.com/bfi/list/sigh...s-of-all-time/

Overall I think it's an improvement over the 2012 poll since Miyazaki's movies increased their placing. Ideally, I think that Miyazaki should have more than 2, but about 5-6 of his movies should be in the top 100 for the correct representation of the artistic influence of his work, as he almost single-handily created modern animation. Besides that, I still think this poll is worse than the IMDB top 250 because Miyazaki has about 4-5 movies there.

More seriously, the problem with asking movie critics about such things is that movies are a personal experience, and the opinions of critics (who are basically people who get paid to write about movies) are not necessarily going to match better my own experience with a movie than the opinions of other regular people (like those who rate movies on the IMDB). Overall, I think I liked more the movies on the IMDB top 250 on average; however, there were very powerful movies that I saw on this poll that I didn't see on the IMDB top 250 (for example, Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr's movies). But also some pretentious arthouse nonsense which I would rather not name.

Great films don't change every ten years...fashion and fads do. The fact that the BFI wanted female and POC filmmakers so they manipulated the poll to get the result they wanted. By doing so they violated the integrity of the poll.
I think that's good since people shouldn't take lists very seriously anyway (I recall when I took critics' opinions more seriously, that Roger Ebert once said that top movie lists are BS).

In my opinion, the best movie ever directed by women is The Matrix, which I didn't see there. The follow-up is Silent Voice by Naoko Yamada.

On this subject, I'd like to add that if an agenda is to be incorporated into a list, then it must use pre-existing praise for a film to make the addition feel more realistic. In other words, if BFI is indeed being feminist about this, they'd have to use the previously limitied praise for Jeanne Dielman and justify cheating with the previously limited praise by emphasizing the theme that goes hand-in-hand with modern popular politics. It's also easy to throw sexism accusations to skeptics who understand how the process works.

Having said that, I am not denying that Jeanne Dielman has touched hearts. The film must be especially painful for any female critics who had gone through such a lifestyle before finally becoming a voice in the magazines, meaning the movie represents a cruel reminder for females who have already proven themselves. Thus, we have a proper reason to appreciate the art of the film.

Having said that, not only is the artfilm such an acquired taste, but the theme itself isn't exactly the most marketable one. When you include popularity into the mix, even among critics, there is at least cause for skepticism towards the amount of votes in lieu of hard evidence. But to get angry about it doesn't necessarily help the accusation to take form. In the end, it's circumstantial evidence and nothing more, which means there's the possibility that these people are being completely honest. However, they ARE technically journalists...

Now my personal stance is simple. I don't discount the possibility that the critics were told what types of films to vote for. Having said that, I accept the list as it is because I can't change anything. But I take the list as easily as I take most other magazine lists: with a grain of salt. Rolling Stone's bull pretty much cemented that, so we got what we got, and the most I can do is work my way through the list for the sake of forum conversation, because in the end, all that really matters to me is what my fellow MoFo's say.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean "in lieu of evidence." The BFI is eventually going to release all of the ballots and everyone will be able to see how many and who voted for what.

The editors of S&S didn't cast ballots themselves, I believe.

The main thing S&S did was expand the voting pool (doubled it from the past decade), which is, yes, actually rather dramatic, but it isn't some great conspiracy that Siddon seems to be thinking it is.

And I don't know why you keep citing the Rolling Stone list. I don't think anyone ever really looked at that one and placed any great weight on it as any type of canonical list* (well, I mean, I'd guess the They Shoot Pictures top 1000 probably includes it into its aggregate, but that's kind of an interesting wisdom of the crowds approach to creating a best of list - of which the S&S poll has one of the greatest weights on (though, not just the current one, but all of the past ones get aggregated into that as well. At least that's what somebody told me)).

The video Siddon linked to actually isn't a bad take (IMO) on the list, though it doesn't really prove anything he's claiming.

*: I should probably put canonical in quotes since no list of 100 movies could be a complete film-canon.

Making nasty comments about other posters seems a lot easier to you than actually defending a film where a woman peels potatoes for 20 minutes. It's pretentious and emboldens people like you to act like it's great cinema when in reality it's just a modern art installation that if it were directed by a man wouldn't be on the list. The editors wanted females and POC on the lists so they lied and cheated to get the results they wanted.

"The editors [...] so they lied and cheated"...

I have to question the grasp on reality someone has to make that statement.
Or they really just have no idea what they're talking about.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean "in lieu of evidence." The BFI is eventually going to release all of the ballots and everyone will be able to see how many and who voted for what.

