The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ooof, Spring Breakers? I've never really understood the love it gets, but well, to each his/her own. Here's the link to my review, and a bit of a spoilery excerpt from it...

For most of its first half, the film touts the moral struggles of Faith (Gomez) as the main point of the film. Faith is torn between her religious upbringing and the party-going antics of her friends. She seems to be the central character of the story as we see her struggle with her desire to have fun and feeling a bit like an outcast with her friends and other partygoers.

So when the film decides to, inexplicably, get rid of her character at the half-point of the film, it loses the emotional resonance it might've had. This is worsened by the fact that none of the other three girls really stand out in the story, with all of them being more or less interchangeable. Franco does his best to keep things together with a surprisingly quirky and assured performance. What his Alien might've lacked in depth, he makes up in charisma, and he fills whatever scenes he's in.
As for The King's Speech, I really liked it when I saw it back in 2012, but it's not a film I've thought much of afterwards or felt compelled to revisit, so there's that as well.

So, still nothing from my ballot...

Seen: 17/24

My ballot:  

Some interesting factoids...

Speaking of Spring Breakers, it is by far the film with the worst Tomatometer ranking at 67% (the second lowest is Jojo Rabbit at 80%), so take from that what you may. It is indeed a very polarizing film, which you can see from the reactions here and from the fact that it got in with only 5 votes.

Also, forgot to mention yesterday that the Russo Bros. became the first directors with two entries on the countdown so far (Civil War and Endgame).

Speaking of Spring Breakers, it is by far the film with the worst Tomatometer ranking at 67% (the second lowest is Jojo Rabbit at 80%), so take from that what you may. It is indeed a very polarizing film, which you can see from the reactions here and from the fact that it got in with only 5 votes.

I bet its 5.3 winds up as the lowest IMDb score on the countdown by a comfortable margin.

I bet its 5.3 winds up as the lowest IMDb score on the countdown by a comfortable margin.
Yep. Just checked.

Lowest IMDb scores so far...

Spring Breakers = 5.3
It Follows = 6.8
The Witch = 6.9
The Cabin in the Woods = 7.0
(T) Certified Copy = 7.2
(T) Anomalisa = 7.2

Interesting that most of those are for horror films, a genre often looked down upon.

Highest IMDb scores so far...

Avengers: Endgame = 8.4
(T) Toy Story 3 = 8.3
(T) A Separation = 8.3
1917 = 8.2
(T) The Handmaiden = 8.1
(T) Room = 8.1
(T) World of Tomorrow = 8.1