The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow. Great movie, just about.

Super fun, competently directed with a really intriguing script. Manages to take a basic idea that we've seen before but turn it into something fresh and exciting. I love Tom Cruise and I've talked about that a lot recently on here, I think he's one of the greatest modern actors around and I'm constantly excited to see his movies. I'm glad this list gave me the final push to watch this one.

This is the best I've seen Emily Blunt who even through the way she looks, her facial and body expressions, manages to convey so much. Every time he went back to her, the little looks, fleeting moments they share.

One thing I was disappointed about is...

WARNING: "Edge of Tomorrow" spoilers below
How the third act of the film almost cops out on the romantic/humanistic angle.

For me the height of the film is at the farmhouse where he realises he needs to ditch her going forward for their plan to work.

I love how the film explores this element, about how he has grown to love her, and she will never know about all the conversations they've had and time they've spent together.

I guess the closest sort of stuff you could compare this to is Tarkovsky.

Obviously the ending hints at a happy ending, and I love the face of Tom Cruise as he walks up to her, but I almost wish it didn't cut straight to the credits afterward.

They managed to handle the balance so well of being an action film and an existential philosophical one that I was disappointed they didn't show us the aftermath and their final reunion.

Edge of Tomorrow is good sci-fi, and that's a rare thing so live it up people and appreciate it when we get it. Oh wait, I guess you did since it made the list. All right then.

Take Shelter is another quality film with an amazing performance to back it up. Happy to see it here. A big thumbs up but no votes from me.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think it speaks to how many movies I loved from this decade that I keep having to go back to my list to confirm whether certain films were on my ballot or not.

Neither Edge of Tomorrow (which I saw twice in theaters and had a blast both times) nor Take Shelter were on my ballot, but they are both very solid films and deserve their spots.

Yes and the answer was Edge of Tomorrow...that's how those things work
That actually wasn't a glitch. I intentionally posted the number 68 twice for the hint.

That actually wasn't a glitch. I intentionally posted the number 68 twice for the hint.

I thought you posted it twice just to emphasize that you DIDN'T glitch.

Haven't seen Take Shelter. I should at some point.

I felt like Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat was two thirds of a good movie. I mean it's nice to watch the various ways Tom Cruise get killed and there was good chemistry between his character and Emily Blunt's character. And yes, it works for the majority of the time as a video game movie (something other films would be wise to look at this one's formula if they're interested in doing the same). I think it starts losing steam in the final third as things turn more conventional and Blunt's character takes a back seat. I liked it, but it wasn't going to make my list.

I think the hint just clicked for me and you are absolutely right. Well played, SpelingError.

Er... I mean, I was totally confident in my own guess. Obviously. Heh.

Yeah, the premise of reliving a certain day over and over again was already done in Groundhog Day

Everyone always neglects the best time loop movie of 1993.

I always forget how good Edge of Tomorrow is until I'm actually watching it.

Take Shelter is a very good picture. Good acting, interesting story. Shannon's forte is playing slightly strange characters.

I'd forgotten that Shannon and Chastain had been together in this one. Have been watching the recent George & Tammy (2022) series in which they co-star with good chemistry.

The film did not make my top 25.