The editors of S&S didn't cast ballots themselves, I believe.

The main thing S&S did was expand the voting pool (doubled it from the past decade), which is, yes, actually rather dramatic, but it isn't some great conspiracy that Siddon seems to be thinking it is.

And I don't know why you keep citing the Rolling Stone list. I don't think anyone ever really looked at that one and placed any great weight on it as any type of canonical list* (well, I mean, I'd guess the They Shoot Pictures top 1000 probably includes it into its aggregate, but that's kind of an interesting wisdom of the crowds approach to creating a best of list - of which the S&S poll has one of the greatest weights on (though, not just the current one, but all of the past ones get aggregated into that as well. At least that's what somebody told me)).

The video Siddon linked to actually isn't a bad take (IMO) on the list, though it doesn't really prove anything he's claiming.

*: I should probably put canonical in quotes since no list of 100 movies could be a complete film-canon.
"Evidence" in this case pertains to any evidence detailing which types of movies critics were told by A&S to vote for, which is one conspiracy theory I've heard. I use Rolling Stone magazine's top 500 only to detail my lack of dedication to the authenticity of magazine lists in general. That's all it illustrates.

Having said that, as opposed to the supposed "conspiracy," it's also entirely likely that they included more female critics and the females wanted to pick something feminist to put on their lists for a number of either honest or potentially dishonest reasons, with an honest one being that one relates not only to the themes of the film but to the politics, or dishonest in the sense that one wants to promote an agenda and is thinking more along those lines than the art of filmmaking, using any previous positive reception as the "justification." Depending on the critic, the level of pure honesty will vary. In other words, the accused "conspiracy" would amount to no more than a fad, involving a bunch of people with a political mentality which may or may not get in the way of their perception of quality, once again, depending on the critic.

Personally, I don't care whether or not people love Jeanne Dielman. If you have more fun picking out the little details than I did, more power to ya. Once again, I found myself naturally in the middle of the debate: liked it but never loved it.

But it's enraging when you or myself or Takoma or lots of other people can explain why the film works for us and there isn't the slightest engagement beyond calling such people pretentious or phonies or having agendas that have nothing to do with film.

I'm glad to see Dielman at number one. It not only is one of the few films that deserves such a placing, but it should make some people scream in protest, which is always fun (it should still be 2001 though but...whatever...if they haven't gotten that one right by this point they never will)

So just so I get this straight you want me to care about your feelings of this "film"...but you admit that you enjoy people being upset about it's selection.

Simply put I don't believe you, I don't think people who like this movie actually like this movie. Going through this list I believe the editors decided to put on airs. You want me to articulate why the film is bad...I'd argue it's not even a film. It's a gimmick that is being pushed at a time when we aren't judging the art but rather the artist.

It was pushed out there for self promotion. For all we know James Cameron is going to write BFI nice big check and surprise Avatar is number #1.

The trick is not minding
So just so I get this straight you want me to care about your feelings of this "film"...but you admit that you enjoy people being upset about it's selection.

Simply put I don't believe you, I don't think people who like this movie actually like this movie. Going through this list I believe the editors decided to put on airs. You want me to articulate why the film is bad...I'd argue it's not even a film. It's a gimmick that is being pushed at a time when we aren't judging the art but rather the artist.

It was pushed out there for self promotion. For all we know James Cameron is going to write BFI nice big check and surprise Avatar is number #1.
I lived Jeanne Dielman. That’s not a lie either. Probably works better as a character study, of sorts.

The truth is in here
Assuming people are lying about being into a movie is never a good preset. You can control what you consume and what you like, but you can never control the fact that some people will disagree with your taste. Not everybody's state of mind will be the same watching a movie. What someone might find meaningful I could find vapid and pointless, and vice versa.

If you're going to refuse to believe that anyone loves the film, regardless of what any of us say about it, I don't really see the discussion going anywhere. Like, you're welcome to believe whatever you want. That's just the kind of argument which puts the entire discussion at a standstill.

If you're going to refuse to believe that anyone loves the film, regardless of what any of us say about it, I don't really see the discussion going anywhere. Like, you're welcome to believe whatever you want. That's just the kind of argument which puts the entire discussion at a standstill.

Am I supposed to believe the review or the motivation behind the review and the resulting posts?

Causation might not mean correlation but in this case it seems like it does. I don't know if it's trolling or pretentiousness but it seems like it at the end of the day you aren't just simply defending this as a good movie but you are defending this as the greatest film of all-time.

