The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I always wondered whether anyone actually reads the trivia posted here.
I do but only for the films I've seen.

Edge of Tomorrow is a perfectly adequate movie that I don’t quite understand all the love for.

I’ve never heard of Take Shelter, and psychological dramas/thrillers usually aren’t my thing but this one has my attention. Definitely gonna check it out.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Edge of Tomorrow is a perfectly adequate movie that I don’t quite understand all the love for.

I’ve never heard of Take Shelter, and psychological dramas/thrillers usually aren’t my thing but this one has my attention. Definitely gonna check it out.
It's an amazing journey for Cruise's character from coward marketing officer to ultimate warrior/grizzled veteran, a believable one too as he could have spent decades battling every day, and Emily Blunt probably has an even better character in Rita Vrataski. It's clever, it's funny and surprisingly never repetitive, they pay you, the audience respect by giving you just enough to get it and make it all plausible. Strong support too in the form of Brendan Gleeson and Bill Pullman who is brilliant, in one of his last roles RIP.

Probably one of my most re-watched movies of the last 7-8 years, still fun too. The only slightly predictable part is the ending but hard to see what else they could have done.

There was news of a sequel a couple of years back, hope it happens. One of the most underrated movies of the decade, probably gets lumped in with dull affairs like Oblivion which was made around the same time.

My number 6, high placement due to it's re-watchability.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Second time in a row, I haven't heard either of the reveals.

17/32 seen
2/32 on my ballot

I have seen Edge of Tomorrow and its meh.

i haven't seen Take Shelter and I am intrigued by what you, MoFos have said about it. I have experienced psychosis and I am always interested to see how it is handled in film or novels.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Edge of Tomorrow is great fun. It's what a video game movie should be like, in terms of the experience and the feeling of it. Everyone I've recommended it to has liked it, it's the sort of film that can and does have wide appeal. I didn't consider it for my list though.

Edge of Tomorrow - it was fun watching Tom Cruise get killed over and over again.

Take Shelter - after hearing praise about it for years and it not being available for streaming, became one of my first cases of, "huh, wasn't expecting to see that show up on Shudder." After watching it, it made a lot more sense. A tense, psychological thriller that I liked very much. It also crossed my mind very belatedly after The Exorcist discussion with Yoda with him bemoaning the lack of serious religious horror these days that this would be something I'd consider would qualify (citing Midnight Special as supporting evidence in terms of it being read that way).

Neither were in consideration for my ballot.

Take Shelter is superb. Reminds me of a modern-day The Birds. I need to watch more Jeff Nichols. This was Michael Shannon at his best.
+

Haven't seen the other

Have not seen any of the last 4. My brother had Easy A (left behind by his ex)

I haven't seen Take Shelter or Easy A, though my room mate really likes the latter and I think there's a copy in the house somewhere.

I'm not going to logic puzzle out the relations here to explain what is clearly the same copy of the movie.

Edge of Tomorrow is a fine enough movie that I really enjoyed when watching, but none of it stayed with me. I'm a bit surprised to see it so close to Take Shelter, which is just so much better.

Take Shelter was #2 on my list. I'm a sucker for these types of stories which uses a character's psychological delusions to tell a bigger story, though the bigger story in this case is just as ambivalent. It seems to be offering a warning about the growing crisis with our planet, but it could be interpreted any number of ways, and that's what makes the film so interesting. But of course, it's just well made and well acted, and watching the movie, you find yourself in the mindset of the character while also recognizing that he is not a reliable narrator. It's a very special movie I wish were higher up on the countdown, but at least it made it.

My List:

2. Take Shelter (#67)
15. A Separation (#90)

Victim of The Night
Edge of Tomorrow is good fun. With the possible exception of Palm Springs, it may be my favorite movie to use the Groundhog Day format.
I preferred Happy Death Day by a significant margin.

Glitch or not, those repeated posts from CharlesAoup are a good joke.

Originally Posted by Wooley
I preferred Happy Death Day by a significant margin.
I have heard good things. Will watchlist it.

Sorry for the weird glitch, I think they just posted at the exact time I was running an intensive query. Serves me right for doing that stuff live fire in the middle of the day.

Sorry for the weird glitch, I think they just posted at the exact time I was running an intensive query. Serves me right for doing that stuff live fire in the middle of the day.
The weird thing is, that glitch went perfectly with CharlesAoup's last post. I thought he was making a repeating reference to the repeating life of Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow.