The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I had a somewhat similar issue. I replaced a wonky 32" TV (it was free) with a Black Friday deal on a 43" TV here in my office. The cool lazy susan I was using to swivel the 32" TV from the couch to my desk (depending on where I was in the room) was no longer wide enough. In a pinch I found a few old boards on the third floor. Those were long enough to accommodate the extra width of the TV, but the lazy susan wasn't deep enough to accommodate the spread of those wider feet on the TV. So I bought two cheap wooden rulers (the feet depth was about 9") to lay perpendicular on the boards, then topped it off with little pieces of rubbery shelf liner to keep the feet from slipping. It's ugly, but for now it's working just great and I still have the function of the lazy susan when I need it.

brilliant! but how do you change records? i assume you must have Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars loaded up. I'd probably never change records either. I am glad we are in agreement that Bowie is the greatest artist, ever.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
brilliant! but how do you change records? i assume you must have Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars loaded up. I'd probably never change records either. I am glad we are in agreement that Bowie is the greatest artist, ever.
That's a USB turntable that I mostly use just to transfer old vinyl into MP3 format. All my albums from the 1970s/1980s are safely ensconced on a shelf in the living room. I go through bursts where I bring a bunch up and digitize them, then get tired of doing it for many, many months.

So, in this picture it's not even plugged in. I'll dig it out of that spot and attach it to my computer the next time I feel like digitizing more albums.

I have a dual cassette deck in a similar predicament, in a cubby under my tv too.

Speaking of Al, I recently watched Popstar again and noticed what I thought was a cameo of him near the end, presenting a stage act during the "Poppies" award show. I'm positive that was him.

You ready? You look ready.
@Austruck @ynwtf

I swapped em. Just made the most sense and didn’t cost me anything extra.

I’m also going to eventually hang my 43in LG on the wall above the Trinitron and drive it with my One S.

Returnal UPDATE
Biome 1 - Cleared

|o.o|
I DUDDITS!!!

Last night I had a rollercoaster of a run through Biome 1 again. It started GREAT! Baddies were average risk, drops were in my favor, and health boosts were early on. Then I took my luck for granted and decided to try a shotgun style weapon that I normally avoid, but the damage field was a level up from what I had so I thought why not. Well, now I know why not. A few screens later I was swarmed with about 8 of those annoying laser-guided vampire bat looking things. I nearly died. Twice.

Not long after, I found the weapon I needed WITH a damage upgrade, so on I went. I was lucky, too, to find a few more health bumps AND access to the boss early on in this run. Once I felt confident with my health and weapon choice, I started the recording.

Phrike is DOWN!!!! Everything after the first 6-8 minutes is brand new territory for me, hence the hesitation and corner peeking.

The good news is that Phrike has been killed, I can skip his room on future runs. As long as I can find the portal to Biome 2, then I should be good to jump on through. The bad news is that once I die (and I'm on borrowed time as it is), I start over way back at the crashed ship and every thing resets. Well, everything except for my learned weapon proficiencies. I just need to hope the RNG drops some of the weapons I've practiced, next time.

As a kid I always thought it was “lock ass foils in attack position”

Been playing 20-30 minute sessions of Rouge Squadron II after work the last few nights: 6th generation was gaming at its finest. I remember playing this in Walmart. Pretty sure I compressed a disc in my spine. Only reason we had a PS2 in the house was because I sold it as a DVD player and shared with the family, so there was no way we were getting a GameCube.

I have a dual cassette deck in a similar predicament, in a cubby under my tv too.

Speaking of Al, I recently watched Popstar again and noticed what I thought was a cameo of him near the end, presenting a stage act during the "Poppies" award show. I'm positive that was him.
Yup, he played Hammerleg Lead Singer in Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping. Good eye!

@Austruck @ynwtf

I swapped em. Just made the most sense and didn’t cost me anything extra.

So now I gotta get everything setup as follows:

Panasonic retro cart will have a PS2, once I acquire another, and a GameCube. It will be mobile, so I can store it at the foot of my bed and play there or roll out to the living room. And since it’s a bigger screen I won’t mind sitting 6 ft back from it. PS2 will be on component and GameCube on S-video.

Trinitron retro cart is going to have my busted PS2 as a glorified PSX until I can reacquire one (nothing quite like that startup sound), a N64, and a Genesis. This cart will be stationary, and I’ll sit 3 ft away like the old days. So it’s smaller size won’t be an issue. Plus, its component input is amazing with the Genesis. The N64 and future PSX will be on composite.

I’ll post more photos once everything is properly finished, but I am stoked. Both these TVs easily have less than 100hrs on them, so they are gonna be around for a long time.

I’m also going to eventually hang my 43in LG on the wall above the Trinitron and drive it with my One S.
I'm glad to see you finding a use for old CRT TVs. We have three of them here (in various sizes) that are just taking up space. Can't put 'em out to the curb--nobody will take them. Can't just pitch 'em. Even thrift stores don't want 'em anymore. SO here they sit. I can't find anyone who wants them.

Come to think of it, I have a few huge electric ugly typewriters in this same situation. (NOT the one you gave me, McClane--I still have and LOVE that one!)

Hmmm, couldn't find you. My username is quantum_tea if you want to add me.
I couldn't find either of you! Nor did I see any requests. Google shows a few others unable to locate users when searching. weird.

mostly putting this out in case you all were wondering why i'm ignoring invites! i'm not =\

A system of cells interlinked
As a kid I always thought it was “lock ass foils in attack position”

Been playing 20-30 minute sessions of Rouge Squadron II after work the last few nights: 6th generation was gaming at its finest. I remember playing this in Walmart. Pretty sure I compressed a disc in my spine. Only reason we had a PS2 in the house was because I sold it as a DVD player and shared with the family, so there was no way we were getting a GameCube.
Easily the best time for experimentation and progression in gaming, as well as having the most "have to play" titles out at any given time.

I'm glad to see you finding a use for old CRT TVs. We have three of them here (in various sizes) that are just taking up space. Can't put 'em out to the curb--nobody will take them. Can't just pitch 'em. Even thrift stores don't want 'em anymore. SO here they sit. I can't find anyone who wants them.

Come to think of it, I have a few huge electric ugly typewriters in this same situation. (NOT the one you gave me, McClane--I still have and LOVE that one!)
Give us some model numbers. Let’s see if you’re sitting on retro gaming gold!

I don’t ever remember games looking as good as they do on these TVs. The clarity is ridiculous. No photo or video does it justice. I am looking forward to replaying everything. And I am never selling what I have ever again. I made that mistake once and to reacquire some things over the last decade has been difficult. A few things are probably irreplaceable at this point because the condition I kept my stuff is $$$ now.

I was smart and kept every last bit of N64 gear, but my Genesis collection was way better. Patience has at least delivered some wins my way. A lot of the stuff I got now has taken me a long time to find because I refuse to pay most current prices. To think a whole industry would amass around old games…I should have bought doubles and kept em sealed. Current games are never going to appreciate like the stuff from my childhood.

I couldn't find either of you! Nor did I see any requests. Google shows a few others unable to locate users when searching. weird.

mostly putting this out in case you all were wondering why i'm ignoring invites! i'm not =\
Awesome, I think I found you both. Let me know if you got my request.

I think they need to fix their friend search algorithm.

Awesome, I think I found you both. Let me know if you got my request.

I think they need to fix their friend search algorithm.
agreed. I ended up installing the app on my phone. I got the request there and you're added!

there's a frog in my snake oil
So very little going on in the PCVR world at the moment. But this one launch I'm looking forward to...

Made for VR, and hopefully chock full of varied mechanics & daft sensibilities like the original

Give us some model numbers. Let’s see if you’re sitting on retro gaming gold!

I don’t ever remember games looking as good as they do on these TVs. The clarity is ridiculous. No photo or video does it justice. I am looking forward to replaying everything. And I am never selling what I have ever again. I made that mistake once and to reacquire some things over the last decade has been difficult. A few things are probably irreplaceable at this point because the condition I kept my stuff is $$$ now.

I was smart and kept every last bit of N64 gear, but my Genesis collection was way better. Patience has at least delivered some wins my way. A lot of the stuff I got now has taken me a long time to find because I refuse to pay most current prices. To think a whole industry would amass around old games…I should have bought doubles and kept em sealed. Current games are never going to appreciate like the stuff from my childhood.

Model numbers for the TVs?? Unsure offhand. Two are 25" and one is 27" ... which seemed HUGE at the time I bought it.

I have my original Wii still hooked up to the 65" Vizio downstairs and it still works (with an HD adapter). I have about a dozen games for it that all still work, plus the Wii Fit board and stuff. I should fire up the Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii and see how it looks compared to the new New Horizons version on the Switch. But, like you, I don't have any games in unopened form. My "old games" are mostly old PC games, from the original Myst from the early 1990s to many, many others on CDs and then later DVDs.

And I still have those five Riven 3.5" floppy disks. I bet @Yoda remembers having to switch out those disks at just the wrong times.

All I need is a rug now.

EDIT: I also found a copy of Alien 3 for Genesis at a pawn shop this past week. I was playing that this morning and that game has aged really well, and omg, I swear getting the component cable was worth the 7 month wait. That Xenomorph sprite is even more terrifying

All I need is a rug now.

EDIT: I also found a copy of Alien 3 for Genesis at a pawn shop this past week. I was playing that this morning and that game has aged really well, and omg, I swear getting the component cable was worth the 7 month wait. That Xenomorph sprite is even more terrifying

keep the n64 its good for ur memories