The trick is not minding
Am I supposed to believe the review or the motivation behind the review and the resulting posts?

Causation might not mean correlation but in this case it seems like it does. I don't know if it's trolling or pretentiousness but it seems like it at the end of the day you aren't just simply defending this as a good movie but you are defending this as the greatest film of all-time.
Please present some sort of evidence that I, or Speling, or Takoma, or Mr Minio or many other admirers of this films have said that this is absolutely the greatest film of all time. Our arguments have been more about it being worthy of the discussion as being AMONG the best, which isn’t the same thing.

Our defense of the film isn’t meant to provoke, Siddon, nor meant to troll. You’re simply just dismissing any discussion towards the films merits, in our eyes, and Crumbs has pointed this out already, without acknowledging that it may have resonated with the voters, or even us.

Please do not presume to have some sort of insight as to what was going through my head during my recent viewing of this.

As evidence,I submit I watched this with a fellow MoFo (won’t name who out of respect they may not wish to be named), and this person could attest to my astonishment at this film as it unfolded before my yes. The last scene? My jaw literally dropped.
I literally exclaimed “What?!”

It left me speechless.

Please do not question my motivations behind this film.

Please present some sort of evidence that I, or Speling, or Takoma, or Mr Minio or many other admirers of this films have said that this is absolutely the greatest film of all time. Our arguments have been more about it being worthy of the discussion as being AMONG the best, which isn’t the same thing.
But of course, if someone thinks it is the greatest film of all time and backs up their reasoning well, there's nothing wrong with that.

Our defense of the film isn’t meant to provoke, Siddon, nor meant to troll. You’re simply just dismissing any discussion towards the films merits, in our eyes, and Crumbs has pointed this out already, without acknowledging that it may have resonated with the voters, or even us.

Please do not presume to have some sort of insight as to what was going through my head during my recent viewing of this.

As evidence,I submit I watched this with a fellow MoFo (won’t name who out of respect they may not wish to be named), and this person could attest to my astonishment at this film as it unfolded before my yes. The last scene? My jaw literally dropped.
I literally exclaimed “What?!”

It left me speechless.

Please do not question my motivations behind this film.

I don't know if I believe you or not...you haven't made your motivations clear. You likely don't have anything to gain however...

When one person claims they are happy because it's going to piss people off that's evidence. When the creators of the list state their intentions not for classics but for better representation that is also evidence.

You turn around and wish for me to respect your opinions of the film. But if you are watching these films with other posters can I really trust you now. That's the thing about conspiracies if you are telling me that a group of you are passionate about the film my reaction is "meh". But when you wish to attack someone for not really buying it then it's just typical good enough for me not good enough for thee.

Also I'm not sure how a film that's three hours of housework can than have the response from it's "fans" that it's not pretentious. I don't get the thin skinned nature of that response. Why is it that me believing that you actual like this film a big deal? Why is it such a big deal that you are okay with essentially bullying for not believing you.

But once again not really addressing you because you didn't start off this discussion talking about how much fun it is that people hate this film. You just like turned the other way and tried to pile onto something you felt.

The trick is not minding
At this point, I don’t see any possible reason to continue with the conversation. It won’t get either of us anywhere. Just a few final notes, however.

This isn’t some big conspiracy among MoFos, which is how it’s being framed.

I get the film isn’t for everybody, and that’s ok. To go that extra mile and dismiss its popularity as some sort of conspiracy is a little far fetched, however, don’t you think?

The truth is in here
Also I'm not sure how a film that's three hours of housework can than have the response from it's "fans" that it's not pretentious. I don't get the thin skinned nature of that response.
Because once again, the film was not your thing. If you feel radically different about a movie than someone else it might be harder to relate to the emotional response they had during it. That doesn't mean their opinion is invalid or should be regarded as suspicious.

Why is it that me believing that you actual like this film a big deal? Why is it such a big deal that you are okay with essentially bullying for not believing you.
Don't even know what to say to this. Because nobody likes being bullied??? How is this even a question. It's made worse by the fact that Wyldeswyde is trying to talk with you civilly and you're still treating them like a troll. That's not giving someone a fair chance.

Yeah, unsurprisingly I've had to delete a bunch of posts.

This seems like it might be winding down, but if it winds back up and comes anywhere near the same vitriol it reached before, I'm going to close it. In the meantime I'd encourage everyone to make a special effort to answer what the other person is actually saying, and to only reply if they have the self-discipline to continue doing so substantively. If not, bow out.